• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I've been to a few gun shops that look like the locusts just came through. Very small inventory left after the rush.

Hope we don't start losing gun shops as they close up shop because they can't sell anything as they don't have anything. :(

bberg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    well I would think they look like locust went through because they just sold a years worth of product in 2 months. that usually means they made money, so unless they go blow it all on a new Ferrari and buy no new stock they will likely be just fine.

XSVskill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Decatur, IN
    The '94 AWB caused some shops to close because of the panic buying, much like the painic will probably do now. the problem is sustainablity, its nice to sell 3-6 months worth of inventory in 1 or 2 weeks...but when it takes a year or more for distributors to refill the pipeline shops don't have any revenue after the initial rush.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    most shops sell within minutes/hours of receiving inventory.

the only thing the liberals have managed to do, is better arm the population.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I've been to a few gun shops that look like the locusts just came through. Very small inventory left after the rush.

Hope we don't start losing gun shops as they close up shop because they can't sell anything as they don't have anything. :(

All they can really do is raise prices and impose limits on customer purchases to maintain some level of inventory, only to be decried as price gougers by people with no concept of supply and demand. Listening to several reports from Shot Show last week, it's not just the little guys having trouble getting inventory.

dbishop728

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I would agree on how long it takes them to get more inventory. I am sure they did well clearing their shelves. If they can keep the inventory up then this could be their best year

bberg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    As the panic and impulse buying subside and the people that bought what they can't afford realize they need to eat and pay bills I suspect the LGS and the pawn shops will still be doing fine.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Why would they be in trouble? I am certain that right now every producer of AR and most other firearms are working overtime furiously to produce every gun they can, to sell while the buying panic continues. I have no doubt that the "inventory" will remain very low for some time. Inventory does not a profit make. Every GS that gets a shipment in sells it within a week (love to be in a business with that turnover). I don't think any "distributor or manufacturer" is withholding any shipment - it just appears that way as the GS are not accumulating any due to QUICK sales - and no GS is having to lower prices to sell anything. As has been said - none should be in trouble if they don't overspend on non-essentials. Some very small shops may have some problems if the distributors they are working with gives priority to their big customers only. But I really doubt that will happen often as the distributor's future depends on the vendor base they have. They sure don't want any vendors going out of business. Sounds like the perfect business to me. Low inventory = less money invested, High selling prices = higher profit, Quick turnover = Steady income. Actually they probably have to work less hours - When they get ammo or firearms shipped in - they can sell them in a very few hours at this time.

danil

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Mishawaka
    So wait; I thought this was part of the Prez's job creation program-- has at least 1 industry back to work and hiring at record levels.

as for the shops, they'll be fine-- market go up, market come down, market averages out. Good businesses tend to make it despite the bad times and bad business tend to fail regardless of the times-- just a little faster rate in poorer times; I think there are exceptions were good businesses gets knocked off by a bad economy.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Why would they be in trouble? I am certain that right now every producer of AR and most other firearms are working overtime furiously to produce every gun they can, to sell while the buying panic continues. I have no doubt that the "inventory" will remain very low for some time. Inventory does not a profit make. Every GS that gets a shipment in sells it within a week (love to be in a business with that turnover). I don't think any "distributor or manufacturer" is withholding any shipment - it just appears that way as the GS are not accumulating any due to QUICK sales - and no GS is having to lower prices to sell anything. As has been said - none should be in trouble if they don't overspend on non-essentials. Some very small shops may have some problems if the distributors they are working with gives priority to their big customers only. But I really doubt that will happen often as the distributor's future depends on the vendor base they have. They sure don't want any vendors going out of business. Sounds like the perfect business to me. Low inventory = less money invested, High selling prices = higher profit, Quick turnover = Steady income. Actually they probably have to work less hours - When they get ammo or firearms shipped in - they can sell them in a very few hours at this time.

Makes some sense. Smart entrepreneurs will be able to weather the storm. It's not like store A does not have it, so I will take my business to store B. If that was the case, then store A would be in trouble.

However, it is anything but steady income right now. I suspect a lot of gun stores feel like they are in a part time business when it comes to actual sales. Sort of like the game, baseball. A lot of idle moments punctuated by high levels of activity which last for a brief time, then settle back down to idleness.:)

If I was in business right now, I would use this opportunity to update my brick and mortar look, get a new accounting system, computer software or do some analysis on the products I carry. Painting, organizing, something! At least during the idle times.

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    My guess is these shops are going to have a few remorseful buyers hoping to unload their $2500 stripped down Bushmaster to them. It will go something like this "I bought this on armslist for $2500, can you give me $2300???". Reply "no sir, I can give you $700.".

I may be wrong, but we shall see...

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    I visited my LGS this morning to pick up some powder and primers. The powder was the same price it has always been but large rifle primers were $50/K. There were a lot of empty slots in otherwise full gun racks but he still had a better selection than I expected considering the circumstances. There were still ARs and AKs though but very pricey but still less than what you can get them for on gunbroker (or is that go-broker).

There is still quite a bit of ammo of nearly every caliber including .223 on the shelves but it is also pricey.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    It wouldn't bother me one bit if my LGS went out of business today. Right now.
    There have been primers sitting on the shelf there for years for $70/K. Everything else is priced similarly.
    You can imagine what kind of a "deal" someone gets when they trade or sell a gun there.
    All of the Taiwan/Chinese junk AR15 carry handles ect ect ect are touted as "mil spec" and priced much higher than the same thing from LMT, BCM ect.
    This was SOP before the panic. Use your imagination as to how he is conducting himself now.
    What a joke. A very bad joke.

Last edited:

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County

I dont feel bad for them at all (well at least one). I went in a week ago of course just to browse because you never know whats left. I walk in and they have two of the same rifle I have been looking for. I ask the kid behind the corner if I could see it and he gave it to me. I racked the bolt a few times, took the mag out a few times. Just your normal stuff. While "playing" with it I tell the kid that the only dilemma I have is if whether or not I am going to buy both. I told him I was going to buy one, but had to think about both.

He then proceeded to tell me that the one I was holding was their show gun and the other one hadn't even been off the wall. It didn't even have the bolt or mag in it. It didn't even phase me, but it must have sparked the owners interest. He hurryied over and said, "Not trying to be and a** but we need to get that back on the shelf. Whoever is going to buy it deserves a new gun, not one thats being played with. So, lets get it back on the shelf for someone that is actually going to buy it."

I stood there for a second and told the kid thanks and to put it back on the shelf. I was leaving. Turned to the owner and said, "I was going to buy it but not now."

I wont mention the store but its in Fort Wayne and rhymes with Banger Supply.

ZOMBIE2012

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    YEA IM GLAD A FEW SMALL SHOPS HERE MAD MONEY,THEY WERE THE ONLY ONES GIVING GOOD DEALS AND TRYING TO HELP US OUT. THE BIGGER SHOPS DIDNT CARE IF YOU BOUGHT IT OR NOT.THEY FEEL THEY WILL SELL IT TO SOME OTHER GUY

Top Bottom