• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    Soooo....... I have never here pulled the trigger and bought an AR. Just don't want to pay the price for it. After all it wouldn't be a rifle I "need". So I am thinking if building an AR this winter to save cost and give me something to do during the sucky winter weather. I don't know where to start on purchase. I do know I want to start from scratch. Stripped lower and go from there just don't know what the difference in all kits would be. I will go with an aluminum lower not a polymer.

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    Budget!!!!! That's funny. Kinda why I'm building one. Seriously though I'm the kinda guy that cares little about brand and more about function. I'm good with a blemish part for example to save money. I can deal with a less than perfect finish to get a good deal. If the part functions right I don't care about brand. I pride on finding good deals without breaking bank. Just getting my feet wet in AR world.

I have have looked at palmettos website.

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    430 for the lower. Huh. Sounds like I would be buying brand name for that price. Like I said looking for good product doesn't have to be a name I purchase

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Define Build! To some that means buying a complete upper and a complete lower and two pins later you have a rifle. Others assemble the lower and buy a complete upper. Or do you have the tools and skill to start with a barrel and work your way from there ? A good yote gun can reach out there. Why not go with an 18" socom patern and build a SDM? Shop around. Spend money on a good barrel and a good trigger set. Most other parts won't be as critical. So long as they have a good reputation. You should be ok. JMHO

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    I do want to build the lower. Mainly cause I wanna know how it goes together and it's cheaper. I may just buy the upper

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think the very first decision is to come up with a budget and that itself will give more of an idea what you can get.

This. And don't plan on "saving" very much. :) I put together a budget build, and when I was done, looked around and found some (both new and in the classifieds) for about $100 more.

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    Maybe but still. Rather know how to break it down and rebuild. Also I don't have to build it quick. I can wait and find sales or parts used I can use

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I did my first build over the winter and into spring. Tons of sales during that period. Spent about 850 on parts but in reality it was over a grand. And if it was pre assembled it would if been a little more then that.

devious169

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Earth and you?
    Budget, what stinking budget! When creating a budget for your functional dream rifle ,don't forget to add 500.00. Assuming, you don't have all the tools,action blocks, vice ,etc... add another 200.00 and enjoy the ride my friend! Its addictive!

Top Bottom