Winter Car Kit, for when you are stuck somewhere for a while.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    I would add a strobe light for the top of your vehicle. In case you are off the road a ways someone will see the strobe through the weather from the road and know someone is there. They can be had for cheap and plug into the acc plug. -Jason

I always carry a tow strap, jumper cables and a jump pack behind the seat of my truck. I have helped plenty of people out of ditches. I also put a rubbermaid container with my bibs, army jacket, winter boots with extra socks in the truck in the winter. It sits in the middle of the back seat with plenty of room for the kiddies to sit on each side. My travels don't take me to dark corners of countryside to often, so I don't pack stuff to stay with my truck. I will go for help if need be.

tc556guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I'd add more MREs; not like they'll go bad in the winter and you'll be stuck a while in a bad storm
    More chem lights
    I'd add more clothing like long underwear.
    Road flares.
    Kitty litter, pea gravel or some form of traction-adding material. I used to carry a bucket of ash from the local coal plant. Mixed with salt it worked great
    A headlamp with extra batteries to light up what you're working on while keeping hands free.
    Extra boots
    hand and feet warmers.
    Extra blankets...real blankets, not an emergency blanket
    Consider a sleeping bag.
    An empty gas can to go for fuel when you run your tank dry after running your car for heat.
    Hopefully you keep a full emergency med kit and car tool kit, to include emergency triangles...

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I think I have this one done. Thank you for the suggestions.
    I will post a picture when itis all assembled, I am sure you can't wait. :):

I think this one will be the best kit I have carried around with me for the winter yet.
    Let's all hope and pray none of us get stuck for any length of time but if it happens, be prepared. :ingo:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    People. Pack people. They can dig and push.

Where I live, if you get stuck, it could automatically mean an overnight stay if you get stuck at the wrong time. Local towing guys will plow their way to you if necessary but it helps that they know you. If you are out here and stuck first question is why? So don't go after dark where you don't know. Towing insurance I think is an extra dollar per month?

Good map so you can tell people where you are, assuming you have cell coverage.

Two tow straps are #1 on board. Most people don't have one. Here they do, but you may need two if you are stuck far enough off the road.

Healthy or not, you never get stuck when rested and have energy to burn. Light weight shovel that's not overly large, like a break down snow rescue shovel. Black Diamond Deploy is a good one. When its -35 out, shovels get heavy fast. Too big also equals too much snow per scoop at odd angles.

Skills and knowledge trump gear. Example, trim a cheap space blanket to fit Windows and tape up. Reflects heat back into vehicle, reduces heat loss through glass.

Proper clothing in a duffel. If you get out to dig, you will end up wet.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Other than Zoub, where the hell do you people live?:n00b:

I spent my whole life in da great white nort, primetime lake effect country, living on a road prone to epic snow drifts, and have yet to have a winter joy ride turn into a survival situation.

Boots, parka, bibs, and a shovel, is all I add in the winter months. The tow strap and jumper cables never leave.

tc556guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Upstate NY

I spent my whole life in da great white nort, primetime lake effect country, living on a road prone to epic snow drifts, and have yet to have a winter joy ride turn into a survival situation.

Boots, parka, bibs, and a shovel, is all I add in the winter months. The tow strap and jumper cables never leave.

Just because it's never happened doesn't mean that it can't happen to you

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Different people, different kits.

My wife has a "stay put, I'll come get you" kit.

Mine is more "Dang. I may be here for a while." coupled with a bunch of "Stay put, I'm on my way."

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

Never been stuck on a freeway for 9 hours because of a 50-car pileup two miles ahead of you? Lucky guy . . .

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Along with tea bags, I keep a jar of bullion cubes in my emergency stash. And for the guy upthread who asked: "emergency candles" come in all sizes but generally will burn for 12 hours or more. That's a bit longer than your average tea candle will burn.

Keep in mind that any battery-powered lights are less efficient and less long-lived in cold weather and plan accordingly.

Top Bottom