• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstrahl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Franklin
    I was wondering the same thing. I bought around 100 rounds before I opened it up and realized it wasn't brass cases. It was only $7 a box so if its not at least I'm not out much

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    "Safe," yes, but there are some manufacturers that expressly state doing so will void your warranty.

I personally find Wolf to be dirty and rather underpowered, but haven't had any function problems with either the polymer coated (black box) or Military Classic (camo box) varieties.

CapBuster49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    With some Freaks
    The steel stuff jams my AR when hot, and is impossible to get out.. It has some sort of chemical on it that causes the shell casing to weld itself to the barrel when hot. I heard you can soak them in a thinner than coat it with WD40 and it will be fine. Pay a few extra bucks and get brass, and you wont have to worry...

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Wolf steel is all I shoot in my transferable m16 and it is great stuff. I have some shot cases here that I show people that think Wolf steel is bad stuff. Then I ask them to show me where on the case the wear is coming from and they can not give me a decent answer.

Hell I reload tracers in the spent cases and shoot it one more time. Just check for damaged cases when reloading and go from there.

Chuck

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Another big +1 for Wolf, as long as its poly coated. I have never seen a problem. My friend had a brand new CMMG dedicated piston rifle that wouldn't cycle Lake City regularly. With Wolf there no problems. :twocents:

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I put over 500 rounds of Wolf through my last Del-Ton build. It worked just fine for me in the AR. The Military Classic load was too weak to function 100% in my AC556, though. The Black Box stuff seemed to be OK, though.

CVictor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Crown Point
    I was wondering the same thing. I bought around 100 rounds before I opened it up and realized it wasn't brass cases. It was only $7 a box so if its not at least I'm not out much
    You can get PMC bronze for $7/box + shipping. I've shot steel ammo through my 1911 but now I stick to the better stuff. Never used it on my AR.

palmetto state armory for .223, just ordered a bunch.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Bushmaster has a memo about approved ammo and Wolf is listed as tested OK.

Funny but my luck with Wolf has been the reverse of many people. I have never had problems with their lacquer coated ammo, but their poly coated .223 has stuck in the chamber of my Norinco 84S-1 which usually eats anything. After several rounds, we noticed that the ejected cases started to show a smearing of the polymer until one round finally glued itself into the chamber.

I personally don't like Wolf not only because it is very dirty, and not consistant in loading, but the way they treated their customers when the "ammo shortage" hit a few years ago. They guaranteed that there were "boat loads of ammo" (their words) arriving when in fact nothing showed up. Thanks but no thanks Wolf. Brown Bear or Silver Bear for me if I want cheap plinking stuff.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    I prefer brown bear to wolf, doesn't smell AS bad. But I don't believe I had any issues with the few rounds of wolf I've put through my AR

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    The steel stuff jams my AR when hot, and is impossible to get out.. It has some sort of chemical on it that causes the shell casing to weld itself to the barrel when hot. I heard you can soak them in a thinner than coat it with WD40 and it will be fine. Pay a few extra bucks and get brass, and you wont have to worry...

Never had a problem in my RRA. That said, I've "heard" that the poly coated stuff will act like you describe if you leave one in a hot chamber and allow it to cool.When I shoot, I'm either actively firing, or the weapon is clear, so I've never run into it... I don't think I would ever soak my ammo in anything, OR coat it with WD-40.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I like Wolf, but I distrust polymer-coated rounds inherently.

Apparently the lacquer used to coat steel-cased rounds to prevent oxidation can also melt from the case and fuse into the lattices of the chamber and barrel if it gets too hot. Kind of how iron is impregnated with carbon into its structure to give us steel, but on a much smaller scale. Regardless of its veracity, the mere notion of permanently fouling my Beloveds makes me cringe, so I'm not apt to purchase any poly-coated anytime soon. I'd rather pay the premium for non-coated than to risk something like that happening, no matter how unlikely or minimal its effect. I want as much accuracy as I can get from each and every piece... and with no disrespect to Wolf - I've heard nothing but great things and have had good experience with non-steel-cased - I'd rather not find out whether it's true.

Top Bottom