Work self evaluation time, I forgot how much it sucks.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    They did ask me once during an eval if there was anything I needed. Told them I wanted my name tag changed on my uniforms to "Don the Magnificent"...............They said no...........

Don

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    The few places that did evals were bigger companys that micro-managed everybody.

The people that usually did these had zero idea what we actually did in the field to make sure they got paid. Overhead versus earner.
    They did not like doing my eval.
    After driving into the shop and loosing a few hours pay...….
    Them.....You do not seem happy that we are here right now.
    Me.....I am not. I get paid by the billable invoice hours. This has cost me a minimum of 3 hours and put me behind with my customers for the day

Them....Well we have to evaluate you as an employee.
    Me.....That should be easy. Look at my billable hours/customer requests for me to do the work and parts/equipment sales. Low to no call backs and I have not wrecked your truck.

Them....Well there is more to this than just those numbers.
    Me.....What else is there. I am the company when I speak with customers. It is me they want to see not you.

Them....Uh
    Me....I need to get back to work OK.

About 20 years ago when I worked on the road it was eval time and our Service Manager was behind. Management made him go out in the field and do them, economy was booming and we were very busy.

I was maintain a fleet of 120 pieces of equipment at a major auto parts manufacturer. Wednesday was their busiest shipping day, think "just in time" trucking.

The customer would allow 1.5 % downtime annually, over 6 years we had a .02% average, they were happy with me.

He tried to do my review while I was working so I took him to their shipping dock. It was all he could do to keep from being run over. When it was all done our General Manager told him to leave me alone with numbers like that.

Don

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Goal: Survive.

Then when they ask you next year if you met your goal you can smack them and say "did that feel like a ghost?"

I like it! Simple.

In my field (sales), they put so many metrics to measure outcomes on a job where I have maybe a 10% influence over that annual reviews are nothing more than an exercise in creative writing.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I once told my boss to tell the branch manager that if he couldn't afford anything more than the pittance of a raise they were offering, he should keep it, as he probably needed it more than I did. Branch manager blew up. LOL

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Finish evals/reviews last month. Wrapping up goals this month.

For my team, the HR process is more of a formality. No big deal to fill out the virtual paperwork.

The difference, I think, is that we all talk, all the time. We know our priorities. We know what the business expects of us. We are all coached, and receive feedback, very routinely. Heck, I meet with each person on my team weekly 1-on-1, and we have a weekly team call. By the time we get to "review time", there are NO surprises. You can basically copy/paste from various meeting notes. No such thing as a bad review, as I've coached you or canned you, well before review time.

This once a year feedback thing blows my mind. I've done it in the past, and it SUCKED.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Finish evals/reviews last month. Wrapping up goals this month.

For my team, the HR process is more of a formality. No big deal to fill out the virtual paperwork.

The difference, I think, is that we all talk, all the time. We know our priorities. We know what the business expects of us. We are all coached, and receive feedback, very routinely. Heck, I meet with each person on my team weekly 1-on-1, and we have a weekly team call. By the time we get to "review time", there are NO surprises. You can basically copy/paste from various meeting notes. No such thing as a bad review, as I've coached you or canned you, well before review time.

This once a year feedback thing blows my mind. I've done it in the past, and it SUCKED.

This is my situation also. That's why I think they are sorta of a waste of time. I usually end up talking to my manager for about an hour and half of that is talking about anything other than the evaluation.:)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I once told my boss to tell the branch manager that if he couldn't afford anything more than the pittance of a raise they were offering, he should keep it, as he probably needed it more than I did. Branch manager blew up. LOL

I have left 2 company's for this very reason.
    Way too easy to track my performance and profit. Don't tell me you can not afford the raise I asked for.

Crazy thing is both managers called me at home the night I quit and said they would give me the raise and I just said no thanks. Way too easy to find work in my trade. If that field was slow someone had some race car work. Or some fab work of some kind. Or a room addition. There is always some work to be found.
    Never put all your eggs in the same basket.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Our APR's start in November and wind up in early January. It seems our HR dept. forgot to get anything out so no reviews this year. Our reviews are never tied to a raise either. My boss has always told me if you are surprised by the review I gave you then I (meaning my boss) failed.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom