Woods Carry, Anybody carry survival gear during hunting season?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States
    I don't like going out shooting without an Israeli trauma bandage. If you don't know what that is, go look it up. Israel saw a 50% reduction of battlefield deaths when they started using it. Best $1 you'll ever spend for shooting accidents. Weighs nothing.
    lost

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    No, but help is 10 min away max and others know where i am and when i should be back. They will come looking if i am late.

if not inthat situation, i woud take some things just in case.

I like this. It's about finding a practical balance for you and your circumstances.
    and ALWAYS let people know where you'll be and about when you should return

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I take my firearm and ammo for whatever I am hunting, a good knife, a snack bar, and a bottle of water. I hunt about an 80 acre patch of woods and have since I was 13. I know the entire patch like the back of my hand. I always leave a note for my wife, and text my Dad and brother where I will be hunting since they hunt the same area. If I was hunting somewhere new I would take more gear, but if you are like me I don't think you need the extra survival gear.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't like going out shooting without an Israeli trauma bandage. If you don't know what that is, go look it up. Israel saw a 50% reduction of battlefield deaths when they started using it. Best $1 you'll ever spend for shooting accidents. Weighs nothing.
    lost

Don't forget to learn how to use it and practice until you can apply one with one hand (because you may have to do it that way).

prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States
    They are expensive. Good catch on that price for Israeli bandage. they are $5 not $1. I got 5 off Ebay for $25 including shipping. The best $5 I hope you never have to use. I gave 3 to friends who are gunners and feel very good about myself.
    Be safe out there,
    Lost

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Me and dad don't carry a whole lot, we hunt in close proximity to our vehicle and a camper we stay in overnight the night before... neighbor is a 15 minute walk away, 30 from the back of our property (38 acres, narrow)

However, between us we normally have... (trying to think)
    Cell phones (both)
    2-way radios (both)
    Various knives (gutting and normal pocket knife normally) both
    Handgun for two-legged or 4-legged varmints (both)
    Lighters/matches/firestarter (both, and at least one in waterproof container)
    compass (both)
    emergency strobe (dad)
    space blanket (both)
    handwarmers (both)
    rags/plastic bags/rubber gloves for field dressing or whatever (both)
    Rain gear (dad sometimes, he used to be a lot more hardcore about hunting)

Flares? (dad used to, not sure anymore)
    extra hats/gloves/etc depending on weather (light and heavy)
    extra TP
    water/snacks (usually an apple or such)

And we never hunt alone. If one of us isn't feeling good, they stay in the camper while the other hunts, 2 people always out there.
    Mom always knows about when to expect us back, and where to go and who to call if we don't check in if we'll be late. (Dad has a couple times when him and his hunting buddy before me had to track late)

Camper has a better stocked first aid kit, food, our extra clothes, etc.

If we hunted further away from everything, or hunted alone, I'm sure we'd carry more.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Yep. I carry a backpack with an MRE, extra water, fire starters, an emergency blanket, a whistle, chemical hand warmers, a small mirror, extra socks, cheap small pancho, a few candy bars, and a few other things.

Oh, and I concealed carry a Ruger SR9 with an extra mag or two. You know, in case a Deliverance-style romantic proposition might occur. ;)

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    They are expensive.

More than $1 but not prohibitive. I get mine from Amazon and have never bothered to look anywhere else, so thought I would ask.

Had a guy slide down a rock face during a goat hunt this summer. He used up the ones I brought and I could do with resupply.

I'm with you that they work like little else.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I got lost on a squirrel hunt in Harrison County Forestry when I was 19 yrs old...Was gone for the day, came out 6 miles from where I went in...I was dehydrated, tired, and shakey....

I always have a few survival basics with me even if I am just stepping out back to shoot a few bushytails....Once on a solo fly fishing trip wading the small horseshoe above Abrahms Falls in the Smokies I thought I was going to have to spend the night because I misjiudged time and how long it would take me to wade the little horseshoe...I always have an Altoids can survival kit with me when I fish as well....

Top Bottom