• bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Oh so true!

Lessons learned in the per-suite of "Free-ish" heat
    The stoves are expensive. The flu materials are ridiculous expensive. The set up is a lot of work if you do it all yourself and if you pay to have it done oh boy.
    OK. Stove is set and safe.
    Now, wood. I have 3 saws. I used to have 4. I have a trailer to haul the wood. I have halves in a spliter. I have probably 4 ax's and 2 mals (sp). I was going to my sisters place and her hubby and I would pull downed trees out with "His" Kubota. Cut them down with the saws (fuel/blades/gloves and a lot of aspirin) then we split it and divided it. I would load it up. Drive the 35 miles back to my house and unload it. I built (2) lean too's this summer that hold 2 Ric's each. That is a lot of treated lumber/screws/tools/time/beer.

I have no freaking idea how much I have invested but when someone asks how I like my "Free" heat I want to punch them in the face.......:)
    This year the BIL decided his health was more important than "Free" wood so he is not dragging/cutting/splitting anymore. Last winter near killed us both.
    So now I am buying wood. I still use my truck to drive 20 miles out to buy it. I load it and do the drive/stack thing. I have 3 saws that are just sitting. 2 are 1 year old 55cc 20" bar units that throw chips. I have to say tha at near 65 years old the buying thing aint so bad.
    Free my Butt/.....:laugh6:

There is no such thing as free wood! Why does everyone think that because I have years of wood on hand, I should give them some?
    I have a pacific energy vista insert that burns 2-3 cords a year and heats almost 1800sq feet. Its rated for 1200sq ft and is more than adequate for my downstairs. Upstairs stays a little cool unless I shut some doors or run a space heater.

Now for the "free" part...Here's my cost to get in the wood burning game:

1. Stove w/ install and 25ft stainless liner:$4000
    2.Stihl saws:

066-$400 used
    361-$600 new
    192t-$150 used

3. splitter $1000
    4.axes $100
    5. 2 stroke fuel $6/gallon after mixing it w/ good oil
    6. splitter gas-$3/gal which lasts about 4 hours.
    7. trailer $700
    8. Truck-already had it so I will let this roll off as "free" although we all know better
    9. gloves-$20/year
    10. t-posts for stacking:$50
    11. wheelbarrow to move wood $100
    12. beer $17/case. Only lasts a weekend
    13.Truck fuel-depends on distance travelled
    14:sooteater for cleaning chimney $75
    15: misc tools(pokers, rack for inside, shovel, etc) $100
    16. Peavey to roll logs $65
    17. Case of files $50
    18. spare chains $100
    19. spare bars/longer bars $200

I'm sure there is much more but just this adds up to $7736! Free wood my azz.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There is no such thing as free wood! Why does everyone think that because I have years of wood on hand, I should give them some?
    I have a pacific energy vista insert that burns 2-3 cords a year and heats almost 1800sq feet. Its rated for 1200sq ft and is more than adequate for my downstairs. Upstairs stays a little cool unless I shut some doors or run a space heater.

Now for the "free" part...Here's my cost to get in the wood burning game:

1. Stove w/ install and 25ft stainless liner:$4000
    2.Stihl saws:

066-$400 used
    361-$600 new
    192t-$150 used

3. splitter $1000
    4.axes $100
    5. 2 stroke fuel $6/gallon after mixing it w/ good oil
    6. splitter gas-$3/gal which lasts about 4 hours.
    7. trailer $700
    8. Truck-already had it so I will let this roll off as "free" although we all know better
    9. gloves-$20/year
    10. t-posts for stacking:$50
    11. wheelbarrow to move wood $100
    12. beer $17/case. Only lasts a weekend
    13.Truck fuel-depends on distance travelled
    14:sooteater for cleaning chimney $75
    15: misc tools(pokers, rack for inside, shovel, etc) $100
    16. Peavey to roll logs $65
    17. Case of files $50
    18. spare chains $100
    19. spare bars/longer bars $200

I'm sure there is much more but just this adds up to $7736! Free wood my azz.

