• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flhultra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    corydon area
    wish I had some heated gear, left here 2nd week of June 70 something deg. with jacket and chaps who new Yellowstone park was 27 deg. that week. I looked into gerbling it sounded like it was among the top brands.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    wish I had some heated gear, left here 2nd week of June 70 something deg. with jacket and chaps who new Yellowstone park was 27 deg. that week. I looked into gerbling it sounded like it was among the top brands.

Sounds like a good story there. Care to fill us in? I mean, what did you do?

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    All great advice.. I ride (dry roads.. no salt) to work about 10 miles and use my Fieldshear jacket and jeans- I ride a Vmax so no big fairings or panniers. I layer up without looking like Randy on Christmas story.. I have not tried any electric outwear.. let us know what you think.
    Cheap gloves to throw in the mix.. diving gloves/ice fishing gloves -neoprene . You can get long ones with long cuffs that have velcro... 10-20 $$ Warm and dry , you can even take your helmet off with them.. not very thick.
    I try to ride as much as I can in the winter.. last year no.. local guy on a XR600 rode almost everyday last year too.. nuts.. saw him often last year on the way to work. He gets my vote on can take the cold. Good luck. Merry Christmas. Tim

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just my textile riding jacket with the normal lid, gloves and boots, but I'll take a ride in January anytime I can get one.

20150117_163433_zpsklkoukez.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Be on the lookout for sand in the middle of the lanes.

Yes, there was sand on nearly every hill and curve. Not much knee dragging this time of year.

Gravel roads and driveways are muddy/mushy from freeze and thaw also.

It'd be great if they were off on the forecast for tomorrow also. I'd like to scout out some ice fishermen I seen in a few spots today.

Last edited:

Hawkwind2112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Evansville
    The number one thing that I recommend for cold weather cycling is a balaclava to keep the wind off of your neck area. It makes a huge difference in your overall warmth!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I got a chance to use the gear I purchased from another INGO member. It is a pretty large suit for my body, but it was a wonderful ride in 30 degree weather. Although it warmed up, the wind picked up and felt colder, so I turned up the heat and enjoyed the ride.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Meh. I stay my lard arse behind this laptop til it's at least 50 and sunny. I had suffered from frostbite in the military from being young and dumb so I avoid cold temps the best I can. I wear freaking heated mittens like the type for ice fishing. They use a battery that I switched out for recharge types. I also have Carhartts top and bottom. I wear a rebreather type mask as I have no turbinates in my nose anymore. These masks warm up your outside air using your face warmth before you inhale / exhale. I can't wear a proper helmet due to a broken cervical so I wear a bomber style coconut warmer that I bought in a mil-surp store. Works great til you hit higher speeds but I stay in town most days anyhoo.
    I have ridden in a couple iron-butt tours from Coronado to Kokomo and back on an AMF Lowrider so I know long miles + the first one was on a GPZ 750 turbo. Only had the crappy lock-on type cruise control back then. It sucked compared to all the creature comforts nowadays! I just have a '94 Shortster and a '97 Buell S3T so I am still Spartan on modern conveniences!!

Top Bottom