Woman dies after failing to learn how to fight with a handgun.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have a neighbor who has carried a lot of different pistols when he had never shot them. I couldn't believe it. Then when he mentioned he didn't carry with one in the chamber I laughed thinking it was a joke.

It wasn't.

He buys a lot of weapons and carries most but doesn't put the range time in to even be sure they are in good working order.

I don't get to practice as much as I should, but I won't carry anything without running a lot of rounds through it.

redryder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Evansville IN
    Sounds like she did everything right. Got a shot off and hit the attacker. She probably did not have time to clear a jam, think about that. Also where was the second gun, in the bottom of her purse? When it is up close and personal you do not have much time.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sounds like she did everything right. Got a shot off and hit the attacker. She probably did not have time to clear a jam, think about that. Also where was the second gun, in the bottom of her purse? When it is up close and personal you do not have much time.

What do you want to bet she didn't break in the gun and verify it's reliability? And that limp wristing contributed to the malfunction due to never learning proper grip?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    What do you want to bet she didn't break in the gun and verify it's reliability? And that limp wristing contributed to the malfunction due to never learning proper grip?
    Very real possibility. If that was the case then she didn't do "everything" right. Preparation for such an event is everything.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The sad truth is that a good 70% of those carrying a gun in Indiana today have never fired it. Not once. Carrying a gun makes you no more prepared to use it than buying a guitar makes you a musician.
    Actually, the sad truth is 65.21% of all statistics are made up.

And yes, I see your point.

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    And yet there are some here on INGO who fight against the idea of required training. Hum.

Would you also require training for the exercise of other Rights?

Perhaps before being able to speak freely you should be required to go through .gov sanctioned "training"? Or maybe before being able to assemble or attend/not attend a church. Or perhaps only "approved" journalists should be able to write articles...OK maybe THAT'S not such a bad idea. :):

Also, I seem to have read about trained police, military and firearm instructors shooting themselves and others even though they were "trained". Only through proper desire and motivation do we achieve excellence in anything, including firearms proficiency.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    That is because nothing should be required for a right! This includes license, permit or training! Were you required to have any training for any of your other rights?
    I do agree anyone who owns a firearm should seek out training on it's use and of State and Federal laws, but required? NO!

Firearm training should be required, but not mandated.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Would you also require training for the exercise of other Rights?

Yes...Now that marriage is a "right" I believe all males and females should go thru some training...

Males-"Yes ma'am", "You look great", "You seem the same size to me as you did the day we were married...", "What girl with the shorts all the way up her rear end? I didn't see her..."

Females-"The yard looks GREAT!", "This is the best BBQ ever honey...Tell me again why you do not have your own cooking show?", "Have you been working out? You just seem stronger to me..."

Some folks are never going to train...Some folks train by shooting every weekend at tin cans...Some folks own guns "just in case" they ever need it....

I train by grilling and watching the ice melt in a bourbon and coke....When it seems to be melting so fast that when I take my first sip it will taste watery I draw my firearm and shoot at an 8 inch gong between 10 and 25 yards away (between 25 and 50 times.....) Sometimes one handed, sometimes two handed, sometimes weak handed...Is this the right way to train? Probably not but it is how I do it nearly every Saturday between 5 pm and 7 pm.....

Note that I do not have even one sip before I shoot.....A cool adult beverage is my reward for taking shots one handed, on a knee, on my back, with a spatula in one hand etc.....I try to do between 30-50 rounds a week off kilter and uncomfortable....It seems that life is that way so I try to shoot that way at least once a week...

IMHO and I am impressed with the amount of training that folks on INGO do....I just like to shoot.....A lot....

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Requirement = necessary/essential; Mandated = binding/regulated. That's my understanding of the difference.
    I kinda get what you're getting at and not to be argumentative (which never happens on Ingo ;)) but it all depends on who is doing the requiring. If you impose a requirement on yourself then I see no problem but if the government imposes that same requirement then I see it being no different than a mandate.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The hardest part is the hesitation, people just aren't hardwired to kill each other. Training can make the shooting more reflexive, it's been done with soldiers for centuries.

Top Bottom