• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The FAA considers these aircraft, it is a federal violation to shoot at one. Just FYI...as cathartic as it may be to do so.

I have not researched what the rule is on using a really powerful laser to blind one...I might need to do that.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Drones are just going to get smaller, fly longer and have better cameras. You won't be able to throw rocks, blind them with lasers or shoot them down. Pretty soon they will just land in a tree and not make a sound while they video record not using up their flight battery.

Your .gov is already watching you from orbit. I dare you to shoot that one down.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    As the owner of a camera equipped, rather expensive drone I think the operator should be charged with voyeurism. People have a reasonable expectation of privacy in the airspace immediately surrounding their homes. It appears that house backs up against not much and the homeowners could do things like change clothes in an upstairs bedroom without worrying about someone seeing them. Using a drone to get around that should be prosecuted in my opinion.

I have had to confront the Father of a drone operator who was hovering over my toddler aged grandchildren inside my privacy fence. I can see that on many situations it would not be easy to find where the drone was from. In Lafayette a man was arrested and convicted of putting a camera in a womans washroom. Drone operators should expect the same thing.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Your .gov is already watching you from orbit. I dare you to shoot that one down.

I've often said that the problem is not the UAV, the problem is the sensor pod and a willingness to misuse the data. A pred flying over is no different than a Sherriff's helicopter with a sensor pod. Now, everybody wants one and the willingness of some to invade the privacy of others will need to be addressed at some point; right now the bureaucracies are studiously ignoring it because a: people think it's cool, wouldn't want to be seen as a luddite, and b: there are major bucks being made.

Google is watching you a lot more than the .gov; most of those assets are focused outside the country.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Drones are just going to get smaller, fly longer and have better cameras. You won't be able to throw rocks, blind them with lasers or shoot them down. Pretty soon they will just land in a tree and not make a sound while they video record not using up their flight battery.

If the drone lands in my tree, it is mine! I doubt that "the government" has decided to dedicate any of it's satellite resources to watch me and mine unless they want to snooze...zzzzzzzzzzzz!

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    I regularly fly a drone and am working on my UAV pilots license with the FAA...

Several thoughts:

1. I have introduced myself (and my drone) to all the neighbors to help avoid any issues. I regularly take off from my back yard and make an effort to get the drone above 150' very quickly and not lurk around any of their houses near ground level. Once they realize how little you can see from 150', they don't worry much about it. A little common-sense and respect for privacy goes a long way.

2. The FAA is in charge of the national airspace. There is also a reasonable expectation of privacy on the part of individuals. Herein lies the conflict. Drones are mostly required to stay under 400' and within line of sight by FAA recommendation to avoid collision with helicopters and other air traffic. Nobody has really defined how high a persons property rights go, so someone will likely be the test case before we get an official answer (municipalities are putting it anywhere between 80-500 feet). If it is greater than 400', then there is no airspace for drone flight. While that may please some, it leaves hobby fliers and professional aerial photographers no airspace.

3. The video the OP posted would be cause for concern (if it wasn't staged). It is obviously less than 100' from the house, shooting video of the house, apparently without permission. I would be concerned as a property owner if I were in her situation and would take steps to follow the drone back to it's operator then notify law enforcement. Most consumer drones only fly for 30 mins max before they have to land.

4. Shooting a firearm at a 45 degree angle into the air (at a drone) in a likely residential neighborhood is a recipe for disaster.

Going to guess it will have to be addressed officially at some point. If by the government, it will be at the expense of everyone's freedoms. A little self-policing and calling out the idiots that will ruin it for everyone will go a long way...

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Avoid the problems associated with trying to shoot one down. Just unleash your pet tigers. Everyone's got some, right?

[video=youtube;_We-ZE0iuC8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_We-ZE0iuC8[/video]

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Where I live, I could shoot a drone down safely, no problem. Where the OP video was shot and the guy in Kentucky was? Not so much. He got lucky.

...and that interview is what we call a "confession" in the biz.

I'm not a huge fan of starting WWIII with neighbors as a first resort, so I', probably not going to go all "Dorie Miller" right out of the gate.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I regularly fly a drone and am working on my UAV pilots license with the FAA...

Several thoughts:

1. I have introduced myself (and my drone) to all the neighbors to help avoid any issues. I regularly take off from my back yard and make an effort to get the drone above 150' very quickly and not lurk around any of their houses near ground level. Once they realize how little you can see from 150', they don't worry much about it. A little common-sense and respect for privacy goes a long way.

2. The FAA is in charge of the national airspace. There is also a reasonable expectation of privacy on the part of individuals. Herein lies the conflict. Drones are mostly required to stay under 400' and within line of sight by FAA recommendation to avoid collision with helicopters and other air traffic. Nobody has really defined how high a persons property rights go, so someone will likely be the test case before we get an official answer (municipalities are putting it anywhere between 80-500 feet). If it is greater than 400', then there is no airspace for drone flight. While that may please some, it leaves hobby fliers and professional aerial photographers no airspace.

3. The video the OP posted would be cause for concern (if it wasn't staged). It is obviously less than 100' from the house, shooting video of the house, apparently without permission. I would be concerned as a property owner if I were in her situation and would take steps to follow the drone back to it's operator then notify law enforcement. Most consumer drones only fly for 30 mins max before they have to land.

4. Shooting a firearm at a 45 degree angle into the air (at a drone) in a likely residential neighborhood is a recipe for disaster.

Going to guess it will have to be addressed officially at some point. If by the government, it will be at the expense of everyone's freedoms. A little self-policing and calling out the idiots that will ruin it for everyone will go a long way...

Thank you for operating the machine responsibly.

I can appreciate the legitimate use of such equipment for crop inspection, water damage tracking, herd monitoring, even search and rescue operations. From personal experience and a list of crap on youtube that people have forwarded to me, there are too many that want to violate people. I do not think so many people would be against them if it was not for those who have so openly been a nuisance, or even criminal.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Thank you for operating the machine responsibly.

I can appreciate the legitimate use of such equipment for crop inspection, water damage tracking, herd monitoring, even search and rescue operations. From personal experience and a list of crap on youtube that people have forwarded to me, there are too many that want to violate people. I do not think so many people would be against them if it was not for those who have so openly been a nuisance, or even criminal.
    And there's the rub. There are too many immature idiots out there who are operating them. Operate one like an idiot and pay the piper.

Top Bottom