• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    I was thinking of building a big bore ar.. If you were going to build one, what caliber would you go with? 450 bushmaster or 458 socom? I load and cast both diameter bullets, so loading is not an issue. I'm sorta leaning to the socom, but was wondering if anyone likes one over the other?
    Thanks!

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I went with Socom due to taking rifle bullets rather than handgun bullets. It is expensive to shoot even reloading for it. The 450 has went mainstream, giving more factory options for both guns and ammo.
    If I did it ove I might change my mind. However, I am very happy with 458, mine is a tack driving sledgehammer.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    How does a rig like that compare to a large bore lever gun? I've heard of people hunting with them and the brass being expensive, but wondered how they stacked up for accuracy and cost.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    How does a rig like that compare to a large bore lever gun? I've heard of people hunting with them and the brass being expensive, but wondered how they stacked up for accuracy and cost.
    Depends on preference. I also hunt with a Marlin 1894 44 mag. which is lighter and easier handling. But since I got bit by the AR bug I wanted to start hunting with one. With my guns I can squeeze out an additional 50 yards with the 458. I am sure this is due to limitations, not the guns. Although, I did almost throw away the Marlin when I first got it. It shot a pattern not a group. Found going to a .430 diameter XTP tightened things way up. The 458 was a custom job. Wasn't overly impressed with factory loads. Loaded up some FTX's over H110 and got one hole groups with my starting load. Didn't even try anything else.
    i have taken 2 deer with the 458. If shot placement is off, plan on losing meat. Of course I have lost meat with 44 too. If you shoot through a shoulder with either there will be waste.

Cost: Ammo is way more for the 458. As is the cost of brass. 1894 was purchased 7-10 years ago for $500 no optics. The 458 upper was purchases 2 1/2 years ago for $650 for just the upper.

I am am currently playing with a 6.8 SPC in hopes of having one gun for deer and coyotes. If I get it worked out the 458 may find its way into the classifieds. I will pass the Marlin down to my son eventually.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Me being the ******* that I am, would first ask, can you build a functional rifle in the caliber it was designed for first?

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Yee... I have built several normal rifles, 2 16 inch and a 20 inch, a 16 in 300 bo, and 2 pistols. So far, no problems out of any of those.

I think I will try a 458, just for kicks. I can't seem to get out to hunt, so it will be just a plinking rifle.
    I'll end up with both calibers anyway, but i'll get a 458 first.

I already load with 458 bullets, 452 bullets and 500 bullets, so i'll end up with a 50 also I suspect.. just rebuild the funds between each one.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I went with Socom due to taking rifle bullets rather than handgun bullets. It is expensive to shoot even reloading for it. The 450 has went mainstream, giving more factory options for both guns and ammo.
    If I did it ove I might change my mind. However, I am very happy with 458, mine is a tack driving sledgehammer.

Ditto.

Top Bottom