Wireless security camera system. Any good ones?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Would need to have 5-6 cameras, decent night vision.
    I believe in wired, but just checking to see if things have improved.
    Or in general does wireless still suck?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Would need to have 5-6 cameras, decent night vision.
    I believe in wired, but just checking to see if things have improved.
    Or in general does wireless still suck?

I'm in a similar situation. One thing to note about wireless... it still needs power. So either have a nearby outlet... or go wired and let the camera cable power it.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    Anyone know if the crooks can jam wireless cameras? A crook could build a 2.4GHz (or 900MHz or other such freq) transmitter to at least interfere, if not outright jam, a wireless camera. Use a scanner to detect any such emissions, then jam as necessary.

As such, I'd go with wired systems. More work on the front end, but less chance of interference and likely better picture quality.

Also, you can make your own IR "spotlights" using 1W IR LEDs. A string of these wouldn't look much different than someone who has left their Xmas lights up all year. These will augment the camera's own IR emitters, which tend to have a limited range. Wire them to a motion sensor to save power.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    An enterprising crook could jam them, but he'd have to be someone like me. I don't know if jammers are available, but I wouldn't be surprised. I can show you a receiver that can receive video from any channel that was available at the time. If you have indoor cameras, you'd just be helping the burglar.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've heard a lot of good (and equally a lot of bad) things about Foscam. Those are on sale for today's Woot deal

Foscam Pan/Tilt Wireless IP Camera - Electronics.Woot

Pan & Tilt cameras are pretty worthless for most homeowners.

You need to cover specific areas to watch your home, a P&T can only cover the area at which it is pointed and misses the areas where the camera is not pointed. Pan & Tilts are fun to use, but they typically end up pointed into one spot 23.75 hours per day, which means they miss the other areas 23.75 hours per day!

Most situations, both homeowner and commercial, are far better served by having 2 cameras instead of 1 Pan & Tilt camera.

Thom2011

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2015
    Westfield
    As a previous installer of such equipment for 17 years and now the manager of a distributor of same equipment. . .GO WIRED! Less problems, better quality and more camera options to choose from. Don't buy cheap and stay with the popular name brands. Most offer 3-5 year warranties. Most consumers these days want cheap and easy to protect their families and property. That makes no sense to me. (Sorry, a little professional venting. . .) No I won't sell to you unless you are a professional in the business!

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    An enterprising crook could jam them, but he'd have to be someone like me. I don't know if jammers are available, but I wouldn't be surprised. I can show you a receiver that can receive video from any channel that was available at the time. If you have indoor cameras, you'd just be helping the burglar.

Most meth head crooks just wear a mask, don't hear of many professional robberies

Top Bottom