Winchester Model 1894 new to me! 107 years young!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN

Just acquired this beauty today. Still doing more research on it, though I do know that it was made in 1906! I think I am going to have to write to the Cody Museum to get a full detail on the gun! I have seen photos that have magazine tubes that run to the end of the barrel, and then others that do not go as far!

This should be fun!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    That is in amazing condition for something that old! I have been a fan of old Winchester lever guns. That is one beauty if all original! Actually it is a great looking rifle regardless!!!

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    I will more than likely get the sheet from the Cody Firearms Dept sheet done in the near future. I want to know what the original specs were for this gun! It has half a magazine, but it also has a notch where the band would have gone to have a full magazine.

I am going to try and have a gunsmith look at it before I fire it, It has not been shot in a long time!

Bad image, but do not feel like getting out the camera..

irl104

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Central Indiana
    Hi. It appears your rifle has been reblued. The hammer, lever, and butt plate would have been case hardened at that date of manufacture. The magazine has been shortened for some reason. It originally came with a full length magazine. The checkering is not factory. Nice rifle though.

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Hi. It appears your rifle has been reblued. The hammer, lever, and butt plate would have been case hardened at that date of manufacture. The magazine has been shortened for some reason. It originally came with a full length magazine. The checkering is not factory. Nice rifle though.

Out of curiousity how can you tell that the checkering is not original, and I am looking into the the magazine, I have seen some others in this serial range with the marking under the barrel. Any idea on value in this condition?

irl104

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Central Indiana
    The checkering is too far back from where the wood meets the receiver. The dovetail is there for the front magazine tube holder. It will be 4" center from the muzzle end. It would not be there if it wasn't a full magazine rifle. Barrel is probably 26"

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN

Also found out that the barrel has been shortened to 25" but does nothing to take away from the appeal of this rifle!

I have my opinion on value, but what say you INGO?

Top Bottom