• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    That's some cool stuff. I bought a wood lathe last year, still have yet to use it like I want to. I was planning on making small bats or attempt at bowls. Key word attempt.

Lathing is where I started. Cheap used thing. Ran it making harry potter wands for the kids until I blew the motor. They are a ton of fun and you learn a lot about what woods will and won't do. It's also hypnotic and relaxing (except when something breaks, lols).

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Yeah...I came in here to tell how I carved a neat wooden stopper from some old root wood I found for my buffalo horn powder horn...Then I saw what he made and just kind of went..."nah...."

Post Pics! I'd love to see it. Hand carving is something I want to do more of and I have never done a stopper.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Well, I just made some new cabinets and doors outta some wood... and some wood-like stuff(MDF)...

pVEd6mLl.jpg

bvnqwGfl.jpg

hrR9IqHl.jpg

KBGojdMl.jpg

The last couple days been wrestling with some store-bought oak butcher block for a new countertop...

853uEZLl.jpg

OMJgvn3l.jpg

Stain samples. I knew which one she'd pick, but she made me do it anyways...:rolleyes:

7ErDYfp.jpg

Clearcoat test...

s2uGePS.jpg

This was Watco's butcher block oil and finish. It says not to use it on top of any other product. I emailed and asked them if they really meant that. They assured me that if I applied it over my oil based stain, it would puddle on the surface, not absorb into the wood, and not dry. Turns out, they don't know jack.

There's nothing worse to do than cut HUGE 45s:rolleyes:...

66jevf8l.jpg

I'm no artist with a circular saw, so I stayed FAR away from my lines. Thinking that if I got lucky, I'd just cut the excess off the straight end. I didn't get lucky. So I screwed a perfectly straight board to the bottom side and carefully measured to produce an exact 45 degree angle. Then took my router with a large flush trim bit and cut along my straight edge. The result was still not acceptable to me. My perfectly straight board was a VERY soft piece of pine that had some knots in it. The bearing of my flush trim bit wore a slight groove in it where there were no knots, producing high and low spots which double when you put the two pieces together. So I clamped the two pieces face to face, averaged out the inconsistencies and belt sanded the hell out of them. It finally came out good...

VMxXY6el.jpg

zwr1gWVl.jpg

Coat #4 of the Watco is currently drying. I hope to get it installed after work. Then I'll untuck the back of my tee shirt, ditch my belt, and show the wife some plumber's crack while I put in the new sink and faucet.;)

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Finally...

nnUcNOl

nnUcNOlh.jpg

Next up will be the back splash. It's going to be made from old barn siding. Kinda weathered with lots of flaking, white, almost certainly lead based, paint. Great thing to have around food prep.;)

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Both are cool, but I need more on the second one. More pics or an explanation please - it looks really interesting!

I'm not in the same league as you guys, but I like to mess around with stuff. Here's a couple lamps I made recently.

qyvc46.jpg

2wmm82b.jpg

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    Both are cool, but I need more on the second one. More pics or an explanation please - it looks really interesting!

It's basically an electric version of the swedish torch. Pretty quick and easy but fun project. Here's a closer pic, this one is cedar, the red center really makes it look like fire.(I don't know why it keeps showing these sideways)
    5baeli.jpg

Last edited:

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    A selfbow made from a black locust stave I aquired in West Virginia. I got to talking to the manager of a state park about archery. Next thing you know we were in his home at the park then he insisted on me leaving with a stave out of his barn. Made the Flemish string also.

selfbow.jpg

selfbow2.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Great work! About all I can make out of wood with my limited skills is firewood, but I can finish it well.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Wow! Have you shot it?

A selfbow made from a black locust stave I aquired in West Virginia. I got to talking to the manager of a state park about archery. Next thing you know we were in his home at the park then he insisted on me leaving with a stave out of his barn. Made the Flemish string also.

selfbow.jpg

selfbow2.jpg

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Yes, it shoots good but came out at a lighter draw weight than I originally wanted at 45lbs. I was wanting 50lbs or a little more but I took more wood off the belly during tillering than I had hoped. I have another made out of osage.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Those look really nice. Do you dowel those together before gluing? Do you got a planner, or you taking those down by sanding? You got me wanting to dig around the garage to see what wood I might have laying around.

No dowel, just glue - so far so good on them holding up.

Tools wise, I got a used planer at auction and it makes all the difference in how fast I can make something.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    No dowel, just glue - so far so good on them holding up.

I used to dowel stuff. Then I got a biscuit joiner. It's life changing.:yesway:

I built this "stand up desk" for my kid's room at his frat house. They are prohibited from having "bars" in their rooms...;)

7yknyaQ.jpg

The wood was mostly rough sawn cottonwood. Which is nice because it's super light. I have a big pile of lumber like this in my barn that my dad and grandpa cut up back in the 60s. I don't think my grandpa EVER bought lumber. He had several acres of woods, and his dad had a sawmill.

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Having a sawmill is a whole nuther level of making stuff. Right now, converting log into block is 70% of every project's time.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Having a sawmill is a whole nuther level of making stuff. Right now, converting log into block is 70% of every project's time.

Yeah, wish the family would have held onto that. It was long gone before I was even born.:rolleyes:

Of course out of my grandpa and his 7 brothers, only one died with all 10 fingers.:laugh:

Top Bottom