• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bung

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Anderson
    My random head thought of this a few minutes ago, for no apparent reason. I remember the Workone here in Anderson has a no guns sign and an armed guard. They also have the FSSA in that building. I was under the impression that this was a government facility (not police or jail) and thought it wasn't legal for them to ban guns in the building. Thoughts?

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Personally I could care less about them posting no gun signs all over the front of the building but I cannot quite grasp why all of these offices think paying for an armed guard is necessary. I have been in several places like this and the guard acts like they run the place. I walked into a Social Security office just to grab some of their pamphlets and literature off of the rack when suddenly this guard approaches me and orders me to take a number and sit down in the waiting area. Guy had a serious attitude problem even after I tried to explain that all I wanted was some papers and forms. He was all like - "You better follow my orders or I'll put you on the deck" From a rent a cop no less.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Personally I could care less about them posting no gun signs all over the front of the building but I cannot quite grasp why all of these offices think paying for an armed guard is necessary. I have been in several places like this and the guard acts like they run the place. I walked into a Social Security office just to grab some of their pamphlets and literature off of the rack when suddenly this guard approaches me and orders me to take a number and sit down in the waiting area. Guy had a serious attitude problem even after I tried to explain that all I wanted was some papers and forms. He was all like - "You better follow my orders or I'll put you on the deck" From a rent a cop no less.
    Because some people don't take "no" for an answer. I've had chairs thrown at me and people try to fight us in the lobby at the branch I work at. Threats against the hearing officers and guards are not unusual.

I can't speak for the guard at the branch you went to, but the location I work at is a secure facility meaning everybody entering the building has to have a invitation to be there. Sounds like the location you went to has a public lobby and in that case I'm not sure why the guard approached you like that.

Last edited:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Maybe because he had a kewl uniform and a shiny "badge" and he just wanted me to respect his "authoritay". But the logic of this still escapes me. Why is it when I go next door into a U. S. Post Office I don't get "protection" by an armed guard?

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Maybe because he had a kewl uniform and a shiny "badge" and he just wanted me to respect his "authoritay". But the logic of this still escapes me. Why is it when I go next door into a U. S. Post Office I don't get "protection" by an armed guard?

Sounds like he was on a power trip. Some people just cannot interact with the public and do their job in a professional manner without trying to glorify themselves. :dunno:

To answer your question, I'm not one in the position to say where armed guards are needed, but I will give my :twocents: I believe we are at those facilities to protect the state employees and the people who are there for a hearing. Whether that be from a lunatic gunman, deranged person, entitled person, or to protect private identification information stored there I cannot specify. All I know is that we are there to do a job and I will do it to the best of my abilities in a unselfish and professional manner.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Sounds like he was on a power trip. Some people just cannot interact with the public and do their job in a professional manner without trying to glorify themselves. :dunno:

To answer your question, I'm not one in the position to say where armed guards are needed, but I will give my :twocents: I believe we are at those facilities to protect the state employees and the people who are there for a hearing. Whether that be from a lunatic gunman, deranged person, entitled person, or to protect private identification information stored there I cannot specify. All I know is that we are there to do a job and I will do it to the best of my abilities in a unselfish and professional manner.

But...but...but... What about those poor State schlubs in the south part of the building? ;)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

I think I would have followed his orders, just long enough to get up to talk to someone to whom he answers... And insisted on talking to a supervisor. Basically, you threaten my person when all I wanted was papers... you insist I get into the queue to talk to someone... OK... but you're not going to like what I tell them. Shoulda left well enough alone.

Threaten to put me on the deck, fine. But I'll put you on the unemployment line.

Blessings,
    Bill

Duke Short

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Don't let them see the pocket clip that has your knife on the other side either. I was accused of hiding it with my keys that were hanging off my belt loop. Same place the same knife has been for over 10 years. Unless it's in use like a tool. But not like the "tool" in the Franklin Work One office. SMH

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

To answer your question, I'm not one in the position to say where armed guards are needed, but I will give my :twocents: I believe we are at those facilities to protect the state employees and the people who are there for a hearing. Whether that be from a lunatic gunman, deranged person, entitled person, or to protect private identification information stored there I cannot specify. All I know is that we are there to do a job and I will do it to the best of my abilities in a unselfish and professional manner.while I "put you on the deck!"
    :rolleyes:
    FIFY!:rolleyes:

Top Bottom