• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    An 83-year-old woman was ticketed for throwing day-old-newspaper in a public trash can.

A sanitation worker ran her down and berated her, and gave her a $100 ticket, on Independence Day Weekend, no less.

Giving that garbageman a little bit of power turned him into a real tough guy enforcer, didn't it?

Elderly woman ticketed for throwing trash in trash can
    05.1n003.ticket1--300x450.jpg

Last edited:

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    Last edited:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    The author of that story actually calls himself a journalist? Some details other than how scared she was would help. Maybe they could explain what the law was that she broke?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I suppose we should expect more mundane state employees gaining police powers as our Brave New Society progresses down this path.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I guess I don't understand the idea behind the law. Trash is trash. I could understand fining somebody for pulling their garbage bag out of their kitchen and stuffing it in there, but a little newspaper shouldn't matter. Maybe next time she should throw it on the ground, then pick it back up and put it in the litter bin. Problem solved!

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I guess I don't understand the idea behind the law. Trash is trash. I could understand fining somebody for pulling their garbage bag out of their kitchen and stuffing it in there, but a little newspaper shouldn't matter. Maybe next time she should throw it on the ground, then pick it back up and put it in the litter bin. Problem solved!

I have never been, nor do I have any desire to visit NYC, but I know people who used to live there and garbage disposal is insanely expensive when you think about how cheap it is in Indiana...I don't remember the exact numbers, but each (small) trash bag they have to dispose of is fairly expensive, so it's not really as simply as just dropping off a piece of trash or two out to the local trash can, because people could easily exploit it(and most certainly have or this law wouldn't be in existence).

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I have never been, nor do I have any desire to visit NYC, but I know people who used to live there and garbage disposal is insanely expensive when you think about how cheap it is in Indiana...I don't remember the exact numbers, but each (small) trash bag they have to dispose of is fairly expensive, so it's not really as simply as just dropping off a piece of trash or two out to the local trash can, because people could easily exploit it(and most certainly have or this law wouldn't be in existence).

If it's causing a financial burden on the city, especially in hard economic times, then I guess it makes sense to crack down on people gaming the system. I have also never been to NYC so this being an issue never occurred to me. I have also never had a desire to visit that city. I had a lady from NYC sitting next to me on an airplane the other day and she asked if I ever planned on visiting NYC. I lied and said it seemed like an interesting place that I'd someday like to visit. She was elderly so that seemed like the nicest thing to say, shame on me. :(

Ronald

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Interesting. I wonder how much authority those sanitation workers have? Obviously enough to detain people and write tickets. What if somebody refused to give up their I.D. or just ran, would they give chase?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Interesting. I wonder how much authority those sanitation workers have? Obviously enough to detain people and write tickets. What if somebody refused to give up their I.D. or just ran, would they give chase?

They would just tase you bro! :D
    This lady was clearly out of control and a dangerous criminal, she should have been tased.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    I'll just leave these here...

NYC_Sanitation_Police_Patch.jpg

chiesa002-vi.jpg

So the guy wasn't actually a garbageman as has been assumed in this thread. Is it ridiculous that NYC has an entire police department dedicated to enforcing laws with respect to the trash? I think so. But it's not as if the guy was a run-of-the-mill trash thrower.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I'll just leave these here...

NYC_Sanitation_Police_Patch.jpg

chiesa002-vi.jpg

So the guy wasn't actually a garbageman as has been assumed in this thread. Is it ridiculous that NYC has an entire police department dedicated to enforcing laws with respect to the trash? I think so. But it's not as if the guy was a run-of-the-mill trash thrower.

What a joke NYC has become. I haven't been there for about 4 or 5 years and with these types of stories continuing to emerge, I doubt I'll be back any time soon.

Top Bottom