• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Here's my dilema:

Work bans firearms on the grounds. The only exception is INSIDE your personal vehicle. I have issue with this, but I can be content-ish locking mine inside a locked compartment, inside my locked and alarmed vehicle.

Issue comes when I ride my motorcycle to work. I tend to ride any day that is above 50 degrees and less than 40% chance of rain, so even in Indiana this can be quite frequent.

I can carry TO work, but there is no way I would leave my handgun in my bike, let alone it even fit (sportbike). So what would you do?

Chance it and carry to work, dump in bookbag and "hide" it while at work? Or choose to NOT carry to/from work?

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Here's my dilema:

Work bans firearms on the grounds. The only exception is INSIDE your personal vehicle. I have issue with this, but I can be content-ish locking mine inside a locked compartment, inside my locked and alarmed vehicle.

Issue comes when I ride my motorcycle to work. I tend to ride any day that is above 50 degrees and less than 40% chance of rain, so even in Indiana this can be quite frequent.

I can carry TO work, but there is no way I would leave my handgun in my bike, let alone it even fit (sportbike). So what would you do?

Chance it and carry to work, dump in bookbag and "hide" it while at work? Or choose to NOT carry to/from work?

Sounds like your choice is to drive your car or not carry that day.
    Jobs are hard to find, I wouldn't chance it. Just my 2 cents.

GMtoblat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Crane
    If your work has enough people that carry you could try having them install lock boxes for you to use. My work has done that but for cell phones.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Buy a Goldwing. Lots of lockable compartments, big enough to be theft resistant, and you'll be able to ride in temps well under 50 degrees and be comfy.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Have to agree that your options are to either drive your car to work or come up with some type of lockable case for the bike. Not sure the case on the bike is a great option though. Nothing is completely secure and people will see you take the gun off.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    You probably can't carpool with 3 other people riding on the back of your bike either. Or stop on the way home and pick up a weeks worth of groceries. Lifestyle decisions affect much more than just carrying a firearm.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    how well do you conceal? If you have a small enough gun (j-frame, Kahr cm-9...) and a good way to conceal you could just carry while at work. I carried almost every day in school under scrubs with a j-frame or my cm-9 in a belly band. There were a few days I couldn't because of rotations in certain places but other than that...No one knew and no one ever would unless I needed to use it.

koutsevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    San Pierre, IN
    You probably can't carpool with 3 other people riding on the back of your bike either. Or stop on the way home and pick up a weeks worth of groceries. Lifestyle decisions affect much more than just carrying a firearm.

Car pooling three people really can't be done on two wheels. Almost everything else can. I can carry a weeks worth of groceries, or a months worth of laundry on my bike. Riding a bike is a way of life, just like carrying a gun. You adapt to your environment and do what you can. I carry a duffle bag with a change of clothes to work. Stays in a locked locker while I work.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The posts saying you have two options--don't carry or drive the car--are wrong. You have a third. But every decision comes with a consequence. And you're asking us to pick a decision for which you will be the only one bearing the brunt of that consequence. So here goes:

The options with a reasonably likely "worst case" consequence (note that reasonably likelihood isn't an evaluation of overall likelihood)
    1. Don't carry. And that's the day you need it. Maybe you can fend off the criminal element without a firearm. Maybe you can't.

2. Drive the car. You don't get to enjoy the bike.

3. Carry. You get caught and fired.

Since I don't have to worry about the consequences, I think you should carry. You know what they say, better to be fired than to be buried.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Option 4

Work bans firearms on the grounds. The only exception is INSIDE your personal vehicle...

Issue comes when I ride my motorcycle to work...

4) Ask your employer for an exception/alternative. Locked in a secure case which only you have the key to that is kept in an area they (and you) are comfortable with that has some supervision.

Trouble with this option is if they say No you have pretty well ruled out option 3 above because they will assume you are simply concealing and will be watching really closely. Once you print, reach to an upper shelf for something, etc. you will be fired.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I would take the car or plan on not getting shot the days I ride the bike. There are many unemployed people out there competing for fewer good jobs. Unless I was highly skilled and sought-after in my field (any head hunters solicit you lately?) or didn't mind flipping burgers, I would not take the risk. YMMV.

TeddyBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2013
    No Where Special, NW IN

You must be a sport bike \ Harley rider..........or not even own a bike at all. those of us that ride weather permitting 30degrees or warmer can do much more than you could imagine !!!!

When you join our lifestyle you can make comments like you already have. but until then YOU DON'T KNOW JACK SH*T about our LIFESTYLE !!!!!

n WHO cares bout car pooling besides Tree Huggers??????

​my .02 (i'm not sorry if i've offended you Jack)

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Buy a Goldwing. Lots of lockable compartments, big enough to be theft resistant, and you'll be able to ride in temps well under 50 degrees and be comfy.

But then he has to ride a Goldwing. At that point he might as well just give up and buy a Buick.

n WHO cares bout car pooling besides Tree Huggers??????

Car pooling can save a lot of money. One needn't be a member of Earth First to recognize that it has its benefits.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I agree with Jennifer/88GT, probably for the first time in history. You have some possible courses of action and potential consequences. You get the freedom to choose one and live with it. We are not going to be much help.

TeddyBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2013
    No Where Special, NW IN
    Car pooling can save a lot of money. One needn't be a member of Earth First to recognize that it has its benefits.[/QUOTE]

yes i won't argure with it saves money.... i for one will not car pool if i have a choice. its one thing that i car pool at work. then again we all have to ride in same truck to n from the Job site. as far as from home to work its 2 wheels or 4 weather permitting..

bike gets 37mpg work car gets 27mpg truck gets 12mpg (i've saved myself $200 a month for buying the work car)

i feel i save myself TONS of money driving MPG freindly's

as i tell guys at work when they complain bout Gas prices. " MOVE CLOSER !!" he has a 60mile one way trip each day 120 total

Top Bottom