• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    My favorite, and great job. The chessmatch aspect of it is captivating.
    I played my best defense ever in that match. These tables are so much faster and more responsive than what we normally play on, a small tap of the cue ball goes a long way.

Now for the start of round two.

More to come…

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I played my best defense ever in that match. These tables are so much faster and more responsive than what we normally play on, a small tap of the cue ball goes a long way.

Now for the start of round two.

More to come…
    7 foot Diamond boxes?

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Well, it’s over for us.
    They put me in the clutch position again.

I was outshooting my opponent, but I scratched on the eight on my first rack, and gave my opponent ball in hand on the second rack, putting him on the hill, which is all their team needed to win.

Technically, I lost no matches, but as soon as it’s mathematically impossible to win, that’s it.

Last edited:

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Well, it’s over for us.
    They put me in the clutch position again.

I was outshooting my opponent, but I scratched on the eight on my first rack, and gave my opponent ball in hand on the second rack, putting him on the hill, which is all their team needed to win.

Technically, I lost no matches, but as soon as it’s mathematically impossible to win, that’s it.
    Sorry to hear that. Now what, party in Vegas for the rest of the weekend?

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Sorry to hear that. Now what, party in Vegas for the rest of the weekend?
    Yep!

And play mini mania matches there are hundreds of them. Singles and eight ball or nine ball, scotch doubles, etc.

There are midnight madness tournaments as well.

Cindy gets here tomorrow and stays through Monday.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    At any rate, it’s been a fun experience and good practice in a high stakes/stress environment.

What was learned will be applied to our play in this years upcoming annual Indiana state invitational tourney at the end of November at the Marriott east.
    There you go. Make the best of the experience and have a good time. It's not a wasted trip as long as you gain something out of it.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    At any rate, it’s been a fun experience and good practice in a high stakes/stress environment.

What was learned will be applied to our play in this years upcoming annual Indiana state invitational tourney at the end of November at the Marriott east.
    That sucks, it's so easy to scratch on a 7-foot table. It feels like 70% of the table surface is a pocket and your cue ball always finds it.

At least it's not over yet, plenty of fun to be had I'm sure. Did you feel it was accurately handicapped? I have a buddy who's full on into team tournaments, and a lot of times when they come back from someplace big like Louisville, I often hear they feel they got fragged by people playing above their handicap level.

Have fun and good luck at Indy. I went as spectator support last year and am being urged to compete, but not sure I can tolerate a weekend of country-rap music playing in the exhibit hall :laugh:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I have a buddy who's full on into team tournaments, and a lot of times when they come back from someplace big like Louisville, I often hear they feel they got fragged by people playing above their handicap level.
    The two teams we played against matched up pretty well with their skill levels. However, in our regular local league there are a few obviously sandbagging teams. SL 4&5 shouldn’t routinely be able to run a table due to a single missed shot and get out of snooker situations easily.

I now request my captain put me up against higher skill levels to try and force me to play smarter and gain confidence. It will keep me from attaining MVP status but I’ve been mvp 4 times and I’m good with that.

There are many good accurate shooters but have no good grasp of strategy. Pool is about more than just making shots, it is also a game of chess. I will frequently take a tougher riskier shot to gain better shot position or guard a pocket for later and it’s paying off.

Also, I recently read the book “the inner game of tennis“ to try to straighten out my mental deficiencies regarding my confidence.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    The two teams we played against matched up pretty well with their skill levels. However, in our regular local league there are a few obviously sandbagging teams. SL 4&5 shouldn’t routinely be able to run a table due to a single missed shot and get out of snooker situations easily.

I now request my captain put me up against higher skill levels to try and force me to play smarter and gain confidence. It will keep me from attaining MVP status but I’ve been mvp 4 times and I’m good with that.

There are many good accurate shooters but have no good grasp of strategy. Pool is about more than just making shots, it is also a game of chess. I will frequently take a tougher riskier shot to gain better shot position or guard a pocket for later and it’s paying off.

Also, I recently read the book “the inner game of tennis“ to try to straighten out my mental deficiencies regarding my confidence.
    I am still at a level where strategy definitely matters. I miss occasionally, and need to be playing with people who do the same.

How does the league process & establishment of a handicap work? Also, any pics from Vegas? Would love to see what it looks like there.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    How does the league process & establishment of a handicap work?
    They have some mathematical formula, called “the equalizer“. Basically, if you win, your skill level goes up, and if you start losing you go down. Going up and down can be accelerated depending on the skill level, you win or lose to.

Everyone starts as a skill level three. women’s skill levels are a little more liberal.

eight ball skill levels range from 2 to 7, nine ball skill levels range from 1 to 9.

I float between skill levels four and five in both. I have good seasons where I go up to 5, and bad seasons, where I go back down to a 4.

Also, any pics from Vegas? Would love to see what it looks like there.
    71296271228__15737C0C-338C-422D-A629-B0C52169A085.jpeg

IMG_4522.jpeg

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I bet setting up & leveling all those takes forever!
    Over 400 tables there.

The state invitational held every year in the last week of November the APA brings 150 tables or so.

Always a good time, the pool playing community has a lot of fellow gun owners in it And the culture is very similar filled with America loving sportsmen.

Top Bottom