Would a ban make you reconsider your EDC?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtrlspl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    South Bend
    The other day my friend asked if he could borrow my SIG P220 (my EDC) to shoot this weekend because he is considering buying one. He normally carries a SIG P226, so other than caliber and magazine capacity I do not see many differences between the guns. His only reason for the change is waiting to switch up calibers and in his opinion the only real handgun calibers are 9mm and .45ACP. This lead to another conversation.

If there were a ban on magazines over 10 rounds, but this ban not only banned the manufacture and sale of magazines over 10 rounds, it also banned ownership of any magazines over 10 rounds. Let's also say because of this there is no provision for magazines for pre-ban magazines and they too are now illegal; Would you reconsider your EDC? I know some people choose there EDC based on magazine capacity and will take a smaller caliber because of the increased capacity.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    i have several EDCs, that i choose based on my feeling in the morning, they range from an AK, full-size G22 to subcompact .357 and .32, the latter two being legal under a NY type ban - all of which i'm fully competent with.

however, if you're asking if guns were banned outright, i'd likely stick with my subbies, for the sheer factor of not attracting attention to myself.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    That's actually a pretty good question. Assuming there would be no grandfathering of >10rd mags I think I would consider jumping up to a .45 from a 9 or 40. I know differences between pistol calibers is splitting hairs as far as ballistics go, but I carry a .40 (most of the time) because it has more rounds than the same size pistol offered in .45.

I have no problem controlling recoil from any of the calibers so I think just to get the most out of the equipment available I might jump up to a .45 from my current EDC should that be the circumstance.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    If the ban is going to be retroactive, I would start carrying my G20. Ten rounds of big 10mm would be alright to me.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The AWB of 94 is why I carry a Glock 29. If I was going to be limited to 10 rounds I figured it was best to have the most power I could get in a smaller package.

Point in fact, the AWB of 94 is why we have a lot of the compact guns in higher calibers now, they got their genesis then.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well, the Sig P220 is already by EDC, so no. My backup is a 5 shot .38 revolver, so also no.

If my department allowed it, I'd be carrying my 1911, so still no.

Other than my issued and buy back Glock, I don't think I've got a handgun that would be affected.

PaxRomana

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    A retroactive non-grandfathering mag ban isn't happening on the federal level. Ex post facto laws aren't constitutional, so "The Laut's" bill is DOA. States could do it but not likely. And....no, not changing a thing regardless.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I would not follow arbitrary limits on magazine capacity who could endanger my life and the life of my loved ones if I ever have to use a firearm in a self defense situation.
    I dont plan on switching my fire extinguishers for smaller ones either, that would be putting people's lives in jeopardy as well.

If a law like that was passed it would actually be time to carry more rounds in your gun, not less.:patriot:

:twocents:

Top Bottom