IKNOWRIGHT......................:rofl:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Quadfire 5500 heats the entire 3200 foot home to whatever temperature we want. Fan forced air top and bottom level, separate from the furnace duct work. I live in the woods so I don't have to go far to get fuel.:)

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I burn wood, we are entering our 5th winter burning in this house (first winter didn't have a stove/fireplace yet).

Did it cost a lot? Yes, absolutely. I did ALL the install myself, the tile-work, drywall work, everything. I will try to post up a picture later. I have a zero-clearance fireplace from Kozyheat. Modern, EPA rated, high-efficiency. I heat a 4,000 sf house with it. I cannot heat the whole house to 70 plus, the basement stays a bit cooler and I only heat the rooms/areas we use. I also heat the garage a little by leaving the door from the house to the garage open (full-height screen door remain closed). I've burned as little as 2-1/2 cords in '11/'12 and as much as 4 cords last winter.

My stove paid for itself the 2nd winter. My cost was $4200 - 30% tax credit... that tax credit really helped...

That being said, the economics of burning will be different for every person. Do you already own a truck? Chainsaw? Splitting device that you are capable of using? Do you have access to a place to cut wood? Do you have time to do those things?

For me, I already had a junker truck, I already had a small chainsaw. Things I've picked up just for the purpose of burning wood, larger chainsaw (64 cc pro-saw for $230), Fiskar super splitter splitting axe ($40), and just recently a hydraulic splitter that needs a little work (Free).

Is my wood free? Absolutely not. I use a couple gallons of gas every year in the saws, plus bar oil, I would say saw maintenance costs + fuel total about $30/year. I have to put gas in my truck. Luckily my best wood cutting place so far is only 2 miles down the road; I've developed a close relationship with a guy that I never would have met if it wasn't for cutting wood at his place. My splitting axe doesn't cost anything to run, but a hydraulic would likely cost about $20 in fuel to split a years worth of wood. Throw another $20/yr in fuel for the truck... my wood is pretty cheap excluding my time.

But for others that may not be the case. If you have to buy a saw, splitter, truck, etc just to burn wood then you may be better off paying for wood. Wood is extremely cheap in rural areas of Indiana. Compare our wood prices to those of metro areas in the NE etc and you will see that buying wood is cheap here. As a matter of fact, I've often considered just buying my wood. But cutting wood is therapeutic to me and I enjoy doing it. Someday I'll take my kids and they can help; and learn valuable lessons too...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Quadrafire insert here. REALLY cuts down on the NG furnace bill. And, for now, I enjoy the work.
    attachment.php

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I burn LOTS of wood. Outdoor boiler heats 2500 square feet of living space, hot water, and keeps my 26X32 garage at 45 degrees.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Old GM' just keep on rolling.
    They get a bit rusty but Meh......who cares.

I paid more for my saw than for that truck.:D

It's a half ton that some kid put crazy rear springs on when he lifted it. I can pile wood over the top of the cab, front to back and it barely squats at all. Someday, that poor 12 bolt rear end is gonna implode.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    But cutting wood is therapeutic to me and I enjoy doing it. Someday I'll take my kids and they can help; and learn valuable lessons too...

Yes, doing all it takes to heat with wood is worth it to some, not so much to others. And I agree that for me also, cutting and splitting is therapeutic. There's not much better quality time than for my son and I to take down a tree, cut it up, and haul it to the house. Now that he's grown, and more capable than me, I love watching him work, using the big saw like it's nothing, and hossing the big stump chunks into the trailer. I do the splitting by hand a bit at a time when I have time. But in my mind, it's best when you enjoy the process and the feeling of self-sufficiency, knowing you'll at least have heat even if the power goes out for the whole winter.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Yes, doing all it takes to heat with wood is worth it to some, not so much to others. And I agree that for me also, cutting and splitting is therapeutic. There's not much better quality time than for my son and I to take down a tree, cut it up, and haul it to the house. Now that he's grown, and more capable than me, I love watching him work, using the big saw like it's nothing, and hossing the big stump chunks into the trailer. I do the splitting by hand a bit at a time when I have time. But in my mind, it's best when you enjoy the process and the feeling of self-sufficiency, knowing you'll at least have heat even if the power goes out for the whole winter.

