Windham Weaponry MCS System - Is it legit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 62chevyimpala

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Im contemplating an AR chambered in 7.62x39 and ran across WW's website. It seems like, for a reasonable price, I can get one gun that can easily shoot both 5.56 and 7.62x39. Im super skeptical about the durability of all of the pieces involved.

Thoughts? Have you seen this before?

(You can see it here: https://www.windhamweaponry.com/)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I think I saw this at the NRA show when it was here in Indy. Looked interesting. They were selling SHTF kits too; a custom cut Pelican case with a lower and enough parts to make it run two different calibers of your choice. They may have also had bigger 3 and 4 caliber versions. I guess with only one lower receiver its goal was not to outfit the family, but to make sure you could fire anything you had on hand or were able to acquire.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    MGI

xW7646_SI_4344.jpg

Windham
    20_windham_calconv_04s.jpg

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I do like the barrel system and it would be neat to switch out for 9mm, .45 acp or .300 blackout. However, I am sick of companies making it harder to justify buying another gun.

62chevyimpala

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    I think I saw this at the NRA show when it was here in Indy. Looked interesting. They were selling SHTF kits too; a custom cut Pelican case with a lower and enough parts to make it run two different calibers of your choice. They may have also had bigger 3 and 4 caliber versions. I guess with only one lower receiver its goal was not to outfit the family, but to make sure you could fire anything you had on hand or were able to acquire.

That's incredibly appealing to me. The idea that I have the ability to shoot a variety of ammo depending on what's available. Care to take a guess on it's durability/dependability?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That's incredibly appealing to me. The idea that I have the ability to shoot a variety of ammo depending on what's available. Care to take a guess on it's durability/dependability?

Given the extra joints like the magwell to receiver, reliability is probably directly proportional to how you treat it. I could imagine it being fine, so long as you didnt try to take it to the big sandbox and use it like a hard core battle rifle, use it to club zombies, drive tent stakes, etc.

I'd happily take one and see what it took to break it/malfunction.

62chevyimpala

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Given the extra joints like the magwell to receiver, reliability is probably directly proportional to how you treat it. I could imagine it being fine, so long as you didnt try to take it to the big sandbox and use it like a hard core battle rifle, use it to club zombies, drive tent stakes, etc.

I'd happily take one and see what it took to break it/malfunction.

The good news? I have no plans on doing any of the activities described here. So I got that going for me, which is nice....

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

Well, it IS Windham Weaponry. They have a stellar reputation, albeit not a long history.
    They make fine firearms. I doubt one of their offerings would just fall apart on you.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Awesome! That's what I was looking for. Thanks! I just don't know much about them.

Rumor has it, they are the original Bushmaster. After Remington bought bushmaster, they just wanted the name. Windham Weaponry bought the old Bushmaster plant, tools, etc and is basically the same people? maybe? I don't know the specifics.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Rumor has it, they are the original Bushmaster. After Remington bought bushmaster, they just wanted the name. Windham Weaponry bought the old Bushmaster plant, tools, etc and is basically the same people? maybe? I don't know the specifics.

This is my understanding.
    They are the people who were Bushmaster, while Bushmaster still had a good name.
    I wouldn't buy a brand new Bushmaster, but I'd buy a Windham Weaponry rifle any day of the week.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2015
    Cincy

The same people that gave Bushmaster the name Shrubmaster.

Lil Bob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Crown Point, Indiian
    They are offering a couple of AR kits that the gun comes with all the pieces and parts for 4 calibers in one. I have a Windam CDI and it is a great rifle. I am going to take a hard look at their multiple caliber kits. I saw them listed on their website.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)

^^^This^^^ I've had a Windham AR for a while and it's a great rifle. Solid enough that I'm putting it in my son's hands to start competing in NRA High Power. He shot a 240 at his first Appleseed with a Ruger 10-22 so I'm thinking he can make good use of Windham's AR platform.

62chevyimpala

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    ^^^This^^^ I've had a Windham AR for a while and it's a great rifle. Solid enough that I'm putting it in my son's hands to start competing in NRA High Power. He shot a 240 at his first Appleseed with a Ruger 10-22 so I'm thinking he can make good use of Windham's AR platform.

This is great info! Im going to go Windham. Just have to figure out if I want to do the MCS or a straight AR chambered in 7.62x39.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    My neighbor stuck a V8 in his Pinto one time.
    It was a blast until the doors wouldn't open, then the hood jammed, the windshield cracked, suspension gave out, rear end blew.
    But it was a blast....:n00b:

Ya-
    I think I'll stick with my dedicated calibers.

Top Bottom