Wolves in Indiana, Marion county Indianapolis?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I believe the title of this thread says "WOLVES".

You know. I just did a double take and yes it says wolves. But I believe the op means coyotes. I live in the area and we get the coyotes going all the time with electronic calls. Not to mention the livestock that has been killed in the area. My bad. Your rep is on the way.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    I live in downtown beautiful Wanamaker. On my way to and from Acton on Sunday, I saw two coyotes and one was very good size. One was about 50-75 and the other was much larger. I just need to carry my AR with me on Sundays when I go to eat in Acton. I saw one coyote at the cemetary in Wanamaker. It was just walking across to the woods.

dawg1981

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Southport IN
    I live in Southport near Stop 11 and Sherman.
    We have seen Coyotes in the field behind us
    for years usually in the winter. Most the time
    it is in the evening when they are looking for food.

Well of course I was out of town last week and
    my wife called me to tell me that the neighbors
    beagle was on our back deck with 2 coyotes
    cornering him there! My son went to get his
    bow to shoot at least one of them but by the
    time he opened the back door they ran off.

I saw the coyote yesterday in the middle of the day
    in the field behind our house and then again last night.

I will shoot them if they come into the yard again!

Coydog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Fort Greenwood
    My wife saw our coyotes today after we had given up on them. Our dog has been trying to tell us they are back but we couldn't see them. Today while on their walk the dog pointed them out crossing the field where she had her skirmish. There were three of them. One crossed first then the other two. They passed a small gray animal that my wife thinks was a cat without paying attention to it.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    A 50 to 70 pound Coyote is a very large one. Some look ratty, others look magnificent. One with a good coat can look much heavier than they really are.

Many Coyotes have a black line down the front leg, but not all. Coyotes run with the tail down, dogs usually run with their tails up. Trackwise, the outer 2 toes of a Coyote are larger than the inner 2.

The only wolves I've seen in In were here. Went there once, a nice park to visit.

Last edited:

Coydog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Fort Greenwood
    We have been to Wolf Park a couple of times. It is a fun place to visit. Once it was closed but we still got to look around. The other time there was a demonstration where they turned the wolves loose on their small herd of bison.

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    Trevlan,

One thing I forgot to mention (just slipped my mind) about the way coyotes hunt. They will switch areas they hunt on a cycled basis. One cycle they will hunt north, then next south or some other direction. I believe this to be for " game conservation"
    where one area is not completely wiped out. They do this around my area about every two weeks. That is why you haven't heard them. They've gone another direction to another area. This can be as far as 5 miles away from their denning sites. These hunting sites kind of branch out like the spokes of a wagon wheel.

I was just about to mention that I haven't seen them in a few weeks. That explains why. I don't believe they are denning in the wooded area of my back yard. I believe they were just here for the hunt. I've seen a litter of stray cats wandering through my yard. I also confirmed that the smaller tracks and round fecal matter was from rabbits. I saw one a night or two ago when I was taking Sammy out for her walk. Damn those things are FAST!

I have seen deer tracks, but have yet to see my first deer. I'm sure a group of Coyote/Coydogs can make light work of a deer.

Last edited:

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    A 50 to 70 pound Coyote is a very large one. Some look ratty, others look magnificent. One with a good coat can look much heavier than they really are.

Many Coyotes have a black line down the front leg, but not all. Coyotes run with the tail down, dogs usually run with their tails up. Trackwise, the outer 2 toes of a Coyote are larger that the inner 2.

The only wolves I've seen in In were here. Went there once, a nice park to visit.

Man, Wolves are gorgeous animals. I guess that's why I love the Siberian Husky so much. Wish I could have one, but they grow incredibly large.

I'm not the best judge of size and weight, it's the first time I've had a dog. But from what I've seen on National Geographic, Coyotes look raggedy and week, and those guys weighed about 30 pounds. I swear, to me, the animal looked like it could easily weigh 100 pounds. Sammy is 4 months old now, and I'm sure she's over 20 pounds already. (Just picked her up, she's more than 20 pounds. Close to 25)

It could have been the lack of light, but I know a magnificent creature when I see one. If this was just a regular Coyote, it was in the 99th percentile.

I tested out a photographic scheme last night. I set my SB to 105mm zoom, on the flash, and prefocused my hyperfocal distance to infinity from about 30 feet and on, and I can comfortably take a sharp photograph in the dark. The only question I have is, what reaction will the Coyote have when a blast of light comes out in his/her direction? Will he retreat, or attack. I have my side arm with me at night, but I'm trying to get a photograph for you guys for the next time I'm in their hunt cycle.

Also, what do deer eat? I'm going to bait the deer that traverses my yard and see if I can get a good photo of her.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Put corn out for the deer, or sunflower seeds if you have them on hand. The coyote will literally disappear when he sees the flash (unless he is rabid, and then they are totally unpredictable).

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    Put corn out for the deer, or sunflower seeds if you have them on hand. The coyote will literally disappear when he sees the flash (unless he is rabid, and then they are totally unpredictable).
    I have sunflower seeds, but the salted kind, Go david's! Will they eat that. And the corn I have on hand is the sweet corn in a can. Maybe that'll work.

time to set snares around your property line

What are snares?

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Sweet corn from a can will work. Snares are wire loops (nooses) placed in a fence line. The coyote gets his head (or paw) caught in the wire loop, and the more he struggles, the tighter the loop becomes. He eventually chokes himself to death, or chews his leg off. Snares are non-discriminatoy - my neighbor has lost a couple of his dogs in his OWN snares, and he has TWO cats named"tripod" who have each lost a leg in his snares.

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    Sweet corn from a can will work. Snares are wire loops (nooses) placed in a fence line. The coyote gets his head (or paw) caught in the wire loop, and the more he struggles, the tighter the loop becomes. He eventually chokes himself to death, or chews his leg off. Snares are non-discriminatoy - my neighbor has lost a couple of his dogs in his OWN snares, and he has TWO cats named"tripod" who have each lost a leg in his snares.

A snare wouldn't be a good idea. I let Sammy loose and she will easily find herself in it. I'll try the sweet corn as deer bait. I'll get a good picture soon enough!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Hollow log
    We have them here, south of LaPorte- they are definitely over 30 lbs, and appear to be WELL fed. They are about the size of a pincher, but with long bushy tales, and tall triangular ears.

While solitary most of the time, they DO pack up when they need help with something big.

Sometimes It sounds like a pack of hyenas, with all of them yipping and cackling.

Carpenter

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Clinton, In
    Ran in to a pack of wild dogs here in w/central years ago, dropped the chow-mix, the rest fled, never mushroom hunt without pistol. Yes, he was being aggresive

Top Bottom