Woman beaten on her way to work.... Nobody helps her.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Last night in the Fort the son of a nurse who works with my wife attended a party on the northeast side of town. Someone at the party got rowdy. Do not know any details beyond that. The son intervened to calm down/restrain the rowdy. The son is now in the hospital ICU with a broken nose, smashed cheek bones, concussion and brain bleed. He is listed as "critical but stable." He was pistol whipped. This afternoon he was sufficiently conscious to complete a police report. He is 19 years of age. He was unarmed. If you do not know what you are doing, best stay out of it and call for the LEOs.

From the account given it sounds like the guy just walked up, smacked the girl and took off. One, or at most, two blows. Not sure there was time for anyone to intervene in that scenario. Of course, aid should be offered immediately to the injured. It would also be good if someone followed/pursued the attacker. It might have helped the second victom avoid that attack.

Last edited:

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    There are those in this life who are SHEEP...they go through life in denial and always assume that nothing will happen to them...

Then there are the COYOTES and the WOLVES...they run in packs terrorizing the timid sheep.

Finally there are the SHEEPDOGS of this world ....they will intervene for every sheep who is stalked or attacked by the cowardly coyotes and wolves. SHEEPDOGS, while go through training for their job as a SHEEPDOG, they are born with the inherent courage and fortitude in their DNA which makes them what they were born to be...A SHEEPDOG

Armed or not, if any person watched the encounter and didn't intervene then they will never be sheepdogs and will always be sheep...sheepdogs never doubt or question their ability nor their job ....they are first and foremost a SHEEPDOG

Deep down in your true heart, where all your secrets are buried and no one has access to, are you a sheep or a true SHEEPDOG?

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    If someone is beating on another person who cannot defend him/herself, or is beaten to the point where that person is unable to fend off the blows of the attacker, I believe that their life is in imminent danger.

I will use all force necessary to stop the attack.
    IC 35-41-3-2, Sec. 2(c)

BaseDeltaZero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    South Bend
    I would like to believe that I would have stepped in and done something. I can't stand the way that most of society just looks the other way and says "not my problem." I have stood up for my rights and others rights with my children present to do the right thing and set a good example.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    When my wife and I saw this on the news tonight I looked her dead in the eye and said see, if she had a gun maybe she had a chance, mind you she is against me getting a pistol or carrying it as she sees no need. Funny, she works at a pharmacy, when another one was robbed the other day (in greencastle, not much crime like that here) she didn't seem to mind me saying to bad somebody didnt have a piece to protect people. If it was my wife I would want them to!

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Last night in the Fort the son of a nurse who works with my wife attended a party on the northeast side of town. Someone at the party got rowdy. Do not know any details beyond that. The son intervened to calm down/restrain the rowdy. The son is now in the hospital ICU with a broken nose, smashed cheek bones, concussion and brain bleed. He is listed as "critical but stable." He was pistol whipped. This afternoon he was sufficiently conscious to complete a police report. He is 19 years of age. He was unarmed. If you do not know what you are doing, best stay out of it and call for the LEOs.

From the account given it sounds like the guy just walked up, smacked the girl and took off. One, or at most, two blows. Not sure there was time for anyone to intervene in that scenario. Of course, aid should be offered immediately to the injured. It would also be good if someone followed/pursued the attacker. It might have helped the second victom avoid that attack.

From my understanding of what our less than reliable news said, he broke her nose and fractured her eye socket, beat her friend up pretty good to, and punched a LEO in the face, he had to get 8 stitches from the punch to the grill!

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    There would be a lot less crime if they could, I've always said if thy could shoot people who ran they would all stop trying to run from the police!

Shelly1582

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm not surprised at all. It seems like people just try not to look in situations like this. I still remember when I was about 7 months pregnant, nearly 10 years ago, I was at a local pool/ gaming hall in Tennessee with a friend of mine. A group of about 5 Hispanic males decided I should be friendly with them. They started getting into my space saying things I didn't understand while I was trying to get back into my friends car. They were pulling on the door I was trying to shut while another one was yanking on other door handles. Others were in front of and behind the car. I was panicking and trying to slam the door on his hand. My friend was heading back out and saw what was happening so started screaming at them. There were adult men walking toward the go cart area the whole time this was happening. She finally set off the car alarm and I was able to get that door shut. I never went back there and I learned that just because a place is crowded doesn't mean you aren't pretty much on your own. Back then, at 20 years old and living around Nashville, I had no idea that regular citizens were allowed to carry guns. I am now way more aware of my surroundings and do my best to avoid situations where I don't have a solid exit plan.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'm just as pissed at the bystanders as I am the bum. Seriously? You're just going to stand there and let it happen?!

I would have given that bum a good beating and held him down until the police got there. After that I'd be yelling at any able bodied bystanders who did nothing but gawk. WTF people?

And yet, that's the response of a quarter to a half of INGO.

In my almost 3 years on INGO, I've learned a few things.

1. I carry a firearm at all times for the defense of myself and others.

2. The use of my firearm is dependent on the totality of factors that are unique to the given situation, and I therefore cannot say definitively whether or not I would use it in any given situation.

3. The legal ramifications of using your firearm are severe. Be a good witness and call 9-1-1.

4. Consenting adults should be left alone even when you don't know it's consensual. What they do IN public doesn't mean they're INVOLVING the public.

In short, most of INGO only carries for himself, and the MYOB factor precludes him from putting his sorry ass on the line legally just in case he might get it wrong trying to do the right thing.