I burn wood in self-defense. Otherwise the forest takes over. One year I got lazy and didn't keep up with the slab wood and the bonfire from the slabwood pile from the mill was 12' tall and threw flames above the treetops.

My firewood, while not free, is as close to free as you can get because I own saws and the like anyway, and I don't have to haul it in a truck. Just like hunting: if I had to buy a license, buy a gun, lease a place to hunt, drive there and back, buy all the clothing and gear, then pay to have it processed it would never make economic sense. When I can walk a few feet from the back door and shoot a deer with a gun I would have anyway and then process it that night myself then it is pretty cheap meat.

The big advantage to wood heating where you gather it yourself is that no one else can jack the price up on you and you can store several years worth of fuel pretty readily.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    I don't mind the work or investment. I REALLY don't mind the savings! I hated spending $1500 every winter, just to heat my home.

I like the idea that I can heat my home without power/propane, if the need ever arises! (Civil unrest, zombies, EMP, choose your poison!)

I don't have near the money invested in burning that some of you do, which causes my beer costs to skyrocket, but keeps the tool costs down, and my back sore!

Here's the BIS 2.0, glowin away!
    101_0041_zps7eb4cbf3.jpg

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    I've used a woodstove to heat my 1800 Sq ft home for 35 years. I burn about 8 rick a year (4 cords). I used a homelite professional chainsaw that I purchased in 1978 for $299. It fell of the roof last year and I purchased a $300 Stihl 361 like new. I hope it last 30 years also. I cut all my own wood on my property. I split by hand until last year when I purchased a $400 wood splitter that needed a carburetor overhaul. It had been used one season to split 4 rick of wood then stored with gas in tank. My wood isn't free but I calculate my wood cost at about $10/rick amortizing my equipment. I'm 65 years young and it keeps me fit and has the added benefit of enjoying the woods.

My current stove is a Jotul Oslo which I purchased new 5 years ago for $1000 from a dealer going out of business. I calculate it will be my last stove. Add about $75/year stove cost and you can see that wood heat is economical. One cannot count labor as it is a labor of love. I will always heat with wood if able. My neighbor has the same size house as mine and his heating bills are already hitting $600/month. When the grandkids leave the door open, I don't even get excited. Good burning!

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    th

I've got one of those in my house. Lopi Endeavor, 72,400 btu/hour, 2.2 cubic foot firebox. With double wall chimney pipe, the clearance is less than 12 inches to the drywall.

Had it for three years and heat about 1700 square feet with it.

We have one of the Lopi Endeavors as well. I've owned quite a few stoves in my day and this is one of the best I've ever put wood in. Great stove. And ya the low clearance is awesome too.

Make that 3 Lopi Endeavors... Just put ours in this fall, haven't turned the furnace on yet on about 1800sqft. It's going through the wood, but I think the wife needs to stop loading it up so often.. the living room is at a steady 80 degrees..

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Woodstove.
    The Fireplace Center in Bloomington is who I bought my stove from. I have nothing but good things to say about them. They treated me MORE than right.

Just one example: when I went to pick my stove up I was 2nd guessing that I had ordered/paid for enough pipe so I jumped from an 18" up to a 24" just to make sure I had enough. It was about $40 difference. The didn't want to mess with writing up a bill for the extra so he said, "don't worry about it". I went out back to pick it up and they didn't have 24", only 36". He jumped me up to 36" with once again, no extra charge... I made it clear that I had only paid for an 18" and they were basically giving me 18" of free pipe. They thanked me for my business and told me to come back next time I needed something...

I would look into them if you want an honest company. I have no idea what their installs are like so I can't say much to that. But if it's anything like they conduct business in their store it's top-notch.

Top Bottom