• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    No. Her rights were not infringed because she doesn't make the rules on other people's property.
    So using your reasoning then was Rosa Parks merely virtue signaling? After all she was on another person's property, did not get to make the rules on that property, and was aware of the rules from previous encounters.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So using your reasoning then was Rosa Parks merely virtue signaling? After all she was on another person's property, did not get to make the rules on that property, and was aware of the rules from previous encounters.

State enforced vs privately enforced. One was law, one was not. No comparison.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If only more singers could refuse to sing ...

[video=youtube;V5cOvyDpWfM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5cOvyDpWfM[/video]

I would have to hear her sing to know if it was a good or a bad decision.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    State enforced vs privately enforced. One was law, one was not. No comparison.
    This is a state enforced law as no firearms signs were posted. In Nevada law that means that location is off limits for those exercising their rights;
    hSo279o.jpg

That means that there is little difference here between what the lady was protesting in not singing the national anthem, and what Rosa Parks was protesting. Both were attempting to occupy private space, both had their rights infringed by state law, and both protested that.

Do you consider them both to have been merely virtue signaling? If not why not?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This is a state enforced law as no firearms signs were posted. In Nevada law that means that location is off limits for those exercising their rights;
    hSo279o.jpg

That means that there is little difference here between what the lady was protesting in not singing the national anthem, and what Rosa Parks was protesting. Both were attempting to occupy private space, both had their rights infringed by state law, and both protested that.

Do you consider them both to have been merely virtue signaling? If not why not?

You see little difference between Rosa Parks's protest, and this lady's protest. I disagree. You may have your belief, but I see no reason to engage further will beliefs, that IMO, are beyond the pale.... as there are significant considerations one would have to ignore to believe there is parity between both situations.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Rosa went to jail....This young lady will not...Rosa had a Scots Irish granddaddy that told her people would treat her bad for the color of her skin and that she come from a long line of folks on his side that had the English try to pull that on her ancestors....

When she was asked who her inspiration was for what she did she said her granddaddy told her she was equal to anyone and to never let anyone push her around...

This was chronicled with her quotes in James Webb's book "Born Fighting, How the Scots Irish shaped America"....

HURSDAY, DECEMBER 01, 2016

Rosa Parks' Scotch-Irish great-grandfather, James Percival

NewImage.png

Yes, that Rosa Parks. As this article from 1992about her autobiography entitled Rosa Parks, My Story, states that her "Scotch-Irish great-grandfather was imported to Charleston, S.C., as an indentured servant". Similar comments are here in an article in The Washington Post in 1995.
    He was James Percival(1832–1920), an indentured servant on the Wright estate of the town of Pine Level, Montgomery County, Alabama. He married African-American Mary Jane Nobels, who was a midwife and slave on the same estate. They had nine children.
    Like everyone, Rosa Parks would have had 8 great-grandparents, of which James Percival was only one. Yet James Webb saw fit to mention her in his book Born Fighting, because,like Barack Obama, she apparently mentioned her Scotch-Irish ancestry in her own writings. That is surely significant. If anybody out there has the original source I would be very interested.
    NB: There can however be an unhelpful 'elasticity' with the usage of the term Scotch-Irish, so it's always important to verify the sources. Sometimes it has been used too broadly, being used to mean someone whose ancestry was from either Scotland or Ireland, so not necessarily Ulster at all

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    You see little difference between Rosa Parks's protest, and this lady's protest. I disagree. You may have your belief, but I see no reason to engage further will beliefs, that IMO, are beyond the pale.... as there are significant considerations one would have to ignore to believe there is parity between both situations.
    I do not recall voicing that opinion, and with respect I would hope that you would not ascribe such an opinion to me. I have merely relayed the facts in this matter and how there are distinct similarities; that both ladies had their rights curtailed by state law when they were attempting to occupy space owned by a private entity, and that both ladies were aware of the rule that was in place, and the legal jeopardy attached to it. If those facts are in dispute I would be grateful to hear why you believe I have ignored "significant considerations" instead of trying to avoid the discussion.

Rosa went to jail....This young lady will not...Rosa had a Scots Irish granddaddy that told her people would treat her bad for the color of her skin and that she come from a long line of folks on his side that had the English try to pull that on her ancestors...
    Rosa went to jail because she, in my opinion rightly, challenged the law. She refused to obey it. The singer in this instance is abiding by the law, but noting her objections to it. I will grant that is a difference in that regard, but not in the presence of state law establishing legal jeopardy on private property.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Rosa went to jail because she, in my opinion rightly, challenged the law. She refused to obey it. The singer in this instance is abiding by the law, but noting her objections to it. I will grant that is a difference in that regard, but not in the presence of state law establishing legal jeopardy on private property.

Thank you Oak....:)

a0d332d3dc043ac6e5beff68ccbbe0b5--irish-girls-red-heads.jpg

GrinderCB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Greendale
    It's definitely a start. If any of us decide to not do business with someone or not go somewhere because they ban guns, it's not effective unless they know why we're doing it. Gotta tell them. After DICK's made their policy changes I went on their website, to the section labeled "contact us" and sent a message explaining why my money would be spent with one or more of their competitors who didn't establish a political agenda. The 2nd amendment is part of the Constitution, the LAW OF THE LAND, and as such I expect any and all businesses to respect the LAW OF THE LAND. Individuals I can understand, we all can agree or disagree on politics and such, but when a business I patronize jumps on a political bandwagon it's as if they're telling me that they don't want my money.

Top Bottom