Winchester model 90 22 short or is it model 1890 ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blues bondsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2019
    Michigan City
    I just did some horse trading with some non firearm stuff and got a load of wall hangers including this 22 short Winchester.
    The take down screw just keeps spinning and so the threads on the opposite side of the receiver appear to be boogered.
    Not sure what's under the tape on the stock but its been there a very long time.
    The tube has gone missing too (inner magazine tube).
    Worth trying to restore or hang on the wall?

In my trading I also ended up with an Italian black powder 44 cal revolver that dates to 1974 (XXX date code) and an Iver Johnson 32 cal break top.

Attachments

• IMG_4612.JPG
      IMG_4612.JPG
      2 MB · Views: 13
    • IMG_4613.JPG
      IMG_4613.JPG
      1.8 MB · Views: 13
    • IMG_4614.JPG
      IMG_4614.JPG
      1.2 MB · Views: 11
    • IMG_4615.JPG
      IMG_4615.JPG
      631.8 KB · Views: 13
    Last edited:

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Thoroughly clean and inspect the bore. If the bore is pretty good, it would probably be worth fixing up as a fun vintage shooter. Along that line of thought, I would leave the tape alone, the stock is probably cracked. The inner magazine tube should be able to be found, bought, and installed without too much trouble. The takedown screw issue should be able to be fixed by a competent gunsmith.

If the bore isn't much better than a sewer pipe, I would either leave it as a wall hanger or sell it to someone to cannibalize for parts. Yes, the bore could be relined, but that gets relatively pricey. Not worthwhile considering the other things that need fixed and unless you have a sentimental attachment (which I'm sure you don't in this case).

blues bondsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2019
    Michigan City
    Wow ! there is a lot of youtube and online info on these.
    Looks like some reproduction parts, including the magazine tubes.
    Now to get that take down screw to grab hold a little better.

blues bondsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2019
    Michigan City
    Thoroughly clean and inspect the bore. If the bore is pretty good, it would probably be worth fixing up as a fun vintage shooter. Along that line of thought, I would leave the tape alone, the stock is probably cracked. The inner magazine tube should be able to be found, bought, and installed without too much trouble. The takedown screw issue should be able to be fixed by a competent gunsmith.

If the bore isn't much better than a sewer pipe, I would either leave it as a wall hanger or sell it to someone to cannibalize for parts. Yes, the bore could be relined, but that gets relatively pricey. Not worthwhile considering the other things that need fixed and unless you have a sentimental attachment (which I'm sure you don't in this case).
    Yes I was able to find an inner magazine tube for around 33-35 bucks on several sites.
    The action works perfectly.
    I'm worried that its the female threads on the receiver that may be slightly out of round as per the take down screw.
    There is a competent gunsmith nearby in LaPorte, its just a matter of catching him in his shop.
    As for the tape well... there looks to be three small screws running for to aft under the tape on both sides so.
    Its a bummer due to the very cool Winchester markings on the tang under that tape.

Top Bottom