• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cheeseburger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I recently went in search of a new carry gun. I went to a store that I had purchased several guns from in the past and no one even said hello to me as I took my time and looked through the display cases. I ended up walking out of a couple stores because no one would acknowledge me and eventually went back to one of them based on price and made myself known. I found it frustrating that I was there to buy and the salesmen kept wasting their time on guys you could tell just wanted to touch and talk. When the gunsmith waited on me as the others were to busy, we got to talking. When he figured out I knew the right questions and I cleaned my own guns he seemed a bit taken back. When we started talking about the reassembly of the bolt on the Mosin Nagant his face lite up in a smile and a "thank God for you tube" statement. I guess it's good I don't look like a gun owner, but it sure can be frustrating!

Since manor of dress was mentioned; I had on jeans, a colored tee shirt and a zipped sweat shirt. My truck driving clothes.

_0llZll0_

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    I will have to check all these shops out. I have been to Bradis but that was years ago when i lived out that way. Indy Gun Safety i will have to stop by when i get a sunday off work. Never been to Plainfield shop.

It would be good to meet some INGO members.

Have a great day.
    Z

oldshaky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Greensburg
    My daughter laughed in the face of the person behind the counter at a local gun store & walked out . She went to the vehicle leaving me there feeling embarrassed , I looked at the owner & said , I think you P___ED HER OFF , then I made my out of the store not to return .

eblevins

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    women collectors

There are some women collectors out there. It is funny to watch them negotiate a buy or trade. Most men are caught off guard or don't take them serious. :n00b:

MamaBear.380

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Vanderburgh County
    I don't tend to have issues when it comes to shopping about at the guns stores, but I tend to stick out as the country girl.
    But I do have to say recently I have found one gun store I love just because the people their are great, friendly, helpful. Just last week I went in to talk to them about fixing my Llama 380. I had my daughter with me, which didn't at all stop them from helping me and being friendly. Then I noticed that there was a lil girl walking about the store couldn't have been more then 3 or 4 that was greeting everyone, it was one of the workers daughter. A store that's family orientated like that makes me feel welcomed.
    I have been back to that store two times since that visit and will be going back again there's no doubt about that. They did a wonderful job fixing my gun and the price wasn't bad on the repair. The name of the store is Right to Bear Arms.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    They didn't try to get you into the pink .38 snubby? Amateurs. Seriously, I haven't worked retail that much, but I can't imagine discounting female customers. Of course I used to dress down when I went shopping for stereo equipment & such, find what I wanted and take down the slowest sales guy of the herd...

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Last weekend I purchased a Ruger SP101 357 from McGalliard Guns & More in Muncie. The guys there were great. They were enthusiastic to be showing and selling a gun to a "girl". There was a pink 38 special a couple guns from the the Ruger but they didn't even try to show it to me.

I asked them to do better on the price and they did, and I countered for an even amount out the door and they accepted. It was a pleasant and easy transaction. They even helped me find a holster for it.

I will continue to stop in their shop whenever I am in Muncie.

Theslab1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Lafayette
    From a business standpoint and given the growth/popularity and shear increase in gun interest, permit applications and sales, if a female comes into a gun shop I would imagine she is very interested to purchase. Not a tire kicker.

Curious what percentage of females looking at guns purchase vs. males?

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    When I went out and looked for my first pistol, which I just got a few weeks ago, I took my best friend for just this reason. We had looked online and compared prices and ended up only stopping at one place.

It was strange to me as they weren't that busy and no one really came up to us even though we were standing at the counter waiting, patiently. When the gent finally came over to help us we didn't really let him ask what I was looking for... we just told him and pointed. He wasn't rude or hateful but he did try to default to a smaller gun. (I wanted to see the Taurus 709 Slim and similar ones, which the 709 is what I ended up with) He said a few short things about the recoil being strong and that most women default to a smaller caliber. I didn't get the chance to say anything as my best friend beat me to it... "She's a black belt in martial arts, she can handle it." I just got to stand there and smile...

I did end up get my 709 but from a different store, and they were awesome! Anyone in the Clarksville/Sellersburg area I recommend HiTek and I'm across the river!

Because of transfer's and whatnot I had to pick it up on my side but even there everyone was really respectful and nice. The lady who ended up calling in to NICS and finishing the transfer really liked what I had picked out and said she's glad not all women default to the pink stereotype.

I didn't have a horrible experience but I feel as though it would have gone completely different had I not gone with my best guyfriend.

MamaBear.380

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Vanderburgh County
    Just went down across the river over to Whittakers today. Unfortunately they were out of the LC9, I've been kind of eyeing but I found a Taurus 709 Slim and liked the feel of the gun. Also got a Taurus revolver for my boyfriend as well for a anniversary/birthday gift. The experience was great, they were all very helpful even thou they were very busy today. I'll pick up both of the guns tomorrow afternoon and can't wait to take my new baby out shooting and see how it goes. I couldn't pass of either of the deals I got on the both of them.

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    I've been kind of eyeing but I found a Taurus 709 Slim and liked the feel of the gun....

That was my first gun. Just got it about a month ago and quite love it. BlueEagle posted the Range Report for it if you want to check it out. :)
    It's pretty swell.

That's where my shopping experience came from ^^up there.

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Curious what percentage of females looking at guns purchase vs. males?

I'm not sure about that percentage, but I know that when *I* go into the gunshop with my husband, I am there because we are going to buy something. I know that women control most major household purchases. I am absolutely not interested in windowshopping for firearms. Firearms are a tool. I own them because they are useful. Browsing and tire-kicking firearms interests me about as much as browsing a wall of hammers. Not at ALL. I'm there to choose what we want, buy it, and go. It might take me an hour of trying out different models, etc., and I might have some questions and ask for recommendations, but we are there to get the tool that our family needs. And, my young kids will most likely be with us, because it's not like they can look after themselves.

I also don't like my husband buying any "family" weapons when I'm not there, because he just does not get it that all of us are not supertall males with an arm span and muscle strength to match.

I've always felt like we've been treated well at gunshops. Maybe because when someone asks if they can help, I say, "I'm here to buy XXX. I want it to do this and this. I don't want it to do that or that." Also probably because we go to gunshops that have a good reputation for treating people well. At places like Gander Mountain or Dicks, we're usually there for something else and I just get dragged over to the gun section (see above re: hammers, browsing). We pretty much get ignored while he browses, and I'm cool with that.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I know this is an old thread, but I couldn't resist adding my :twocents:.

Made a purchase Saturday at Bradis (got great service BTW, always do). Brought my tire kicking husband with me - not because I didn't know what I wanted but because when you say "I'm going to the gun store" in my house the next thing you hear it the engine running in the truck. I'm with most of the girls here in saying yes it's minor browsing but mostly we know EXACTLY what we are looking for and the only thing we need to do is put the two or three things in our hands to determine which size or weight we prefer. It is a tool. It serves a purpose. It is my protection when the hubby isn't there to be a grizzly bear and the first line of defense. It isn't supposed to be pretty, I'm not buying fuzzy slippers. What I do struggle with is getting my husband away from the sales counter long enough to get the sales man away from him so I can check out.

Top Bottom