Woman shoots at burglars during home invasion.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Im wondering which one of the two going out thd front assumed room temperature. Im assuming the taller one in the back. Looked like he rired at least one time back in her general direction.

The second video indicated the one that died was the shorter guy with dark jacket and wig. It also looked like they fired back after outside. Watch her duck right towards the end, but continue to return fire. At one angle you could see one of the bad guys pointing his gun at her and possibly shooting first. I thought she might have a flash light, but it could have been her cell phone. Also when the guy took the gun from her, you could see the slide was off set. Not actually locked back, but to me it looked like she might have had a malfunction. Very brave little lady. She was very lucky.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    From watching this linked video without audio, it seems BBI might be making assumptions beyond what can actually be determined from watching the vid. The BGs seemed to become "hesitant" for a small period of time before "full-on flight" began, and the lady is not visible during that time, so you cannot determine how many shots had been fired before they turned into "track stars" (and you cannot tell how many shots that firearm holds by looking at that video - so counting flashes and observing slide lock will not allow you to back-deduce when the first shot was). At the time, it may not have been clear to all the BGs "who" fired the first shot, since they themselves are "armed" according to the story. By comparison, I've seen videos where the human reaction at the initial shot was to look around and assume a crouched "deer in headlights" posture (ie, still potentially "engaged" in the situation), then "aholes and elbows" retreat begins after the second shot.

So although having a small-cap gun is probably 90% as good as having more, across a broad number of occurrences, given all the moving pieces in this particular scenario, I don't think any reasonable person can view it and conclude with certainty the results would have been the same had she been armed with a single-shot shotgun. If she's on empty, particulary if she's visibly fumbling to reload, and the BGs are still there, hesitant but still potentially engaged (and given that they're armed), I can see this turning out very differently.

If these guys had been tweakers high out of their minds, it could have been a different story. But as it was they were sober enough to understand it was time to "run like the wind".

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    On a related note, BBI, do you have any data on how effective alarm systems are in situations like this? How often do they stick around and try to defeat the sirens and/or change gears into a "grab what you can in 30 seconds so you at least get SOMETHING. (residential only, excluding retail store smash and grabs where they go in anticipating an alarm)

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    The news report I read said that it was not the lady's house. She is a restaurant manager and stayed at a co-worker's house (I assume the homeowner is that doofus guy that walked down the hall after it was all over). Oh, and the reason that she was firing one handed is because she was using her other hand to call 911. She did great. No need to Monday morning QB it.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    If these guys had been tweakers high out of their minds, it could have been a different story. But as it was they were sober enough to understand it was time to "run like the wind".

So you think "tweakers high out of their minds would be able to accurately shoot back". Or you claiming they could take a lot of shots from her .45 and keep coming? I don't think so. She didn't have time to give them a drug test. She did a fine job.

kehrhit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The news report I read said that it was not the lady's house. She is a restaurant manager and stayed at a co-worker's house (I assume the homeowner is that doofus guy that walked down the hall after it was all over). Oh, and the reason that she was firing one handed is because she was using her other hand to call 911. She did great. No need to Monday morning QB it.

I think she did great as well..I think it's also good to think through the situation and analyze what could have gone better, not to critique her performance but to learn and better prepare.

kehrhit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So you think "tweakers high out of their minds would be able to accurately shoot back". Or you claiming they could take a lot of shots from her .45 and keep coming? I don't think so. She didn't have time to give them a drug test. She did a fine job.

I think the point is that in a one on three battle her charging in and then emptying her magazine may not have been the best strategy... She's got no additional magazines at ready and could have quickly been overpowered had the three individuals behaved differently.

That being said, again she got the job done, and it's very hard to know what you would do in the same situation...late at night, half asleep in the dark with adrenaline....

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

no...
    I think the point is that in a one on three battle her charging in and then emptying her magazine may not have been the best strategy... She's got no additional magazines at ready and could have quickly been overpowered had the three individuals behaved differently.

That being said, again she got the job done, and it's very hard to know what you would do in the same situation...late at night, half asleep in the dark with adrenaline....