I'm never leaving my house again. Aside from pissing off 75% of INGO with whatever response I would give if I actually observed a crime, I can't count on (m)any of them to lend a helping hand if someone happens to get the upper hand on me.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My guess is this scum was simply looking for a way into the warmth of a jail cell for a couple of years. When the low lifes get tired of begging, stealing and selling drugs, they commit a crime big enough to get them 3 meals, a warm bed and health care. They want out someday, so they don't do a crime so large as to get them locked up for life.

My guess is that is what this POS was doing. Take a bus down to the city county building and then start beating innocent women until someone comes to get him. Hitting the cop was just to be sure he was held.

This is what a comfy jail life buys the taxpayers.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

2. The use of my firearm is dependent on the totality of factors that are unique to the given situation, and I therefore cannot say definitively whether or not I would use it in any given situation.

3. The legal ramifications of using your firearm are severe. Be a good witness and call 9-1-1.

4. Consenting adults should be left alone even when you don't know it's consensual. What they do IN public doesn't mean they're INVOLVING the public.

In short, most of INGO only carries for himself, and the MYOB factor precludes him from putting his sorry ass on the line legally just in case he might get it wrong trying to do the right thing.

I'm never leaving my house again. Aside from pissing off 75% of INGO with whatever response I would give if I actually observed a crime, I can't count on (m)any of them to lend a helping hand if someone happens to get the upper hand on me.

Some are raised one way, some another. Lawyers have everyone scared.
    Besides, everyone knows what they would LIKE to do.
    Only some know what they WILL do.

Studies of WWII combat shown that not all members of a rifle squad would fire. Now they train, train, train... to increase firepower by having more riflemen actually fire.

Some ordinary people can turn out to be heroes.
    But then later be scared about something else.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Molon Labe is often posted here. It is easy to post. It looks good and often brings new rep. But one does not know what one will do until tested.

The incident in the original post seems to be a situation where there was no opportunity for anyone to intervene. From what I can ascertain in the account, the BG just walked up, delivered the blow and took off. It was not a case of the BG delivering a serious, extended beat-down giving time for anyone to intervene. So, berating the by-standers is inappropriate in this case—assuming that is the scenario. If there was an extended assault with no one intervening, then a rebuke would be appropriate. If there, I would have called 911 and tried to assist the woman while awaiting medical care. I would not have pursued the BG.

In the incident Shelly1582 presents above, there is clear opportunity for Good Guys to intervene. The two incidents present very different situations. In this instance, by-standers have both opportunity and duty to, 1) Call the cops, and 2) Intervene in a way that will defuse the situation and allow the woman to escape.

I do not know what I would have done in the second situation. I hope that I would intervene by asking the guys what was going on. Getting them distracted may be enough to allow the girls to close the door and escape. Then I have to deal with a group of rowdies. First option, offer to by the next round (learned that from one of Massad F. Ayoob's books). Second option, walk away. Third option, walk faster. Last option, open the ball when it becomes clear a beat-down is coming. I am too slow to run, and unwilling to take a whopping. But again, I do not know what I would do. I have never been in the military or in dangerous situations as an adult. I am not about to boast that I would play hero when I have never been tested.

Beyond that, it is my job to defend my own self and my family. I can depend on no one else. If someone does stand tall and help, thanks. But if they do not, I have no one to blame but my own foolish self for my poor situational awareness. It is not your job to save my bacon. Of course, if you do I will gladly share it with you. ;)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

:+1:

Domestic disturbances can be very touchy. I tried to be the hero once in one of these situations and it turned out bad, but could have been a lot worse. (see my post #1)

Are you prepared when that woman you're so valiantly defending attacks you?

Every situation like this is unique and everyone reacts differently - and differently from how they think they'd react. Remember, mob mentality is a very powerful force and one must recognize it to not be sucked in.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Some are raised one way, some another. Lawyers have everyone scared.
    Besides, everyone knows what they would LIKE to do.
    Only some know what they WILL do.

Studies of WWII combat shown that not all members of a rifle squad would fire. Now they train, train, train... to increase firepower by having more riflemen actually fire.

Some ordinary people can turn out to be heroes.
    But then later be scared about something else.

:+1:

Domestic disturbances can be very touchy. I tried to be the hero once in one of these situations and it turned out bad, but could have been a lot worse. (see my post #1)

Are you prepared when that woman you're so valiantly defending attacks you?

Every situation like this is unique and everyone reacts differently - and differently from how they think they'd react. Remember, mob mentality is a very powerful force and one must recognize it to not be sucked in.

Perhaps I should have been more specific: the evolution of acceptable responses has progressed from 1/2 to 3 and now, much to my chagrin, to 4.

INGO is becoming the apathetic public. The preservation of self supersedes all else, even to the point of letting the innocent be harmed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In my time working in and around the downtown area I have intervened so many times when one of these off the wall alley dwellers are bothering folks and it is most often woman they bother. They are not frightened of the females so they ask for money etc. and when they are refused they get pushy. Never failed to intervene and never will. Most times they see a male getting aggressive and they will fad away. If they do not, well, you fill in the rest for me.
    As to being scared of going hands on with a homeless guy, what if that were your wife, girlfriend or daughter. It was someones significant other or relative. To just stand and watch puts me in mind of those who did the same on those airplanes and paid the ultimate price for it.

Top Bottom