• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I have been seeing Wolf ammo for decent prices in 9mm & 40. I was wondering who shoots this and is there any feeding probs with the laqured cases and is it dirty ammo?

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have only tried the poly coated in 9mm and .45 ACP. I was not aware of any laquored cases. It was a bit dirty, but I didn't feel it was any dirtier than my own reloads when I use Unique. I never had any feeding issues, but did feel it was loaded somewhat inconsistent from lot to lot.

Luckboxx74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    The Wally World in Fishers just started carrying TelAmmo. 9mm, .40, .223, x 39 and maybe even .45. the .223 was $5 a box. Havent shot any yet...

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    As everyone has said, Wolf (at least, their .45ACP) shoots dirtier than many other factory loads. But, if you have any thought that you might someday reload, why not buy similarly priced ammo in brass cases. :)

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Wolf has been the dirtiest round I have ever used. To be honest if it was the last ammo on earth I would still have trouble buying it.

Yoder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Owen County
    It is dirty, for sure. And smells funny.

Old Wolf production used a laqeur coating that would cause FTE's if left too long in a hit chamber. Anthing produced in the last 4 years or so would have a higher molecular weight polymer coating that isn't affected by hot chambers.

Redemption

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    It is reliable, all goes bang and is cheap. Nothing for want other than it is dirty....but so is Bullseye.:dunno:

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Though it wasn't my first choice of ammo, I bought a bulk of 500 for my M&P40c. Yes, it ran dirty but I clean my guns after each outing anyway so it was no big deal to me. I never had a single problem with the wolf, but I havn't ever had any ammo issues in my M&P no matter what I fed it. Shot moderatly accurate (I would guess I was the cause of the inaccuracies rather than the ammo though.

Beans&Bullets

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Terre Haute, IN
    I bought 3 boxes(50 Count) of the .40 S&W TulAmmo at Wally World for $12.97 a box plus taxes. Shot all 3 boxes and only had one FTE. Seems no more dirty than any other ammo I"ve shot.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Several people told me that the TulAmmo and Wolf are made by the same company. I don't know if that's true, but it's what they told me.

That would be TulAmmo and Tula cartridge. Wolf is a separate company that also packages under a different name that escapes me right now.

Yes it is dirty ammo. Probably as dirty as bullseye BUT it's a different kind of dirty. If you shoot like most people (100 rounds or so a session) you probably wouldn't be able to tell the type of sludge residue difference, it's hard to describe. I prefer cleaning bulleye out as to a similar amount of wolf or bear. Bullseye comes cleaner easier. Don't ask me why.

Wolf ammo isn't exactly spec. So for guns that are known for reliability and feedin anything (just sticking to pistols here: XD's, quality 1911's, gLocks) it's not going to be an issue but, for example, a HK USP 45 is going to have a hard time functioning with it. Both of my USP 45's and a friend USP 45 wouldn't chamber most rounds.

Back when wolf was half the price of brass cased it was worth dealing with the issues. Now that it's only a buck or two less a box, I don't screw with it.

Last edited:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Prometheus is right (If you shoot like most people ,100 rounds or so a session you probably wouldn't be able to tell). I use it in my handguns at outdoor ranges, and save that buck or two, The Indykid is right also..........but I go to the outdoor ranges with him, and after he gets done obliterating his targets with a thousand rounds a session, all his weapons are dirty!!!

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    I reload my own but had a guy leave me some, it seems good to go to me with no problems. Pretty quiet through the silencer so I like them for that reason too.

Top Bottom