• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Icing in hockey is the defense blasting tag pick to the other end to get a breather from defending. Why doesn't the defense just kick the ball to midfield?

Sorry for my misread on the icing thing...

No problem - they are allowed to do that all they want, and they often do.
    But they've got to get the ball away from the offense in order to do that, and that's easier said than done. Consistently handing the ball over to an offense in soccer is not a recipe for a defensive win - it's a recipe for a butt kicking.

Probably not as much of an issue due to the relatively larger dimensions of the playing field in soccer and maybe the relative slowness of the soccer ball versus the puck.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Uhm... No. If you can't appreciate the skill and plays required for moving the ball around then just watch sports center highlights.

No, I appreciate the skill, the athleticism, all that. I just don't care. What I don't appreciate is unwillingness of sports media in this country to acknowledge that most of us just don't care. If you like soccer, you will seek it out. Stop trying to cram it down the throats of the rest of us. Yes, someday it's popularity will rival other major sports, like water polo;), amongst the Murrican public. Until then, put it on ESPN2 or something...
    ...and give me back my damn ESPN radio!:soapbox:

Sorry, didn't mean to :poop:-up a perfectly good soccer thread with my ugly Murrican, anti-soccer rant. To the less that 10% of my fellow Americans who actually care, please enjoy your quadrennial, 1 month domination of sports media.:yesway:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    No, I appreciate the skill, the athleticism, all that. I just don't care. What I don't appreciate is unwillingness of sports media in this country to acknowledge that most of us just don't care. If you like soccer, you will seek it out. Stop trying to cram it down the throats of the rest of us. Yes, someday it's popularity will rival other major sports, like water polo;), amongst the Murrican public. Until then, put it on ESPN2 or something...

Sorry, didn't mean to :poop:-up a perfectly good soccer thread with my ugly Murrican, anti-soccer rant. To the less that 10% of my fellow Americans who actually care, please enjoy your quadrennial, 1 month domination of sports media.:yesway:

Then don't watch. Turn the channel. I'm sure you can find something else to watch....maybe Gilligan's Island is on...

It's a hell of a lot better than watching a bunch of yuppees driving the same kind of car around in circles for two and half hours.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    What I don't appreciate is unwillingness of sports media in this country to acknowledge that most of us just don't care. If you like soccer, you will seek it out. Stop trying to cram it down the throats of the rest of us. Yes, someday it's popularity will rival other sports"

Record ratings for the match, and it had nearly as many viewers in the US as the final game in NBA finals. Seems mainstream to me...

The World Cup Causes Surge in U.S. TV Audience - Walt Disney (NYSE:DIS) - 24/7 Wall St.

what other sporting event did ESPN not broadcast in favor of World Cup games? Slow sports time right now...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Still haven't watched any of it and care nothing about it. And for the record, I haven't watched an NBA game in.... well before many of you were born...

Emptora

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    USA
    Yeah NBA has turned into a scripted drama similar to WWF. They spend more energy doing their introduction dances and highfives than they do playing good basketball.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Record ratings for the match, and it had nearly as many viewers in the US as the final game in NBA finals. Seems mainstream to me...

The World Cup Causes Surge in U.S. TV Audience - Walt Disney (NYSE:DIS) - 24/7 Wall St.

what other sporting event did ESPN not broadcast in favor of World Cup games? Slow sports time right now...

You're right. It's mainstream. Only a couple of weeks left and we can go back to not thinking about it for another 4 years. If only we could say that about our Presidential races.:):

Still haven't watched any of it and care nothing about it. And for the record, I haven't watched an NBA game in.... well before many of you were born...

I haven't seen an NBA game since Danny Ainge and Kurt Rambis were having a boxing match and a basketball game broke out.:laugh:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

That's rich considering that more people play soccer than, our most beloved, football in the United States, almost double. Baseball and basketball are still the top of the list. Stop whining.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    From What is the most popular sport in the world

Most Frequently Cited Ranked Lists

1) Football: 3.3-3.5 billion fans (Europe, Africa, Asia, Americas, etc.)
    2) Cricket: 2-3 billion fans (India, UK, Pakistan, Asia, Australia, etc.)
    3) Field hockey: 2-2.2 billion fans (Asia, Europe, Africa, Australia)
    4) Tennis: Around 1 billion fans (Europe, Americas, Asia)
    5) Volleyball: Around 900 million fans (Asia, Europe, Americas, Australia)
    6) Table tennis: Around 900 million fans (Asia, Europe, Africa, Americas)
    7) Baseball: Around 500 million fans (US, Japan, Cuba, Dominican Republic)
    8) Golf: Around 400 million fans (US, Canada, Europe)
    9) Gridiron (American football): 390-410 million fans (US mainly)
    10) Basketball: Not more than 400 million fans (US, Canada mainly)

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    We won the space race because we had (captured) better/more German scientists (post WW2) than Russia. Now we have our German team and coach vs. their's. They can't lose even if they lose. lol...I will be watching.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Why would you watch a soccer game? Do you have a five year old girl?

I mean five year old girls have to have something to do other than steal handguns in South Bend.

"If more "Americans" are watching soccer today, it's only because of the demographic switch effected by Teddy Kennedy's 1965 immigration law. I promise you: No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer. One can only hope that, in addition to learning English, these new Americans will drop their soccer fetish with time."

We can only hope. We have to keep our heads together until this soccer craze blows over!

Top Bottom