• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    My wife, mother, and sister attended the Women's Only Class at Applied Ballistics Systems Inc. in Lafayette last Sunday and I just wanted to give it a quick review from what she told me. She's not on INGO.

Overall they enjoyed it very much. It was an 8 hour class consisting of 6 hours classroom time and 2 hours of range time. There were breaks and lunch was ordered in. They had fantastic things to say about their instructor Van Phillips. They enjoyed the way he taught, the fact that he believed in what he was teaching, and that he was very easy to listen to. I'm simply amazed at the amount of information they picked up. I feel like I can talk to her about things now (calibers, terminology, gun types, action types, etc.) and she knows exactly what I'm talking about. They all three ended up with new safety glasses and bright pink ear muffs. They shot a multitude of different guns and each had an idea of the type of gun they may want to look into further. There was another woman there at the class who, from what I gather, was a competitive shooter and acted as a sort of range helper during that portion of the class. There were funny videos, serious videos, and Van brought his own "aresenal" of hand guns with him so the girls could look at them and feel them. I don't believe that he let anyone shoot his personal guns, but the fact that there were so many available made the classroom portion more beneficial.

My wife prior to this class was afraid of guns, and had absolutely no interest in shooting, carrying, or even interacting with firearms. Now she wants to get her LTCH, wants to look into a few different types of guns (and rent them to try them out) and is considering the idea of carrying, although not until she gets a gun and becomes more familiar with it).

The staff at ABSI were friendly as usual and at least toward the end of the class the sign on the door said closed but they weren't trying to rush the girls out.

Overall they would give this class an A+ and would highly recommend it to any woman feeling a bit intimidated about firearms and/or wanting to learn more. It's women only, taken from the very beginning and there is no experience required. By the end they were talking about group size, double taps, and how they really like the FN Five-Seven. I was totally amazed.

We sent along a Glock 17, Jennings .22, 38 Snubbie, Walther P22, and Colt Woodsman .22 along with associated ammo. The girls fired them all along with some of the guns other women brought. One girl's husband sent her in with a full size .45 or .40 (she couldn't remember) and the girl had quite a time trying to shoot it. She did it, safely, and wasn't afraid but it might not be a good idea to take your guy's gun if it's overly large. ABSI has guns for rent and they will only charge you the rental fee for half hour even though you'll have it the whole time you need it for the class.

Hope this helps, feel free to email or PM me with questions and I'll get the answer from one of the girls who was there.

-Josh

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Thanks for the review. I want to get my girlfriend to go, especially since its about 3 blocks from my house. She shot my Glock 22 and was ok with it, but said it had a bit too much kick. I figure if I can get her to go to this class she can try some different calibers and hopefully get a bit more into shooting.

Top Bottom