• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    OK, I am a huge fan of black licorice. I grew up REALLY loving what was apparently real licorice in the form of black laces. Those were the 1/8" thick strands that were typically firmer than Twizzlers and the like.

And of course American black "licorice" is 100% artificial and isnt actually real licorice. You can tell by the way you poop a weird shade of green the next day due to the metric crap ton of food coloring necessary to simulate the blackness.

So last month in one of my youtube rabbit holes I stumbled onto authentic Italian licorice. So I ordered some from amazon. It was pretty good. They were a pinwheel version of the laces from my childhood that you had to peel away to eat. But FAR less sweet. I likened it to IPA beer. It isnt sweet per se, but still tasty but has a slight bitter finish. So if you dont like bitter beer, dont bother with Italian Licorice.

So here is what brought this thread up. Another rabbit hole led me to double salted dutch licorice. The video looked interesting and they seemed worth trying. So I bought a bag from Amazon. In the interest of trying something new. After all, the last adventure was rewarded. (I'll buy again eventually)

Ho. Lee. :poop: . I have never ever never put something that salty in my mouth. It felt like I ate a spoonful of salt. Quite literally. I had to spit it out. It overpowered the normally bold taste of licorice. Within 5 minutes of me opening the box, the candy was in the garbage. Ugh.

So what is the worst thing you ever tried?

Last edited:

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    This doesn’t technically qualify as I didn’t even try this, just smelled: Chitlins.
    Usually I’m very open-minded and will try anything twice, but chitlins, even from a proper reputable Soul Food place, was just NO. Open the container, smell hit me, and into the trash it went.

BTW, if anybody knows of a Lutafisk fry, please let me know :)

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    OK, I am a huge fan of black licorice. I grew up REALLY loving what was apparently real licorice in the form of black laces. Those were the 1/8" thick strands that were typically firmer than Twizzlers and the like.

And of course American black "licorice" is 100% artificial and isnt actually real licorice. You can tell by the way you poop a weird shade of green the next day due to the metric crap ton of food coloring necessary to simulate the blackness.

So last month in one of my youtube rabbit holes I stumbled onto authentic Italian licorice. So I ordered some from amazon. It was pretty good. They were a pinwheel version of the laces from my childhood that you had to peel away to eat. But FAR less sweet. I likened it to IPA beer. It isnt sweet per se, but still tasty but has a slight bitter finish. So if you dont like bitter beer, dont bother with Italian Licorice.

So here is what brought this thread up. Another rabbit hole led me to double salted dutch licorice. The video looked interesting and they seemed worth trying. So I bought a bag from Amazon. In the interest of trying something new. After all, the last adventure was rewarded. (I'll buy again eventually)

Ho. Lee. :poop: . I have never ever never put something that salty in my mouth. It felt like I ate a spoonful of salt. Quite literally. It overpowered the normally bold taste of licorice. Within 5 minutes of me opening the box, the candy was in the garbage. Ugh.

So what is the worst thing you ever tried?
    I spent loads of my youth with my GFather, three gAunts and three GUncles on our familys farm. All of them still spoke German to each other. I was fed unspeakable things as a child. lol

My mother loves Black Licorice, I send her a pound of real root licorice every few months. If its real its usally printed of the front of the package.
    One of the last packages I ordered was black licorice dipped in choc.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I am VERY open minded when it comes to food I don’t think I can think of food I can’t stand…? I think it all depends on who is in the kitchen. Sometimes if I think too hard about who made it or where it was made I can gross myself out… lol

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Black licorice is one of the worst substances ever created to me(sorry to those who like it). Can't even stand the smell.

When we traveled to see my parents we always stopped at Grandpa's Cheese Barn in Ashland Ohio. Lots of good stuff there!! We always bought some black licorice for my father in law who loved it. I would exit the room when he ate it.

Due to my Swedish heritage I love pickled herring (Sill). There are many different kinds, never had Surstromming the really bad smelling kind. Saw it for sale when I visited my brother in Stockholm.

I know this is blasphemy in this part of the country but fried baloney turns my stomach as well.

Don

P.S. - I like pineapple on pizza.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Stinky tofu. Tasted like ripe road-kill smells. One nibble was all I could manage, had to spit it out, and the stink lingered the rest of the evening.

Unforgettably putrid.

Something like this:

Last edited:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I once arrived at my hotel in Moscow late in the evening after a long day. I was incredibly hungry, and the only thing open was a sushi place. Sushi is not exactly my first choice in food under the best of circumstances, and my limited experience with Russian food in general did not offer much hope of this being a good meal.

It was so bad that one bite was enough to convince me that going to bed hungry was the preferable alternative.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Any number of things at the Keflavik Naval Air Station (Iceland) EDF (Enlisted Dining Facility, or Early Death Facility.) Navy chow hall, Icelandic nationals did all the cooking and the couple of Navy types assigned there? Not sure what they did but it sure as hell wasn’t quality assurance.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I got to go to China once for business. That. Most all of that. Except for the fruit and the beer.

The stuff you get at you local Chinese restaurant is not what they eat in China.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Cincinnati style chili
    Harofiskur - Icelandic fish jerky
    Icelandics can’t cook!! Send them out into the Atlantic to catch the fish. Have someone else prepare it.

I agree with both of yours :puke:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Expired yogurt.

Ever had food poisoning so bad you could look yourself in the mirror, watch your vision gray out to nothing, and then wake up on the floor an unknown amount of time later? :toilet2:

When I bought that 25ct yogurt cup I didn't know it came packaged with the experience of dying.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Fried brains. I think it was cow brains. My ex-BIL made them and assured me they were delicious with scrambled eggs. I think I just ate the toast...couldn't get past the texture.

Top Bottom