• ...and so much more!
  • Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    Hello compatriots
    I have been using a very inexpensive wood lathe and having some success with it. I have only used soft wood so far. What I am wondering is can I use very hardwoods like Ash, Oak, Maple. If it can be done but takes a much better quality lathe than I have that will answer my question. Don't want to invest much more. Thanks for any input.

Morgan88

I am using a Chicago brand lathe. Made in China bought probably 15 or more years ago. My tools are a file with a point ground on one end:-) I also use a wood chisel for a tool. I know I know. Sounds like I need to either get my tools sharpened or invest in a few actual lathe tools. Thanks to all for the input. One more thing. Is it better to use dry wood or green?

As I make a lot of sauerkraut I am making some wooden tater/kraut smashers:-)

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    You can turn all kinds of wood with your lathe. I started out with a JET mini lathe, and I pushed that little thing to its limits. I have since upgraded to a Powermatic. It's true that a better quality lathe will be better, but you'll be amazed what you can do with smaller older lathes.

Sharp tools are a must. I make sure mine are sharp for every project. Also, I like carbide tools, especially the Easy Wood Tools.

FYI, I dabble a little bit in woodturning. I have made several pens, bowls, segmented bowls, clocks, and stools.

Soft woods, hard woods, turn away! Cherry is very easy, walnut can be harder to finish, oak CAN be brittle. Hard maple is, well, hard.

You'll learn fast, key is just to keep turning.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Best thing I ever did was to take a break from wood working and really learn how to sharpen my tools.

I still use mostly inexpensive chisels and plane irons, but it's made a big difference working with tools that are really sharp. (but my arm looks funny with those bald spots).

Top Bottom