• justjoe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    gun counter at walmart
    fencing-pliers-640.jpg
    [/IMG]

tom beat me to it. cheaper and more options with fence pliers. a pair of these will last forever and are very versatile.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Wire cutters for SHTF

These look pretty nice. If you have ever had to cut through quality wire it can be difficult. These look a lot lighter than bolt cutters and easier to carry. Little expensive but may be worth it if they work.

http://http://www.botachtactical.com/kzcochliwicu.html

So you intend to use these break into other people's homes/property and steal their stuff?

Sounds like a good way to get shot.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    LOL, that was my first thought when I read the thread title!! :draw:

My take:

In a "get me home" situation or a bug out scenario, these can come in handy to allow for a short cut throuh a large fenced area. If time is of the essence (and it usually will be), it keeps you from having to go around or through an area of poor cover or toward danger.

In an E and A scenario, it can save your life if you can quicly gain access to a safer location.

YMMV

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'll stick with a Leatherman. May not be the best tool for the job, but at least I won't be loaded down with tools. I keep one of those fence pliers that tom1025 referenced in my vehicle. I think those are kind of like a redneck secret handshake. If you have them or know what they are, you might be a redneck.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    You might as well carry Multipurpose Fence Pliers.

Fence Pliers - HOOVER FENCE COMPANY

See link for description in case you don't know what they are. You can get higher end ones. Pliers, hammer, and wire cutters all in one.

I went with fence pliers as well. I put one in my GHB, they could also double as a weapon (not my first choice though.) They're fairly compact and lightweight, and a true muti-tool. A leatherman or the like, does not have the leverage to cut chainlink easily.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Small bolt cutters have a lot of uses beyond breaking and stealing.

Cutting median wire barriers to hang a U turn is one. Same same for barrier fences along roads and interstates. Gaining access to controlled areas, like a parking garage after hours-to get some sleep. Traversing a large area that is fenced off. Factory, rail yard, airport etc.

And yes, cutting locks, chains and fences to steal stuff, destroy equipment and kill people that need killing. If you think SHTF is gonna be how you planned it sitting at Bob Evans with your buds, think again. There may be some stealin and killin that needs done.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I'll stick with a Leatherman. May not be the best tool for the job, but at least I won't be loaded down with tools. I keep one of those fence pliers that tom1025 referenced in my vehicle. I think those are kind of like a redneck secret handshake. If you have them or know what they are, you might be a redneck.

Lol. I am Redneck by choice.

Top Bottom