• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I just saw this one on the news this morning. It happened at St. Mary's grade school in Griffith in the parking lot. A woman was shot and killed by her estranged husband, who committed suicide a few minutes later when confronted by police.

Earlier this year, Castro was charged with rape and criminal confinement for allegedly sexually assaulting his wife at his home last year. His wife went to Castro’s home to retrieve some belongings, and Castro pointed a handgun at her forehead and forced her to have sex with him, then threatened to beat her with a crowbar, according to prosecutors.

The woman's two children were witnesses to the killing of their own mother.

Man Shoots Estranged Wife in School Parking Lot | NBC Chicago

Hi im Bob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    NWI
    I was purchasing a gun from blythes about a quarter of a block away when if happened. Rode past there on my way home, cops and people everywhere.

Anyway, sad story and like stated above, really sucks for the kids.

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    There were 45 shootings in Chirac over the weekend. It was safer to be in Afghanistan than Chicago over Easter.

Don't know if your comparing Chicago to NWI, but I don't believe that is a fair nor accurate.

As for the article it is very sad. Seems like just pure rage took over.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Don't know if your comparing Chicago to NWI, but I don't believe that is a fair nor accurate.

I agree. Griffith is a far cry from Chicago. Griffith may be in NWI, but it bears more resemblance to a small town than a large metro area. This is an extreme case of domestic violence, not Chicago-style gang warfare. Domestic violence unfortunately knows no geographical boundaries, it happens anywhere. This one hits close to home for me, I live about 8 miles from St Mary's, ride my bicycle past St. Mary's on my workouts, the pastor was one of my high school teachers back in the early 70s. Very sad.

Sirindu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I can't stand hearing this stuff constantly. Has it always been like this and I was just living with my head up my butt? Seriously, down here in Indy stuff like this has been constant for the past year!

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana

It's easy to say NWI isn't Chicago….but you reference NBC Chicago in your link…so it is a bit befuddling don'tcha think?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    It's easy to say NWI isn't Chicago….but you reference NBC Chicago in your link…so it is a bit befuddling don'tcha think?

Two things to consider. First, NWI gets coverage on the Chicago channels, it just happened to be the first article I saw on the shooting, but it's in the local news outlets as well. Second, the woman had recently moved to Chicago to get away from her nutcase husband, but her kids still go to school in NWI. Unfortunately, the husband turned up where he knew she would be, at school with the kids. Again, this was domestic, not gang related, and domestic violence happens in all localities, from little farming towns to the big city. I only wish she would have taken her kids after the last attack and gone far away, where he couldn't find them.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

When I lived in Scottsburg, all of our news came out of Louisville. Small markets don't get their own networks, so not sure your point.

Domestic violence can, and does, happen everywhere. There's few hatreds stronger than one that was incubated in love.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Two things to consider. First, NWI gets coverage on the Chicago channels, it just happened to be the first article I saw on the shooting, but it's in the local news outlets as well. Second, the woman had recently moved to Chicago to get away from her nutcase husband, but her kids still go to school in NWI. Unfortunately, the husband turned up where he knew she would be, at school with the kids. Again, this was domestic, not gang related, and domestic violence happens in all localities, from little farming towns to the big city. I only wish she would have taken her kids after the last attack and gone far away, where he couldn't find them.

Back in the mid 1970's, there was a bank branch in Portage in the strip mall at RT 6 and Willowcreek and the branch manager was in a bitter divorce and moved to Florida and her EX went to Florida and killed her. Don't know what happened to the ex-husband.

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    Like stated above this could happen anywhere. This has nothing to do with the proximity of Chicago. It is quite interesting that most outside of "NWI" feel that violence is just a norm up here since we are so close to Chicago. Frankly a northwest Indiana town making a Chicago news outlet is not out of the norm.

It is a sad event of domestic violence. In a very quite area.

Top Bottom