• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stevee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2013
    Avon
    Just got the speed upgraded by the cable company and they replaced the Netgear with a combination modem and router. I seems to be working great so far. They extended my time before they raise the price again, and lowered my monthly bill by a dollar and change. At five bucks a month I probably paid for the Netgear three or four times. I'm on my third dvr in four days which is how this all came about.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My one Cisco (Linksys) router covers my entire house. Probably going to add an extender soon because one computer, (my sons), doesn't have as strong a signal as it could.

DO NOT get a repeater. for every one you add they decrease throughput by 1/2. All the repeater does is repeat everything it hears, effectively halving the time slices available for your transmissions.

run a cable to the far end of the house (or closer to where you need signal) and hard wire a dedicated access point to extend your range (using a different channel). Doing that you wont affect your speed at all. Actually, I think I have some used 802.11G access points I could be persuaded to part with cheaply.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    DO NOT get a repeater. for every one you add they decrease throughput by 1/2. All the repeater does is repeat everything it hears, effectively halving the time slices available for your transmissions.

run a cable to the far end of the house (or closer to where you need signal) and hard wire a dedicated access point to extend your range (using a different channel). Doing that you wont affect your speed at all. Actually, I think I have some used 802.11G access points I could be persuaded to part with cheaply.
    Too late. I added a nice cheap extender and it solved his issues with connectivity and hasn't had an affect on the rest our speeds. Still getting UL/DL speeds as high as before.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    As was suggested earlier..DD-WRT might be able to bring your router back to life depending on what you mean by it being "dead".

While we're talking about routers and whatnot, check your coax splitters (if you have cable) to see if they're old 800 or 900 mhz. If so, go buy a newer one with higher bandwidth. For a few dollars you gain more bandwidth.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Had to replace mine a month ago and decided on a Cisco Linksys EA3500. It was very easy to set up and supports 3 laptops, 2 androids and 1 iPad. Not all at the same time. I seem to get lag if I'm on a laptop and OG is surfing INGO on her android.

I don't understand this. Shouldn't you be able to set this up to handle close to 255 unique devices? Doesn't it assign an new IP address when a device connects to it, from numbers 2 through 255? Or is it not truly a router, and more like a hot-spot of some type?

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    I don't understand this. Shouldn't you be able to set this up to handle close to 255 unique devices? Doesn't it assign an new IP address when a device connects to it, from numbers 2 through 255? Or is it not truly a router, and more like a hot-spot of some type?

I think what he means is that with all of them in use there's a lag.

This router will support well over 255 devices, actually 256^3 with the proper DHCP settings.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    Bought one of these on your suggestion. Up and running within a few minutes and works great.

Glad I could help.

These days this stuff is dirt cheap and quality is fine, as long as you don't go to a place like Best Buy or something.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    I concur with IndyBeerman on the NetGear wireless routers. I have the WRN3500 at home and at my son's dorm room at Purdue. They have been very reliable units.
    I use NetGear, I have a WNR3500 sitting on top of the desk on the west side of the house, and a WNR3100 sitting in the living room on the east side of the house.
    Too many walls and distance to cover with one. Both have functioned flawlessly and replaced an old Linksys wired router that went south 6 years ago.

Top Bottom