• ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    A week or so ago we had a basic basic basic woodland survival class
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...78983-south_indy_training_day_march_27th.html

(pics on page 2)

We went over basic gear and basic land nav.

There has been some intrest in doing an overnight class that is more of a formal class on pricate wooded land or something in the central Indiana area ish.

We would go over shelter building, food rationing, water collection, fire building (need to find an area that allows this), hand's on everything including land nav... all sort's of stuff.

The goal would be to at the very least have people go out and do some land nav in the wood's on their own, build their own shelter's ect ect.

We should also be able to get into what to do to make it easier for searchers to find you or for you to find a friend or family member that you became sperated from.

E5Ranger375 and I will be doing this.

My background,

3 seperate National Woodland SAR school's, past team leader, VHF/UHF/HF radio comm classes, not long ago I was in charge of all woodland SAR operations for central Indiana (for the national SAR organization that I was with that does nearly all of inland SAR mission's in the US), back in 01-02 I was one of the Woodland SAR instructor's for all of Oklahoma (for the SAR organization I was with), many real life mission's and or training exercises under my belt (to many to count).

I think everyone know's Ranger's background but he can post it up if he want's to.

We would also like to do it in an area that family can come and stay in tent's and not have to ruff it as much.

Post if you would be interested in this from a Friday to Saturday and what you woul want to learn.

This class would be very good for those that are serious camper's and hike off the trail's.

Ranger and I are going to try and get together soon and get some stuff put in stone on what we want to teach and welcome your thought's and ideas.

Ranger and I reserve the right to deny any training that we choose, in other word's if you ask to learn about a particular subject it is our choice on if we are willing to teach it or not.

The below is also added in a below post but I will put it here also,

Breif description of class topic's.

Shelter building, how to build one from scratch or using a poncho, what area's to build a shelter and the area's not to build a shelter.

Land Nav, compass reading, how to shoot an azimuth, how to oreintate the map and how to read one, how to tracel and back track using a compass

Clothing, what work's, what does not.

Gear, what to pack and not pack and what you can ditch if you have to, how to pack light and everything for different pack's, 24hr/72hr/beyond.

Food, what is worth having, what you should not have

Fires, how to build them, what wood to look for, how to keep them going again if it look's like the fire is out.

Survival, how to survive, how to make it easier for search team's to find you

Small game, traping, havesting, cooking (again if you have some adult rabbit's that you can dontate please PM E5Ranger375)

Basic first aid practices (spint making, stretcher making, basic injury treatment).

Last edited:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Thanks Tactical Dave!!!

folks, this is a must if you ever go camping, hunting, hiking, etc. this training will save your life. anyone can get lost in the woods. it is easier than you think. you ad to that an injury (even if you know where you are) and you can quickly expire within minutes to hours if your not in the game, and up on training. THIS TRAINING IS ADVANCED but SO SIMPLE TO LEARN. basicly what i mean is, ANYONE from a kid to the oldest adult can learn everything we will be teaching but its not stuff everyone knows (unfortunatly). Tactical Dave and I are VERY laid back guys in life. we arent overbearing instructors. this will be a structured class, but have plenty of time to work one on one with students to make sure you grasp the training. this is meant to be fun and informative, not painfull. everyone will feel welcome and comfortible. Please bring the family out, this will be a FAMILY FRIENDLY event.

bring any gear you already have, and we will help you prioritise and pack it, or even teach you uses for it you might not have known about. Thanks everyone.

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    I do not have any contacts up there. So I can't direct you to anyone with property. But, I would LOVE to be apart of the next training session. I guess I will check this post periodically to see where and what's going on, unless someone will contact me directly.

Thanks, and I look forward to getting out there.

Doug

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    All's I ask with this thread is try and keep it on subject so it is easier for everyone to read.

I am laid back but like Ranger I take a few subjects very seriously because they are more life and death then other subjects. It will be a family deal but we want it to be a rather structured class.... so less of a meet and great but I beleive in breaks and free time and stuff when it comes to the family type training.

Bring what you have but if you want a list of good stuff let us know.

For those that want to do this fell free to post up dates that work great for you and we will see what works for everyone.

I have some extra gear as of now that I can let someone borrow for the two day's.... I have a spare cammel back, canteen's, web gear and some other stuff.

Even if you have a good grasp on this stuff and are a former 11B or Ranger or Boy Scout whatever feel free to come out, you still might learn something or be able to help a fellow student.

If the area allows gun's then we have no problem with the but will have a saftey meeting on it and other issues that may come up.

Last edited:

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    Schedule permitting, I'm in!

I like hiking & backpacking & things like Hoosier Nat'l Forest and Great Smoky Mountains National Park...

:patriot:

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    I have a small group of guys with (some) of their kids that we wanted to go out as a group and camp as an activity. (most of the wives don't like tent camping).
    If we could join this kind of training as a group, it would be a great event.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    You can count me in, haven't done any land nav for years. Not sure what I'd still remember if I ever needed it. Don't think I even know where my compass and map case are anymore. Always up for a reason to buy more toys.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I'd like to attend as long as it is held on a Fri-Sat . , those days are my weekend .

I haven't practiced land nav in years and could use some shelter building practice .

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It sounds like you guys have sparked a little more interest. I am in as well. I think sometime in mid to late May would work well and give people ample time to plan. Dave and Ranger can set a more specific date. I will help any way I can with planning.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    It sounds like you guys have sparked a little more interest. I am in as well. I think sometime in mid to late May would work well and give people ample time to plan. Dave and Ranger can set a more specific date. I will help any way I can with planning.

We hope to know on a date/location tomorrow maybe...

It may be a Friday night into Sunday thing so that it would be easier for people to come.... so you could come for one day or all but still be able to get the training.

I think May is good also.

Top Bottom