• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Been there done that, way better than using the metal hoops, the problem is that they can wear out fairly
    fast if you're in a situation where you need to make a lot of cuts, and the harder the wood, the faster it
    wears out.

That's why I have three of them in my GHB, and also one of the combo packs that has the shovel, pick,
    hammer/axe and saw attachments.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've used wire saws, but didn't like the ones the military issued because they were pretty fragile. Don't know if they make them anymore, but I have a "chain saw" type emergency saw that I keep in my "no **** bare bones emergency bag." It's proven to be much more robust.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Over a minute and a half to cut two 1 and a half in branches while using plenty of energy.The idea is better than a just having a saw(the bow),the saw will still only last a few cuts though.

If you want a real tool get a good quality hatchet or axe.It will save energy and prove much more useful than any saw.The durability and usefulness of an axe or hatchet is worth the weight in any survival situation.

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    Over a minute and a half to cut two 1 and a half in branches while using plenty of energy.The idea is better than a just having a saw(the bow),the saw will still only last a few cuts though.

If you want a real tool get a good quality hatchet or axe.It will save energy and prove much more useful than any saw.The durability and usefulness of an axe or hatchet is worth the weight in any survival situation.

These were never designed to be a permanent solution, otherwise the wire would be thicker and carbide sharper. These are last ditch saws at best in the event you lose your pack or are down to very basic barebones.

Top Bottom