• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Have you guys been to the Wolf Park around Lafayette? How much is there to see? What activities do you recommend? How long should I plan a visit?

Has anyone interacted with the socialized wolves? I assume it's safe, but what is it like?

pitbull88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    West Lafayette, IN
    I've been there. They have a small gift shop. They have programs where they discuss the wolf's, play with the wolf's, sometimes feed the wolfs. It's very interesting, and you can walk around to see various displays. Everything is fenced off from the general public. I would say 2 hours at most, but go when they have a guide/expert sharing their knowledge of the animals. Prophetstown State Park is nearby and would be a great spot to camp, and you could visit the Tippecanoe Battle Site/cemetary.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Back in the days of film, I attended a few of their photo seminars. Great way to spend a day. ;)

Oh, do tell. What kind of stuff do they do in the seminar? Photography is a hobby of mine. I haven't had much experience with wild life, partly because the longest lens I've got is only 200mm.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    Have you guys been to the Wolf Park around Lafayette? How much is there to see? What activities do you recommend? How long should I plan a visit?

Has anyone interacted with the socialized wolves? I assume it's safe, but what is it like?

Have wondered the same thing....Been thinking about visiting after a Purdue game

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Oh, do tell. What kind of stuff do they do in the seminar? Photography is a hobby of mine. I haven't had much experience with wild life, partly because the longest lens I've got is only 200mm.

I used my 80-200 2.8. You are close enough to them most of the time that 200mm will be fine. Especially if you have a DX sensor. Sometimes you can be involved in some interaction;

grrrrr3.jpg

The guy behind me asked why I didn't stand up when that started. I told him that I wasn't the one that he was mad at. ;)

Heres the link to all the info; Photographers » Wolf Park

Heres a link to some of my shots; Wolves of Wolf Park - knippixels' Photos

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    odd thread today, we just got home from there! hadn't been in prolly 15-20 years, great time.

$8 per person get's you a guided tour that takes about an hour, you get to be close to the wolves but they're behind tall fences. they have fox's and coyotes too. we rode down from NWI and i think it was definitely worth it.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    If you're close and taking kids, go on a "howl night". It's great fun. They tell you about the wolves and you get to hear them howl. I'm in my 20's and even I think hearing a wolf howl is awesome. so you can imagine what a 10 year old would think.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    If you drive out N. 9th St. you can view the splendid Tippecanoe County Work Release facility, and if you're lucky, you will espy some of the denizens coming and going on their daily routines. Almost as fascinating as wolves.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    If you're close and taking kids, go on a "howl night". It's great fun. They tell you about the wolves and you get to hear them howl. I'm in my 20's and even I think hearing a wolf howl is awesome. so you can imagine what a 10 year old would think.

Howl night is the coolest! My grandkids loved it even though we went in the winter. We will go again.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I used my 80-200 2.8. You are close enough to them most of the time that 200mm will be fine. Especially if you have a DX sensor.

Thanks so much for the info and for the link. It looks expensive, but it may be worth it.

It looks like you got really close to the wolves. How well did the 80-200mm work? Did you wish you had a wide-angle or a normal lens? Just wondering what I should bring.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    It looks like you got really close to the wolves. How well did the 80-200mm work? Did you wish you had a wide-angle or a normal lens? Just wondering what I should bring.

The 80-200 is a good choice. I did 4 or 5 of those shoots, including one with 7 or 8 wolf pups, and I never felt the need for a wide angle lens. If you decide to do this, do it in either early spring or late fall. Their coats will be thicker. ;)

Top Bottom