• ...and so much more!
  • Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Just curious, what are you afraid of?

For me, it's suffocation/drowning. I took a bad spill on a white-water rafting trip in my 20's and the thought of drowning almost paralyzes me (I did eventually go white-water rafting again, just to force myself to face it, but I was white-knuckle rafting the whole way). Also, my allergies make it so hard to breathe during certain parts of the year (like now) that I'm convinced that's what will eventually take me out.

Used to be terrified of heights, but largely have that one managed nowadays.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I'm scared to death that the state of this country today is going to steal from my children the opportunities for success that I enjoyed at the same stage of life they are in now. That is to say they are just getting ready to start out on their own. Tradition generally has been that each generation is able to do a bit better than the previous one. I fear that tradition is about to be broken.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Tight, closed in places -- claustrophobia. I'm not so ate up with it I can't ride in an elevator (my old college room mate was though) but something like a drainage culvert or something of that nature, where I can't maneuver in -- gives me the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've thought about it, and there's not really anything I'm scared of like that. There are things I'm cautious with, to be sure, but bugs, rodents, snakes, whatever. I'd use a forked stick with a rattler, but your garter or blacksnake, I'll just grab it. Kind of the opposite of claustrophobia, I like small spaces and get vertigo in large enclosed spaces. Not a fear thing, just trouble orienting myself. I've flown on airplanes since I was a sprig, but won't now, mostly because me interacting with the TSA would not likely end well. I've fallen off the roof, hit every branch on the ugly tree on the way down, and landed on the edge of the lawn roller with my ribcage. That hurt, but I still go up. My son won't. I've hit 440VAC and it hit back hard; 2kVDC just woke me up that morning, but I still do my house wiring live. Sawed the print off my trigger finger, just jammed it into my pants to stop the bleeding, went in to clean & dress it, went right back to sawing. Bad guys with guns, martial law? There's a lot I still want to do, and I'll fight, but if it's my time I'm at peace with it. I figure the economy is going to crash like nothing anyone's seen, and I'm just about ready for it. I'm also setting up for the boys to learn how to thrive. If it doesn't happen, we're still better off.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    The only 'fear' I ever remember having was of dying alone in some run-down, flea-bag hotel with a single bare light bulb hanging overhead.

I've now negated that possibility, so I'm good. Thanks! :thumbsup:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    If I have a phobia I haven't found it yet.

But I hate wasps with a passion if that counts. They're the only things on this earth that have to die on sight.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Alzheimers.

Not specifically having it (because I would probably be unaware)... but more the consequence to MiniJet. I don't want her to someday look me in the face and say as my only child, "I love you, mom" and not have a clue who she is.
    It's a horrible thing to be on the receiving end of that.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Individually...my greatest fear is simultaneously drowning while being burned alive. Yeah, I know, one might help prevent the other...but both would suck tremendously. Actually thought of another one for those of you that have watched the SAW movies. Remember that scene were the person is thrown into a pit of hypodermic needles? Yeah, that would be almost as bad, if not worse than being set on fire and then drown.

At a family level, it would be getting that phone call from the police that something had happened to either my wife or kids.

Last edited:

kenjb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Heights. Really affects me. Even seeing high places on TV makes my private parts rise up into my abdomen to hide.

However, I can sometimes overcome. Climbed the Leaning Tower of Pisa once, though I stayed to the inside the whole time.

Top Bottom