• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IN Gun Girl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    I live in Northern Indiana, and LOVE Tomlinson's in Churubusco. The guys there are great with women shooters, and DO NOT pressure you towards a pink revolver; like other stores that I have been to. If you travel there Dennis (the owner) is great and one salesman LANE is great too! They are more than willing to take out every gun in the cases so you can find what you like. I have great luck at TOMLINSONS, and encourage women to shot there EVERY chance I get!!

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I felt like a big woman the last time i was at bradis. they had the gun i wanted but it wasn't in the right color. im sure the guy i was talking to was thinking i was hopeless.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Keep looking for the right one

I felt like a big woman the last time i was at bradis. they had the gun i wanted but it wasn't in the right color. im sure the guy i was talking to was thinking i was hopeless.

Don't feel bad. Most people wouldn't buy shoes or a shirt that wasn't the right color. So why would you want to buy a gun that's not the color you want when they cost a lot more and last longer?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I live in Northern Indiana, and LOVE Tomlinson's in Churubusco. The guys there are great with women shooters, and DO NOT pressure you towards a pink revolver; like other stores that I have been to. If you travel there Dennis (the owner) is great and one salesman LANE is great too! They are more than willing to take out every gun in the cases so you can find what you like. I have great luck at TOMLINSONS, and encourage women to shot there EVERY chance I get!!

Don't forget us chick types that work there. :):
    Introduce yourself sometime. I have no idea who you are...but if you come in when Lane & Denny are there, I know you're there when I am. (Lane and I usually have the same schedule).

stewballs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Have had several ladies buy guns from me, some knew what they were getting others ask and was very happy with some show and tell. I am always happy to teach when someone wants to listen.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Don't feel bad. Most people wouldn't buy shoes or a shirt that wasn't the right color. So why would you want to buy a gun that's not the color you want when they cost a lot more and last longer?

Thanks. I felt a little petty but if I'm spending money on something it's going to be the one I want. On a similar note any one know where I can find a black and I'd green Mel tech pf9?

jessica47201

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    Trafalger and Madison, Indiana
    I go to a gun store in Clarksville, Indiana and I love them. They have never treated me like a "girl" always like a customer. They had no problem selling me my Beretta .40, my AR, or my Kimber .45. I went to a gun store in Louisville and at first when I was looking for a .40 the guy tried to get me into a 9mm. Then I went into a gun store in Madison, Indiana with a Browning A5 to get some information on it because I didn't know anything about the shotgun. The guy did treat me like a "girl". I've never bought anything there and I probably won't. I go to the one in Clarksville, Indiana and alway ask for "Punkin"!!

_0llZll0_

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Went to Bradis for the first time in a very long time. I was just window shopping but they took the time with my questions and i was treated very well. I was there looking at the AR's. I didnt buy yesterday but i did get a better idea of which one i will get when i decide to spend the money.

Z

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Don't forget us chick types that work there. :):
    Introduce yourself sometime. I have no idea who you are...but if you come in when Lane & Denny are there, I know you're there when I am. (Lane and I usually have the same schedule).

I was there last Saturday signing up for Ideal Shooting Range. Lane was installing new sights in a rifle. The short, grey-haired bearded guy said you were not there. Said Saturday was your day off. Sorry I missed you. Some day . . .

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I was there last Saturday signing up for Ideal Shooting Range. Lane was installing new sights in a rifle. The short, grey-haired bearded guy said you were not there. Said Saturday was your day off. Sorry I missed you. Some day . . .

And of course yesterday (Saturday) I was there from open til close. :D
    It figures.

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    Okay, I know I've posted here before about my first experience, but since then I've been to two other shops. Both are on my side of the river, so I doubt if anyone has been there...

However, first one I went to, was extremely nice. :) The two guys there were really helpful and offered what I considered to well rounded. They didn't treat me any different because I was a woman. It was amazing! And, he even complemented my first gun, and he did voice his opinion on it but still made it out to be nice. I think he was just trying to impress me.

BUT, I went to a local gun store that just moved into my town a few months ago... and I was quite displeased. I walked in with the sole purpose of getting more ammo, provided the price was right, and potentially get to know them. I was greeted by the most amazing dog ever, which I thought would be a good sign. However, questions were asked and they asked me what I owned and I didn't even get Taurus completely out of my mouth before the scoffs started. I was schooled on why my Taurus is worthless and why I should get a revolver. (Possibly pink, but I'm not sure...) And then when I told him I didn't like revolvers he started to school me on Glocks. Said they the best ever and they're the only thing he ever recommends. Blahblahblah more crap. I left. With no ammo and a decision that even though that one is up the street, I have no desire to go back.

