• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    First and foremost, I am a 1911 aficionado. Been carrying a 1911 .45 since 1985 or so...technically since 1980 if you count the 4 years in the Army.

Second....I have always considered the Glock a fine pistol...easy to operate, reliable...they are sort of the Honda of the gun world. The Glock is not for me. Not my thing, but I do recognize them as being a very good firearm.

The next wave of pistols to come out was the Springfield XD, Smith M&P, etc...you know the body type I am describing here...there are lot of this style around. Everyone was bying them like crazy and all the magazines were spouting off how great they are, etc...

So my question is this...

as I look on INGO classifieds, Armslist, etc., it seems there is overabundance of the XD/M&P styled pistols for sale EVERYWHERE....and I even have to include Glocks as well.

Why is this? If these are such fine pistols, why are there so many for sale...more than any other pistol style out there?

Doesnt anyone buy a pistol and keep it for long periods of time becoming beyond expert with it?

Let me explain...if I found, say a Glock, that I love ...why would I ever sell/trade? Why would I keep buying and buying....

I keep remembering the old adage of "Beware a man who only has one gun and it is well worn"....I feel that describes me and my 1911....I have only owned 3 1911s over the years...and never at the same time...

Anyway....why are so many of the Glocks, XD, M&P, etc styled pistols for sale everywhere as opposed to ..say 1911s? What is wrong with them?

Perhaps a case of too much over-hype by the gun media?

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I can answer your question !!! My 1911 are a work of "ART" customize for me, I don't want to damage the finish or risk damaging the gun by carrying it & banging it against trees & walls. That's why I have a glock in the truck of my ATV, cause a glock isn't a thing of beauty or a collectors piece, glock is just a tool without a frame mounted safety, so if i marred the glocks finish so what

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Interesting observation.

I have bought and sold revolvers.
    I have bought and sold polymer semi-autos.
    I have bought and sold rifles.
    I have bought and sold shot guns.
    I have bought 1911s. Period.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Lot's of reasons. You are right in the Glock being the Honda of the firearm world. They are inexpensive, reliable and do the job they were bought to do. They are really not guns that most get passionate about. Lot's of folks buy a Glock as their first handgun and when they discover that they like shooting, they move up to better (as in craftsmanship) guns and sell the polymer wonders. I often carry a Glock, but I never look at a Glock like I look at a 1911 or CZ. My 1911s and CZs are guns that I hope my grandkids will carry some day. My Glock is more like a daily driver Honda where as my CZs and 1911s are more like the vintage Mustang kept in the garage because you just love the thing.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I keep remembering the old adage of "Beware a man who only has one gun and it is well worn"....I feel that describes me and my 1911....I have only owned 3 1911s over the years...and never at the same time...

Why are you supposed to beware?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I'm going to answer this question the way everybody wants it answered. "Because the gun you are asking about is junk and those that are trying to sell them realized the error of their ways and are looking to repent." About once a week somebody will say that they see "X GUN" for sale 'more than any other gun out there'.. I'm just impressed that somebody has checked every single gun for sale add and website to come up with that observation. I mean, just last week somebody was asking about the LCR and the week before that it was the M&P I believe. Which one is it? Which one is out there 'more than any other?'

People buy stuff and people sell stuff. Right now there are 4 Glocks for sale on page 1 of this site's Handgun section...but neither of those 4 are the same. 2 are G17 but one is a Gen 3 and the other a Gen 4. There are also 2 Kimbers, 4 S&W autos, a couple of Springfields... there is no rhyme or reason as to why you see stuff up for sale. To think that there must be something wrong with a manufacturer's product simply because you see a few of their offerings up for sale is a bit short-sighted. I see a ton of used Ford trucks out there but you'd best bet it wouldn't stop me from buying one. And since I NEVER see a used AMC Gremlin for sale...then that must be it is the finest car ever made. Sorry for a rant but I get a bit weary of this sort of question being asked all the time.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Ohhh!! It's a rant about the classifieds! I get it.
    Well, in that case... I hate it when an ad on the other end of the state says "will NOT ship!". I'm always willing to pay extra for it, but man you just lost several hundred dollars if nobody else ever bites...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Anyway....why are so many of the Glocks, XD, M&P, etc styled pistols for sale everywhere as opposed to ..say 1911s? What is wrong with them?

The market. Nothing wrong with the plastic fantastic guns, but, remember, there is a generation that knows nothing but plastic guns. A 21 year old walking into a gun store to look at guns knows that Glocks have "always" been around. He has no other frame of reference.

Nothing wrong with that, just the facts of market dynamics at work. At younger ages one's finances and tastes or dictates of SWMBO causes one to sell a motorcycle or a gun. Thus, if a pistol is sold by a newly engaged 25 year old, it is likely a polymer pistol.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    These threads amuse me. They always begin with the OP acting as if they've had an epiphany and have to share their proof that "________" gun/guns must suck simply because they are plentiful in the used market.

Hondas and Toyotas are plentiful in the used market as well, and much for the same reason... Millions were made and continue to be made, and they run forever.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    Interesting observation.

I have bought and sold revolvers.
    I have bought and sold polymer semi-autos.
    I have bought and sold rifles.
    I have bought and sold shot guns.
    I have bought 1911s. Period.
    great point. also going with the auto reference. I started on Hondas 360, 750 then gold wing. "graduated to a sporty , dyna, softail and now ultra classic. the same with my guns , glock, Springfield and in the last year a TRP, 2 RIA, 2 SR 1911 and last week a gold cup. All keepers.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    great point. also going with the auto reference. I started on Hondas 360, 750 then gold wing. "graduated to a sporty , dyna, softail and now ultra classic. the same with my guns , glock, Springfield and in the last year a TRP, 2 RIA, 2 SR 1911 and last week a gold cup. All keepers.

Gosh, that means you're almost ready to move up to a CZ. :laugh:

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    There are people who decide that the caliber is not for them and wish to downgrade/upgrade (40 to 9 or 9 to 40). There are firearms that feel great on the showroom floor but don't fit the hand well on the range. There are impulse purchases (I'd say that is the biggest case on trade-ins in my shop).

There are about 8 to 12 very good manufacturers today and they all produce good to great guns with an occasional flop. There is nothing wrong with a Springfield...but I happen to prefer H&K's. There is nothing wrong with a Sig P220...but they don't fit my hands very well and the first one I bought shot so low that I got a very bad taste in my mouth for Sigs.

But, I've bought Sigs on impulse. And then sold them when I realized I really don't like them.

Top Bottom