• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deviljunkie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Grandview
    So when i originally worked a load for my 243 i did it with the bullet jammed into the lands pretty good. I was reading my calipers wrong. Still, it shot good enoungh and carried on. When i finally figured out my mistake i had a few rounds made up and went ahead and seated them to the correct length. They shoot better now. My? Is this. Should i work up my load again to doublecheck myself?

243 win. 42.5gr Imr4350
    Sierra 85 gr hpbt gk
    Federal primers
    Coal. 2.615

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    This is strictly speculation on my part, but I'm guessing that having the bullet seated just short of the lands keeps things more consistent.
    It's good thing for you that you didn't have the old loads jammed into the lands up near max, because things could have gone very badly if they had been.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Is that charge weight very near maximum? Are you very satisfied with the current accuracy? If the answers are no and yes, I would load up more of the same and practice at longer distances, if possible.

Indyfishyak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Agree, if the results are what you want and no pressure issues, stick with it. On a side note, and I know that you are not shooting Bergers, but you reference being in the lands. In the Berger reloading manual the talk about accuracy bands of .030 and 0.040 wide. The suggested when working on a load starting at the lands and loading in 0.030 incriminates about to 0.110 jump. I found this interesting because you hear a lot that accuracy can come being in the lands or a few thousands off. So here is where Sierra comes in in my .308 rem 700 due to mag length I am jumping .080 and that gun shoots a 168 SMK with sub 1/2" accuracy for a factory rifle. So back to your question is you have to decide if you are happy with the results as every gun is different.

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    If you are happy with the accuracy keep it.
    I load all my loads to book cardtrige ovearall lenght and most shoot moa or better. Would they shoot better with the bullet closer to the rifling, maybe, but I am not a benchrest shooter so moa or better is good for me.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom