Woman shoots at burglars during home invasion.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Too bad she didn't get all three of them. I think she reacted well for 3 or 4 in the morning, I'm not sure I would be fully thinking and functional in the early AM hours.
    Well at least one of them will no longer be committing crimes.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Could she have not seen the perp who went through the glass door? The night vision cameras provide a really different perspective than what you'd actually see.

kehrhit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Looking at this other extended vid of the scene she does indeed have her phone in her other hand.

It also shows she went to slide lock and didn't seem to think anyone was coming back. Another mag would have been real nice to have, as well as something to prop against the two battered doors while she waited on the police to get there.

Where did the guy come from at the end? Looks like he might have been in an a side bedroom that the three men hadn't opened yet.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I thought she did awesome.
    I could critique her some sure, like use the front sight...
    But, I could only hope to have that same awareness at 3 in the morning.
    I used to be a really light sleeper, nothing got by me,
    But now that I am older, I am much slower to wake.

HOWEVER, her roommate is a moron.
    IMHO of course.
    He took the gun, hopefully to get a new mag, but noooo.
    Then he left her in the room alone, now unarmed.
    No SA at all, no checking if someone came back, he didn't add anything good to the scenario.
    THEN he puts the gun away somewhere and comes back to the front room WITHOUT IT!
    I got the overwhelming sense that he was a pacifist, and the lady was like "MY HOUSE! MY CASTLE! NOT TODAY!"

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I hope that my erlier comment was not taken to defame her. She wasn't perfect but she was more than adequate. My comment was only meant that it would have been nice if all three had deceased.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    :yesway:

Says three men, but that one...dude looks like a lady.
    Was this some business that may have attracted the thugs?
    The last round fired looked...delayed.

We can't see outside they might have turned around and started back. Still, no charges from the juror formally known as printcraft.

kehrhit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Great video footage. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why Hi Caps are so important.

What's the definition of a hi cap? I could only count 6 shots fired from the muzzle flashes. Since she was clearly out at the end I must have missed two? I'm guessing that's a .45 with an 8 round magazine? Or maybe 7 round magazine and I missed one?

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    What's the definition of a hi cap? I could only count 6 shots fired from the muzzle flashes. Since she was clearly out at the end I must have missed two? I'm guessing that's a .45 with an 8 round magazine? Or maybe 7 round magazine and I missed one?

...It's also why capacity arguments tend to be slanted. If you ask her how many shots were required, she'll say all of them (and all of them are justified, although starting to get fuzzy as she shoots out the door*) but actually watching the video shows the situation was resolved with one shot. Had she had a single shot shotgun, the results would have been the same in that they fled and she was unharmed...

From watching this linked video without audio, it seems BBI might be making assumptions beyond what can actually be determined from watching the vid. The BGs seemed to become "hesitant" for a small period of time before "full-on flight" began, and the lady is not visible during that time, so you cannot determine how many shots had been fired before they turned into "track stars" (and you cannot tell how many shots that firearm holds by looking at that video - so counting flashes and observing slide lock will not allow you to back-deduce when the first shot was). At the time, it may not have been clear to all the BGs "who" fired the first shot, since they themselves are "armed" according to the story. By comparison, I've seen videos where the human reaction at the initial shot was to look around and assume a crouched "deer in headlights" posture (ie, still potentially "engaged" in the situation), then "aholes and elbows" retreat begins after the second shot.

So although having a small-cap gun is probably 90% as good as having more, across a broad number of occurrences, given all the moving pieces in this particular scenario, I don't think any reasonable person can view it and conclude with certainty the results would have been the same had she been armed with a single-shot shotgun. If she's on empty, particulary if she's visibly fumbling to reload, and the BGs are still there, hesitant but still potentially engaged (and given that they're armed), I can see this turning out very differently.

Last edited:

wildcatze

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville
    Definitely lucky since all three looked to be carrying and wish she got them all. That is a crazy camera setup for a house and she definitely needs it. Makes me think about how I would react in a similar situation and whether I would go for the handgun or shotgun by my bed.

Top Bottom