• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    LOL, after 32 years of NOT having this gun (my Ruger MK l) in my possession, and just recently getting it back, I decided I needed to tear it down and give it a good inspection and cleaning. So last night I did. And after cleaning it, I then recalled just what a PITA these can be to reassemble and get the hammer to function correctly.

Mine is one of the few that comes apart fairly easily. I know some folks have to use hammers to break them apart and to put them back together.

Well, after 40 minutes of trying over and over, I finally got the trigger, hammer, and bolt to all work properly. THe final trick I tried, was once the pin was inserted through the bolt, I kept the trigger engaged, magazine inserted, and then i pulled the bolt back slightly, then locked the back arm. That trick seemed to do it.

I know I can order a Speed Strip kit. And I still may. (I definitely will when I get a newer MK lll), but the l's are a bit easier to work with.

The last time I tore this exact gun down was in 1980 for a good cleaning. Then I sold it to my brother. Not once over the past 32 years, has he ever field stripped it. The gun has 10's of thousands of rounds through it. I was amazed at how little crud there was in it. And no rust anywhere.

I do love taking this thing to the range and doing some plinking with it. In fact, I plan on shooting a couple of hundred rounds this weekend. Someday my son will be taking his kids out to shoot with it.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If man was ment to clean and reasemble a markI or mark II pistol we would have been born with 3 arms.

Once you do it about 30 times then it gets easy, Sometimes you still have to move your tongue just right to get it to go back together right,

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have owned, a Mk I, (Std. Model) since I bought it new, in 1977, and I have never had a problem, with this gun.... I was in AD USMC, for 4 years, and when I got home, one of the first things I did, was to disassemble, clean and re assy, and then go shoot this sweet little gun .....

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    It's all about where the hammer is when you try to put the pin back in.
    Make sure the hammer is forward and everything goes together as smooth as a billiard ball.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have owned, a Mk I, (Std. Model) since I bought it new, in 1977, and I have never had a problem, with this gun.... I was in AD USMC, for 4 years, and when I got home, one of the first things I did, was to disassemble, clean and re assy, and then go shoot this sweet little gun .....

This is the same gun, but bought in 1978. I expect it to long outlast me.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    At some point in the reassembly you turn the pistol upside down...and the pins goes in place...Youtube will show you.I will never forget the hours of frustration as a teenager....

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If man was ment to clean and reasemble a markI or mark II pistol we would have been born with 3 arms.

Once you do it about 30 times then it gets easy, Sometimes you still have to move your tongue just right to get it to go back together right,

Should be easy 2nd try IMHO.
    MK3's are a bit annoying due to mag safety crap.
    I've seen folks mess up assembly on some 22/45 MK3's and jam them up pretty bad. Wiggle for about 2 mins and they pop free.

JoP

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    i clean my two MARK II without taking them apart

I have a Mark II that my dad bought back before I was born...I don't think that it has ever been taken apart and it still shoots like a dream...even with ten year old rounds.

I know she needs a good scrubbing, but I tend to neglect her these days anyhow.

Top Bottom