• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    what are some good brands for winter attire? also what should i look for in these items? im gonna need some gloves, scarf, boots, floppy eared hat,and a winter coat for this winter.

all it has to do is be waterproof and keep me warm.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I just bought a softshell jacket from The North Face and I'm very impressed. At work I have to park about an eighth of a mile from the nearest door and the wind seems to always be blowing.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I have some Seirus stuff that I really like. The gloves are waterproof and very warm for as thin as they are. You can find them at Gander Mountain or Dick's. They are great for shooting because they are very thin, flexible, and have leather (pleather?) fingertips on them to help your grip.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Columbia. Any jacket with a removable insulated liner or insulated jacket so you can just wear the shell most of the time and add the liner for colder weather. You can wear the liner by itself as well

mattnik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    I've found some good luck at Army/Navy surplus stores. Name brands vary, but there are good quality items (in some cases) for reasonable prices. I had a camp coat that was very warm (it had a zip in liner) and large enough to fit me (I'm a big dude). Cost me $50.

Again, you really need to check the quality out before you buy, but if you shop around and pay attention, there's some good stuff to be had.

Jerry D Young

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Reno, NV
    Wintersilks boxer briefs
    Wintersilks v-neck tee
    Wintersilks sock liners
    REI merino wool liner socks
    Omni-wool washable merino smart socks
    Carhartt heavy weight wool boot sock
    Wintersilks V-neck insulated long john shirt
    Wintersilks insulated long john pants
    Eddie Bauer merino wool zip neck long john shirt
    Eddie Bauer merino wool long john bottom
    Cabela's Dry-Plus legacy wool pants (gray or loden)
    Cabela's legacy wool shirt (gray or loden)
    Bandanas
    tan money belt
    all leather suspenders
    Orvis Oiled tall leather shearling boots
    Cabela's Elk moccasins w/shearling lining
    Henschel Weekend Walker hat
    Hat Flap ear warmers for hats
    Wintersilks balaclava
    Justin Charles merino wool midweight balaclava
    fur hat world sheepskin/leather fur bomber hat
    Wintersilks scarf.
    wool neck scarf
    Quartermastershop #1603civilian great coat
    Wintersilks glove liners
    Wintersilks mitten liners
    Filson merino wool gloves
    Filson original wool lined goatskin gloves
    Filson pile lined leather mittens

Just what I'd want.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Stay away from cotton. Timberland boots, and all other leather boots can only be made to resist water, they themselves are not waterproof. If you want waterproof get a pair of oversized pull up rubber boots. No fun to hike in, but they are waterproof until you jab a hole in them. I use copious amounts of Sno-Seal on my leather boots in the winter. It's a bees wax coating that you rub into the boot, and then put the boot in the oven for a few minutes to bake the stuff in. It doesn't leak and is usually good for the whole winter/spring.

Atsko Sno-Seal is GREAT stuff

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Best winter attire:
    Anything I find a Goodwill or Salvation Army that has wool or down or Thinsulate and that fits me. Brand name is immaterial. The savings go toward more primers, powder, silver and Grabill canned meats.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    If you need winter attire, why not go for ECWCS? A level 3 fleece and a level 5 soft shell combined should keep you plenty warm. Or go straight for the level 7 parka.

Cheaper than The North Face

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    For me name brand is not as important. Don't get me wrong some of the name brands out there are well worth their higher price tags, but you can also find cheaper alternatives as well if you look around.
    The key for me in the cold weather is dressing in layers.

wrenchead88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    i personally love carhart and under armor, but however underarmor is pricey and i have found that redhead(sold by basspro shops) is a very acceptable alternate and i own a lot of their coldweather base layers for winter activities such as ice fishing and hunting and camping etc.,

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    are timberland boots good? are they waterproof?

Any boot with a GoreTex liner will be relatively waterproof, that is, they will wick moisture away from your feet (wool or synthetic socks help) and they will aid in drying the boots when they get wet. With the advent of breathable waterproof linings in boots, breathable synthetics, such as cordura are easier to maintain and just about as durable as leather. When you look for boots, you should probably try them on with ALL the layers you intend to wear; you don't want to constrict your feet in your boots. Of course, if you get your boots too loose, they'll cause blisters if you have to walk any distance.

Top Bottom