• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I haven’t hung it yet, still working on the other millwork around the fireplace. Here it is finished and ready to hang:

m1AaFOZ.jpg

jGIxs6f.jpg

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Those old beams are fascinating. Nice work.

Before you found someone to cut them, at 6.5” a table saw couldn’t have cut them? Even if you had to flip it to finish the cut?

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Those old beams are fascinating. Nice work.

Before you found someone to cut them, at 6.5” a table saw couldn’t have cut them? Even if you had to flip it to finish the cut?

As it sits in the photos, the top side is 6.5" and the sides are 8". I will cut what's left of the beam into one 16" piece, then I want to rip it so that my slabs are about 1" x 8" x 16".

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    There is a place call Wood Gallery @woodgalleryindy (found on Facebook), that had a workshop on the southside, but it is closed and they are building something in the Meridian-Kessler area.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Man that is awesome. Love the grain in the old cut timbers, you just don't find that kind of wood now days!

I am curious......how did you attach that to the wall? I am sure it is pretty heavy huh? Great job man....just looks amazing!

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Man that is awesome. Love the grain in the old cut timbers, you just don't find that kind of wood now days!

I am curious......how did you attach that to the wall? I am sure it is pretty heavy huh? Great job man....just looks amazing!

I cut a 2x8 as a pattern the same length as the beam. I located and marked the studs in the wall, then marked the pattern board with the stud locations and drilled holes there. Then I put the pattern board up to the wall and drilled pilot holes in the wall through the holes in the pattern board. In the wall I had 5 studs to use. I screwed 10” x 1/2” lag bolts into the studs so there were 6” protruding from the wall, and cut off the heads. Then I put the pattern board against the beam and drilled into the beam through the holes in the pattern board. The beam holes slid right over the headless bolts. It’s basically a huge floating shelf, and yeah it’s heavy, I estimate it at around 100#.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I cut a 2x8 as a pattern the same length as the beam. I located and marked the studs in the wall, then marked the pattern board with the stud locations and drilled holes there. Then I put the pattern board up to the wall and drilled pilot holes in the wall through the holes in the pattern board. In the wall I had 5 studs to use. I screwed 10” x 1/2” lag bolts into the studs so there were 6” protruding from the wall, and cut off the heads. Then I put the pattern board against the beam and drilled into the beam through the holes in the pattern board. The beam holes slid right over the headless bolts. It’s basically a huge floating shelf, and yeah it’s heavy, I estimate it at around 100#.

Man, that is awesome. People would have no idea how it is attached....good job my friend and thanks for sharing that. It sure looks good.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Thank you.

yeah it is impossible to know how it’s attached unless you saw me put it up. I was going to fill the holes with adhesive but the friction of the bolts in the holes is pretty high, so it ain’t going anywhere. It won’t slide off by pulling, you will need to pry on it some to get it started moving.

Top Bottom