GAH! I've been holding that one in for awhile....

cassaireland05

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Hillsboro IN
    Every time i walk into a gun shop the men are always amazed to how much I know. I love it, seeing there expressions. Actually i was at the gun show in indy on March 17th, i was by my self looking for a carry and I asked a guy if he has seen any AUGs. He looked at me and laughed. Asked what I would do with an AUG and why I wanted one. My response was because I have two .308 and i needed a smaller round or caliber than a .308.One its cheaper to shoot and I didn't need another .308. I told them what I have and they laughed. They said wow she knows more than most men here. Every time I go buy guns or ammo I get asked the same question. I love it! I always hear your one of a kind. Just use your knowledge to your benefit. :)

ItIsWhatItIs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    DO *****NOT***** try to sell me a friggin pink gun. Or cuffs. or any other pink tac gear. its insulting. embarrassing even. and don't assume that i want that cheapy piece you want to get off your hands. in fact, if i ask for X, just show me X.

i have found it doesn't really help to take a guy along, because in that situation i just get ignored altogether. At least if i go alone, i stand a chance at getting what i want, if only so the proprietor can get me the hell outta there!

udchemist

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    i think its interesting - whenever I take my hubby, they only talk to him. when i go by myself, if i can get a salespersons attention, they expect an ignoramus. i am definitely not some blond bimbo - why treat all women like they are? even worse is gun shows - i walk in with my gun and it seems like every fifth guy is asking me how much i want for it.....no, i do not want to sell my third gen smith....and yes, i like it much more than the cheapy gun you are trying to sell me. ugh!

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Boys will be boys. I've had some shops & some show dealers try to show me pink guns, 22's or other small caliber guns. I usually then start telling them I already have a couple 357's so I really don't think their tiny gun will do much for me. If I have my SP101 with me I will even lift my shirt or open my purse to give them a peek at it to let them know I'm more than just a silly girl.

I have been treated well at most places. One shop teased me that I should buy their big gun because it would make me look taller. We all laughed and I wasn't offended. I thought it was an original approach and at least the gun was a Desert Eagle or other large gun & not some small pink gun.

As long as a place is friendly and open to showing me whatever I want to see, I don't care what they say. If I think they are talking sh*t I just give it right back to them in a friendly manner. Most places I have been to like that women are getting interested in guns.

mlake12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    my wife went into the shop the other day, i was talking with a buddy and the employees very graciously answered her questions, sometimes its easier for a woman to hear something NOT from her husband when fairly new to the sport, she walked out impressed.

Madine85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    I think it's funny that most of the ladies in this thread get really annoyed at being steered toward the pink gun. Both of my everyday carry pistols are pink, and the shotgun stock is going to get painted pink once it gets here. One of the gun stores Blueeagle and I go to, HiTek, even pointed out a used pink revolver because they thought I would like it. They helped me figure out that it wasn't really the caliber of some of Blueeagle's guns that I disliked but the fact they were automatic. (Hence pointing out the revolver.) They know I'm a newbie, and don't know much about guns, but don't talk down to me and I feel they listen to what I want.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Funny time for me to see this thread. My GF just bought her 1st 1911 last week. Nice SA milspec. She went in by herself and purchased.
    I was informed the sales "kid" at the counter steered her to the tiny "semi" section initially. I got the "Guys are so stupid" from her. I just agree instead of involving myself in a long conversation I'll never be justified in even being in to start with. (Not all guys are dumb)
    A few months ago she was terrified of handguns and now is so danged picky about holsters, ammo, cleaning accessories, etc she's becoming a P.I.A.
    She's proficient at tear down, cleaning, inspection, and I've decided on getting her a gift certificate for self defense training for her birthday.
    "WE'VE" had the discussion that she's NOT shooting all my .45acp stash and to get her own.
    I refuse to go to gun shops with her anymore. It takes HOURS. I should have known...as she's the same way at the grocery too!

JourneyAbout

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Last week I was visiting my parents in Kokomo so I headed up to Bullseye. They were great! The staff were very nice to me and didn't treat me like I was stupid. They let me fire the gun I was looking at.

I've been into a lot of hobbies where women are expected to know nothing or they are ignored altogether. Cycling comes to mind.... If I do not feel welcome I will leave and make a point to never go back again.

Top Bottom