• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Some years ago I picked up this C.S. Shattuck American Side Snap 12 ga shotgun. All the springs were either broken, rusted, or missing. Someone left a note under the butt plate saying basically he had only oiled the stock. The stock is in poor shape too. Lots of cracks and this cute little brass strap repair with 4 tiny brass screws set into one side. When I repair the stock I will reinstall it cause it’s cute.

The hammer spring is broken in half and I found a replacement on EBay. I will need to make the lever spring. I cut and fit a coil spring for the firing pin.

I have all screws except one removed. I picked up an impact hammer for the big screw that held the receiver to the barrel but need a little one for this screw that holds the ejector in.

I am both going to restore it and bring it to working order. When I test it I will use 2 1/2 black powder shells.

This will be some training restoration. When I am done it still won’t be worth much.
    IMG_0716.jpeg

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Good stuff and a great way to learn stuff like this. Not much money invested and if you totally mess something up, not a huge loss in history or money. Looking forward to seeing you make smoke with it!

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have equipment on order for gunsmithing. Nothing expensive or fancy. I will build a cheap steam box for rust bluing. I plan on getting a carding wheel. For the receiver nickel plating I need to buy some nickel strips. Acraglas for the stock repair. Received an assortment of spring steel for the fabrication of the side snap spring. To reset the spring after heating I will need to pick up a cheap lead pot. I have 250 pounds of lead so…

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I got it all apart except getting the little screw holding the ejector in. With the help of Kroil, a ground down cheap Harbor Freight thick flat screw bit, a drill press, a drill press vice, and a little heat it came right out.

The drill press allows a lot of down force and the chuck works like a big screwdriver handle you turn by hand. Came out essy!
    IMG_0801.jpeg
    IMG_0802.jpeg
    IMG_0804.jpeg

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Top Bottom