• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    One of my goals is to get back to a simpler and sustainable life. I was thinking about power outages and alarm clocks. I stopped at Wal-Mart on the way home from work to buy a wind-up alarm clock to have for power outages. I would rather have one that doesn't rely on a finite battery supply. I was a little surprised to find that of the twenty alarm clocks on the shelf, all of them required either an outlet or a battery. I'm sure I could find one online and I will if I fail to locate one local. It's a sign of a disposable society. How many of us use a wind-up watch? I don't.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Menards sells them for $10. Sku# 3683085. You can NOT buy it from them on line. Check their website for their closest store and if it is currently in stock. They also sell solar powered clocks for about $25.

You could also go with one of those clocks that's powered by potatoes.....

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    It's not my alarm clock, but my main clock is a great Seth Thomas 8 day mantle clock. It keeps great time and is only at most off about a minute each week depending on the season. I suggest looking through the antique shops and finding a quality piece you really like.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I do have an old rail road pocket watch in case I need to know what time it is when all the world has gone down the toilet.

I don't wear any watch I have a cell phone. I did have a wind up alarm clock back in the day. I will admit that thing would wake up the dead.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    aside from my snarky reply, might look into amish areas. around here the amish are progressing into the 21st century but they still carry pocket watches and such. overall id keep an eye on estate and/or garage sales.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Why is it that people never bother to go to Amazon and type in what they're looking for? Amazon has butt loads of wind up clocks. Personally, I'll stick with my Sharp battery powered. It runs for well over a year on a single battery, power outage or not, and I keep spare batteries in the drawer. Batteries will keep for years. Forget to wind a clock and you're out of luck.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    Why is it that people never bother to go to Amazon and type in what they're looking for? Amazon has butt loads of wind up clocks. Personally, I'll stick with my Sharp battery powered. It runs for well over a year on a single battery, power outage or not, and I keep spare batteries in the drawer. Batteries will keep for years. Forget to wind a clock and you're out of luck.

It's a concept thing. Getting back to a simpler life and one not based upon electonics and disposability. As far as the spare batteries in the drawer, I understand the concept. In fact I have a case of AA and AAA batteries. The older I get, the less I like the modern age. In fact this laptop I am using right now is powered by a hand crank...not really. I have a smart phone only because the hospital has to get ahold of me at times and they pay my phone bill. I'm not willing to live in a cave and collect lint, but I would love to live in a log cabin and live closer to nature. I think most of us that go to this board could probably relate. As far as forgetting to wind the clock and being screwed, true: have you ever seen "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure"? Note to self: Remember to wind the clock

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    All I have are windup pocket watches. And I have the equipment and skills to do cleaning and minor repair. They will help our MGS members stay synchronized after the battery watches run out. On our headboard right now is a 30+ year old windup alarm clock, and several in storage in the basement. Now I need an anniversary clock. Only needs wound once a year. To set all the others when I forget to wind them...

LowerSW

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    Lower Southwest Indiana
    Living in the country where it's nice and quiet I was thinking the same thing about the simpler life. So one day i picked up a wind up clock at a garage sale (mainly to show the kids what clock were like) and I thought "simpler life, cool"
    I wound it up and put it next the the bed - two hours later I put it in the dresser drawer because I forgot how noise they make.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    If I were looking probably the first place I'd look is an antique mall. Probably going to be several examples that you can wind up and listen to before you buy. Mantle, cuckoo, and grandfather clocks probably scattered about and pocketwatches probably in cases somewhere.

If you want something inexpensive, do Amazon or eBay.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    I, too, have a Seth Thomas mantle clock. Wind it every Sunday and it does a great job. Also have a hanging 30 day wall clock (Goodwill $6.99) that has ran for the last 25 years without losing a minute. Really loud chimes on that one. Had to turn them off. Kept waking up the dead at the graveyard 8 miles away. :):

Of course, 3 older Westclox wind up pocket watches put back for the "just in case".

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It's not my alarm clock, but my main clock is a great Seth Thomas 8 day mantle clock. It keeps great time and is only at most off about a minute each week depending on the season. I suggest looking through the antique shops and finding a quality piece you really like.

Great suggestion. And while there, buy some cast iron cookware.

Top Bottom