• HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Good tips!

View attachment 22981

I wish my employer were this thoughtful.

Winter Driving Tips from Corporate

1. Leave early enough to make sure you get to work on time.
    - Having to hurry to get to work on time when conditions are slippery can lead to accidents. Use caution and leave early. This is
    one sure way to keep yourself, and your employer, happy!

2. Fill up on the way home.
    - The last thing you want to have to do is stop for gas on the way to work, especially if it is snowing and blowing. Not only will
    you get cold, but it may make you late for work and you may not look “business professional” when you get here. Do yourself a favor and
    fill up on the way home...on your own time.

3. Bring your lunch to work, or just work through lunch.
    - One sure way to reduce the chances of having a winter weather accident is to reduce your time on the road. Don’t go out for
    lunch. Stay in the building. Better yet, just work through lunch and impress your employer! Because working through lunch is to your
    benefit, please clock out.

4. Don’t watch weather reports.
    - They will only depress you. You have to be at work all day and nothing the weatherman says is going to change that. Rather
    than getting all nervous and fretful about the weather, have a spirit of adventure!

5. Keep emergency food and water in your car.
    - If you get stranded and your car is stuck in a snow bank, it is important to have emergency rations. If the authorities do not find
    you until morning, you do not want to have to go home to eat after being rescued. You can eat your emergency rations and to get to
    work as soon as your car is pulled free.

6. Get some really good tires.
    - Face it, if you miss a day of work, you’ll just have more to get done the next day. Go out and buy some really nice all-weather
    or snow tires so you can get to work on time. There are tire retailers are within walking distance of the office. They open before 8am
    and close well after 5pm so you need not waste valuable work time on personal errands like getting tires.

7. Carry “Kitty Litter” in you car.
    - If you slide off the road on your way to work, that “Kitty Litter” can provide the traction you need to get out of the ditch.
    However, save it for the drive to work. You have to be at work at a specific time, but you can get home whenever you want. Wouldn’t
    you feel silly if you needed the “Kitty Litter” to get to work on time and you had just used it up to get home?

8. Never ask to go home early.
    - Blizzards can sense weakness and smell fear. Had you heeded the warning to not watching weather reports, you would have
    been happily getting work done until the appointed hour for you to go home. Having failed to follow that advice, do not compound the
    mistake by asking to go home early. This will only result in the snowstorm hitting sooner and harder. If anyone dies in this intensified
    snowstorm, you will have only yourself to blame.

9. Consider staying overnight.
    - If the weather appears to be getting too hazardous, sleep over! This is one sure way to be on time the next day. Our fully
    stocked vending machines have reasonably priced and tasty snacks. Our heating system seldom fails and the carpets are clean enough for
    sleeping. As if that were not enough, we charge a fraction of what a pricey hotel would for overnight accommodations, with rates as low
    as $27 a night. Please clock out by 5pm and do not clock in before 9am.

10. Have a positive attitude.
    - No one likes being around a “gloomy Gus” or a “Debbie downer” all day. Instead of complaining about the snow, learn to enjoy
    it and find the positives. After all, if you were an employer, who would you want around, a person who complains about everything, or a
    person who finds the good in everything? Think about it....your employer is.

Most importantly, remember to have fun! ...but clock out first

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    Sounds like what was really parrotted when I worked for Kroger. I only spent one night in the office during a snow storm, and decided that was the only time. Every other time, I made sure stuff was cool, left my number at the desk, and said "I'm out!"

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    When I worked at a TV station, the management would get all lathered up at the prospect of the ratings that come from snow and weather coverage. No matter what the predicted snow fall they would offer to put us up in a hotel near the studio so we could walk to work in a blizzard if needed.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    4x4s work pretty good.

My girlfriend at the time (now my wife) once said is this what 4x4 is like while heading out on a gravel rd that used to be logging rd up a hill in the about 6 inches of snow. Then the back wheels slipped and I put it in 4x4 and said no this is what it's like.

I like #7 the best btw

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    4x4s work pretty good.

Since I work from home, I already have plans to keep 3/4 of a tank in the Explorer all winter for my wife to take to work. She loves how it rides in the snow compared to her Focus, and well, the old folks need their nurses so she has to be there. And I can sit here at my desk, and look out at the piling snow and smile, knowing that all i have to do is shovel the drive and not go out in it.

Top Bottom