• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I was standing in one of the local "big box" gun emporiums about two weeks ago, just scanning their used wares, and there was this elderly couple there checking out the new handgun rack. The older guy was pretty shakey, and the wife was not much better, but the husband was wanting to get his wife a pistol for around the house. I could tell that he knew somewhat about pistols and such, but was insisting that she get a 1911 style like his pistol. She stated that she really did not want such a large gun, so the guy behind counter started to show her some of the smaller ones. Meanwhile, the husband walks away to go check out the ammo shelves. She sees a Taurus chambered in .25 ACP and asked about it, so the clown working there hands it to her. She says that she likes the feel of it and asked if the "bullet" it fires is as powerful as the "forty something" her husband had, and the numbnuts says "welllllll...its pretty close"! I look up at the lady and say that she might want to have the husband check that out before she gets sold on the .25. I don't know how they came out because I had to get going, but good god man, the .25 ACP is "close" to the .45 ACP in the power department? Not likely.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I just dont think they really took me seriously like i was wasting their time. I dont think they know what to do when a women walks in by herself. lol

This is about it right here. I worked in one of the biggest gun shops in Michigan and saw this attitude quite often. The owners would always have someone else help female customers when they came in. I didn't mind at all though. For one I liked to see more women coming in and being interested in shooting.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I just dont think they really took me seriously like i was wasting their time. I dont think they know what to do when a women walks in by herself. lol

Wow, are you kidding? My first thought would be "Hmmm... a woman in a gun shop. I bet she's not here to window shop. Or sit on the stool and shoot the bull with us for an hour."

Nope, a woman in a gun gun shop has already made up her mind that she's in the market for something.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    I've had good and bad. I know this sound "girly" but I really think it depends on what I'm wearing. Jeans and T-shirt or sports jersey - quick service and have been treated like I have a brain. Dress and heels (I was on my way to a party and was early) - I couldn't get anyone to show me what I wanted to see. All about the little pink 22.

But it's the same way for auto parts. All about appearance.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I've had good and bad. I know this sound "girly" but I really think it depends on what I'm wearing. Jeans and T-shirt or sports jersey - quick service and have been treated like I have a brain. Dress and heels (I was on my way to a party and was early) - I couldn't get anyone to show me what I wanted to see. All about the little pink 22.

But it's the same way for auto parts. All about appearance.

You make an excellent (and true) point.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    And see, I've just admitted to going to a gun shop in a dress and heels. Guess there is no backing out now!

_0llZll0_

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Thanks for all your comments so far. It looks like most of you live up north. Maybe i will have to take a road trip up that way and check out the shops.

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    Thanks for all your comments so far. It looks like most of you live up north. Maybe i will have to take a road trip up that way and check out the shops.

I'm not knocking a trip up north to see JetGirl and others. In fact, I think that'd be a very fun trip, but I've had very good experiences at stores in the Indy area...particularly Bradis and Elmore's. ...whether I'm in heels and a skirt, or jeans and tennis shoes.

Bradis is even a site advertiser. I'd recommend you check them out. and Elmore's has a very nice selection of incredibly sexy 1911s...if that happens to be your thing.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Or sit on the stool and shoot the bull with us for an hour."

On the other hand, ladies (I know, I'm quoting myself), if you do want to go shoot the bull, drop by Plainfield Shooting Supplies on a slow day when Deb is there.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Where are you located? And what's this local shop that actually treated you well?
    My experience has been that they either ignore me (especially when I walk in with the boyfriend) or try to steer me towards the pink guns, even though I'm looking at "manly" guns. :rolleyes:
    The few times I've walked in to a gun store by myself, it's been Blythe's in Griffith and they've been nothing but helpful. They treated me with respect and did not try to sell me something I clearly was not interested in.

I also have to say, I like the idea of walking in and acting like a clueless girl to see what they try to sell me. Very devious! :D

Blythes does have decent service but there prices are mostly insane. I used to get alot from them but not much of anything other then ammo I cant get anyware else. They have not realy been that good to my wife when we have gone in there. She hates when they always steer her to a revolver. All this has inspired me to my current workings. :D Soon ladies you shall have a place that welcomes you and your opinions on the world of guns. It will be exceptional. Feel free to pm me for more info and if you would like to help a guy help you more.:ingo:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I live near Indianapolis.

If you have not checked out Bradis on SR67 between 465 and Mooresville (at Camby Road intersection, I highly recommend it. Not once have I had a problem. Which is a bad thing because I'm fighting the urge to relieve them of some inventory, and they are more than accommodating.

On the other hand, ladies (I know, I'm quoting myself), if you do want to go shoot the bull, drop by Plainfield Shooting Supplies on a slow day when Deb is there.

Not allowed to shoot the bull with the guys? :dunno:

:cool:

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I wish i could open my own gun shop. I would love to be my own boss.

Be careful what you wish for, lol! ;)

Seriously though, anyone can call and make an appointment with Donna here at IGS. She's an NRA Instructor and RSO as well as an IDPA competitor and RSO. She's Director of Women's Programs here at IGS. We wanted our female clients to have such an option.

bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    To be fair, I have been at this gun store in INDY and have seen and had bad experiences.

I was looking at the guns on display, and heard this;
    W= Woman
    S= Sales person

W I am looking for a gun to protect myself.
    S Have you ever shot a gun?
    W Yes, a friend of mine has a gun. I have shot her revolver a few times.
    S Well a revolver would be best for you.................

Swear to God, this guy pulls a .357 out of the case. Then says this would be the best protection........... then continues on saying things like, yes it would fit in a purse, etc. I couldn't take it anymore and walked away. I have no idea if she bought that cannon.

I do know I will never go to that gun store again.

_0llZll0_

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Thanks for all the replies. So far the best shop has been Highsmith Guns. Small shop but i heard recently that they are talking about moving to a new location for more space and an indoor range in Greenfield IN.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Last week, I went to a new sporting goods store to check it out. (They had a .223 that I was interested in.)

I went back to the gun department and walked back & forth, stood around and the young man stocking ignored me. A couple went to him and asked about something and he took them over a couple of rows then came back - still ignoring me. :xmad:

Finally, I went over to him and asked about the guns. All he did was hand me a plastic info holder about one then walked away.
    I didn't even ask him to show me one. Instead I just walked away. Don't think I'll do any shopping there. :xmad:

(I did find a .45 at Big R that I like a lot. THEY didn't ignore me!! :rockwoot:Guess who will be getting my money. :D )

Top Bottom