• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Back when it was really difficult to get primers I bought some Wolf primers. Now have a Dillon 650. Is anyone else having trouble with them getting stuck in the primer magazine or filler tubes?

Added note: I'm a noob with the 650.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Looks like one or two primers gets stuck and holds up the rest. That in turn keeps the primer alarm from doing its job.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I would empty your loading tubes and disassemble the primer tube on the press and look inside of them and make sure there's nothing that will interfear with the feeding.. Also take a good close look at the primers that are causing the problem.. It should be pretty easy to spot what's hanging up and causing problems.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I would empty your loading tubes and disassemble the primer tube on the press and look inside of them and make sure there's nothing that will interfear with the feeding.. Also take a good close look at the primers that are causing the problem.. It should be pretty easy to spot what's hanging up and causing problems.

Sunday project.

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    Back when it was really difficult to get primers I bought some Wolf primers. Now have a Dillon 650. Is anyone else having trouble with them getting stuck in the primer magazine or filler tubes?

Added note: I'm a noob with the 650.

Yes, I am having problems too. Running cci small and switching over to wolf srp I have immediate problems on every other 100 pack. I had to buy two new primer tubes after they became completely lodged in place.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Yes, I am having problems too. Running cci small and switching over to wolf srp I have immediate problems on every other 100 pack. I had to buy two new primer tubes after they became completely lodged in place.

Wow completely stuck? Did you happen to ask Dillon if they've had this problem before?
    Did you also have any trouble with the feeder tubes? That's where I first noticed it.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I bought Wolf primers a few years ago, had nothing but trouble with them as in dead primers. Nice fireing pin marks but no bang.
    That was before I had the Dillon, so no help on the primer tube. I would like an AAR once you figure out the primeing issue though, if you get a bunch of non-fireing primers.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Not had failure to fire to date with the wolf primers so far. First time loading on Dillon and some got stuck.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Measured the primer magazine tube inside diameter with a. 215 gage pin passing through completely. Then with mic checked a couple problem Wolf primers. They measured .2116 and .2114 with few tenths out of round. When the Wolf primers would drop down the tube sounded like they were dropping very slow or got stuck. So after throwing out 10 out of 100 primers switched to Winchester primers they dropped down though there so fast and felt much easier to prime the cases. They measured .2104 and were very even in measurement.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I've run 8,000 Wolf small and large pistol primers with no trouble. Definitely no out of the question that you got a out of spec batch though. No duds at the firing line either.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Just a bad batch??

Wolf .223 small rifle primers are my 'go to' primers when it comes to 55gr. FMJ AR rounds...Have been for years. Over time, I have probably loaded 15-20K of them.

I do not load .223 rounds on my RL550, but sometimes I do use my Dillon primer tube instead of the RCBS tube on my RCBS bench primer tool. I have not had the problems that you have had. As others have noted, sometimes a Wolf primer is a little harder to seat than others, but my RCBS bench primer does the job.

If I were to guess??, I would say that you may have just gotten a bad batch/lot.

My advice is worth what you paid for it..HA HA...Bill.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    If I were to guess??, I would say that you may have just gotten a bad batch/lot.

My advice is worth what you paid for it..HA HA...Bill.

You maybe right.

Bought them primers right after The presidents monumental gun scare after Sandy Hook and was Wolf selling for 30.00 to 35.00 per 1000 at gun shows but bought a couple boxes for 25.00. If anything I'll use the ol RCBS hand primer. Its just as quick as fighting the mag tubes and taking a chance at tamping them out and setting it off.

Top Bottom