Yes. Exactly. If they are too doped up to have the common sense to run when shot at or have no fear about her gun, she would have been hosed. Kinda like this guy and his family.

[video=youtube;7F1nPSNnaBo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F1nPSNnaBo[/video]

Its always good to have enough bullets still in your mag(s) to defend yourself until the cops get there.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Keep in mind, this lady most likely fired that gun for the first time.
    Way too many, purchase a gun, take it home and throw it in a drawer and call it good.

She did fantastic and got the job done.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    no...

Yes. Exactly. If they are too doped up to have the common sense to run when shot at or have no fear about her gun, she would have been hosed. Kinda like this guy and his family.

[video=youtube;7F1nPSNnaBo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F1nPSNnaBo[/video]

Its always good to have enough bullets still in your mag(s) to defend yourself until the cops get there.

Blah, Blah. There's reality and there's fantasy videos like that. How you know she didn't have another magazine? She might have tucked it in her jammies? I bet she outperformed the majority of "experts" on this site. She killed one of the thugs and made the other two think about a career change. And I bet she could shoot one handed better than most people. Again, she did a great job and critiquing her on hypotheticals is BS.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    We are all just guessing based on the video here.

I would say that she did not have a spare mag as she did not use it when her pistol went dry. She walked around for some time with it that way, then let the guy take it from her never to be seen again.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    We are all just guessing based on the video here.

I would say that she did not have a spare mag as she did not use it when her pistol went dry. She walked around for some time with it that way, then let the guy take it from her never to be seen again.

How long before the police arrived anyway? Maybe he wanted to be sure she didn't get shot by an over-zealous deputy, after that exchange with the cretinous dispatcher?

seagullplayer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    Crawford Co
    How long before the police arrived anyway? Maybe he wanted to be sure she didn't get shot by an over-zealous deputy, after that exchange with the cretinous dispatcher?

That right there. Don't survive the shoot out just to get shot by the good guys when they arrive on the seen.
    And another reason to stay on the line with 911 until they arrive.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Young woman in the house, in the bedroom, what do you think these thugs would have done to her before killing her had she not defended herself and property?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    From watching this linked video without audio, it seems BBI might be making assumptions beyond what can actually be determined from watching the vid. The BGs seemed to become "hesitant" for a small period of time before "full-on flight" began, and the lady is not visible during that time, so you cannot determine how many shots had been fired before they turned into "track stars" (and you cannot tell how many shots that firearm holds by looking at that video - so counting flashes and observing slide lock will not allow you to back-deduce when the first shot was). At the time, it may not have been clear to all the BGs "who" fired the first shot, since they themselves are "armed" according to the story. By comparison, I've seen videos where the human reaction at the initial shot was to look around and assume a crouched "deer in headlights" posture (ie, still potentially "engaged" in the situation), then "aholes and elbows" retreat begins after the second shot.

So although having a small-cap gun is probably 90% as good as having more, across a broad number of occurrences, given all the moving pieces in this particular scenario, I don't think any reasonable person can view it and conclude with certainty the results would have been the same had she been armed with a single-shot shotgun. If she's on empty, particulary if she's visibly fumbling to reload, and the BGs are still there, hesitant but still potentially engaged (and given that they're armed), I can see this turning out very differently.

That "hesitant" is time in the OODA loop. Reaction is not instant and lags behind reality by at least 1/3 of a second under even the best of circumstances.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    On a related note, BBI, do you have any data on how effective alarm systems are in situations like this? How often do they stick around and try to defeat the sirens and/or change gears into a "grab what you can in 30 seconds so you at least get SOMETHING. (residential only, excluding retail store smash and grabs where they go in anticipating an alarm)

Nothing firm. I can think of a very few where the system was tested to see if it was monitored (trigger alarm, observe response) then broken in to if the test went ok. I can think of a few cut phone lines, but those were all unoccupied. I'm not aware of anyone still going through with a robbery despite an active alarm on the residential side. Commercial side, either abandon or go into hurry up mode.

Top Bottom